Nov 28 2012
By: MDCitySnake Lombax Warrior 136 posts
Accepted Solution

Jak Guide!!

[ Edited ]
47 replies 983 views Edited Nov 28, 2012

Intro

You might remember that I also made a Radec guide a few days ago.  I love playing my Mid-Range shooters! You can find the Radec guide here: Radec Guide. So onto Jak, he is a Mid-Range shooter who depends much more on his guns and distance than melee.  Jak can generate AP extremely quickly compared to other Mid-Range all-stars.  Jak is best played in 2v2 and not FFA.  He is coupled best with a Dante or Raiden who can keep two targets under a combo for a long time allowing Jak is gain AP.  I am open to constructive critism but not **bleep** noobs.  Please enjoy my guide and be sure to leave a comment! ^-^

Melee-Range Defensive Combat

Jak is NOT a melee fighter.  He will get destoried if you play him in melee-range for the majority of the time.  Jak has a few main melee moves that give him a good amount of AP and distance from the enemy and a few combos.  His first melee move is one of his most important moves, his neutral square.  This move can generate over 30 AP and the last hit of his spin will knock away anybody hit by it a great distance.  The truely amazing thing about this move is that you can hit multiple people with it and you can move while you are spining.  You can also use it in the air while moving as well while falling slowly.  This move should be used the most in melee range because of its knockback, AP, and utility.  Another move of Jak's that is great in close range is a short hop with a little decent into a side square.  His side square causes him to get on his hoverboard and dash in the air.  This can be used to retreat from an enemy as well as using it to hit an enemy.  If you succesfully hit an enemy with the board you may press square to knock them away and give yourself 30 AP.  There are a few good combos in which is ability is very usefull.  The first of which is charging your down circle up all the way then releasing it giving you 20 AP.  Immediately after the shot jump in mid air then use side square and if timed right you should hit him in mid-air, following up with the melee hit, knocking him away and giving you a 55 AP combo.  If you dont have the time to charge up your down circle you can use side square (on the ground), then pressing square again once youve hit the enemy to knock them up into the air.  Once in the air use side square to retreat followed by a neutral square to give yourself extra airtime and distance.  Another great combo is using down circle (uncharged) twice in a row if your oppenent is up against a wall.  This generates 40 AP and knocks them completely to the ground with only two directions to go.  The last good combo to use while in melee range is down circle (uncharged), then holding side triangle.  If you just tap side triangle you will release one shot and then another shot for each time you press square shortly after up to three shots.  Holding the side triangle button automatically caused Jak to shoot out the three shots but releasing before all three shots have been shot will cause the move to stop.   Also if possible using neutral circle before down circle will greatly increase your AP gain.

Mid-Range Offensive Combat

Jak accels at mid-range combat due to his side triangle.  I already discussed the basic principles of this move earlier but I will go more into detail now.  Each shot of his side triangle will knock the affected oppenent back a little bit and if the oppenent is hit by all three shots in a row he will be severly knocked back and knocked down onto the ground.  THIS IS JAK'S BEST MOVE!  Each shot generates 10 AP and is very quick.  The range is about a quarter of the size of the large training map.  Remember that you do not want to be stuck in melee range so escape as soon as possible and continue to use side triangle at mid-range. Also Jak's over circle is a decent move as well. If used at its maximum range, making sure that all three shots hit the enemy it will knock them up into the air enough so that you can use your side square to follow up and create some distance.  This is not a combo but still a good tactic.

AA Combat

Jak's AA (Anti-Air) Combat is very good as well as his mid-range combat.  His up square, up triangle and up circle are his best AA moves.  His up square is very simple straight upwards uppercut generating 20 AP and providing a very very very little knockback.  This move is also not easily combo'ed with anything afterwards.  This move is best used if you need some AP and to create distance between you and your enemy using side square after you hit them with up square.  Up triangle is his best AA move in my opinion. It is a very fast shot that shoots a good amount of distance diagnoly into the air.  This shot explodes once hitting an enemy shortly stunning them and generating 5 AP.  It will also explode at the end of its path.  This move is very good for chain cc.  Once an enemy is hit by your up triangle you can continue to use it continulously stunning them as soon as they recover.  No this is not a combo and they can prevent it but it is a good tactic regardless.  Up circle is a good cc move that generates 5 AP.  This move is very situational due to how long it takes to use it. If used in melee range you will be very vunerable.  This move is good when an oppenent is above you and you can follow this move up with an up triangle.

Downward Aerials

Jak's downward aerials are down square, down circle and down triangle.  Down triangle causes you to shoot your yellow eco gun in the same fashion as your over triangle.  The AP from each shot is halved however and time between shots is increased, the third shot also does not knock then enemy back any further than the first two shots.  This move is situational.  His down square is a hand plant which generates 20 AP and knocks him up into the air.  This move is only good for quick AP generation and escape using side square afterwards.  His down circle causes him to charge his red eco gun and gives him 20 AP when hitting an enemy.  This ability also is unblockable when charged up.  This is the best downward aerial because it knocks the enemy back a great distance allowing you to retreat and get more distance than with down square or to combo with over square resulting in 55 AP and the enemy being knocked back a good distance. 

Grabs

Jak's grabs are good and can create distance between him and his enemy.  His down grab cause him throw him enemy behind him a distance about twice as far as his side triangle can reach.  His up grab throws the enemy up into the air at an angle giving him a great set up for up triangle.  His side grab causes him to punch the enemy in the direction that he is facing creating a distance between him and his target equal to his side triangle.

Supers

Jak's level 1 super is very weak due to its horrible range, lack of possibility of set up and duration.  Jak's level 2 super however is good.  Jak turns into Dark Jak and jumps a short distance infront of him exploding when he hits the ground.  It is best to use this when more than one enemy is near you.  Jak's level 3 super causes him to transform into White Jak.  Your square will throw out balls of white eco.  Your triangle will generate a shield killing anyone who comes in contact with it and your circle will daze nearby enemies and cause them to float if in the air.  I reccomend using his level 2 super because it is easy to get multiple kills with it while the cost being much lower than his level 3 super.

Thank you!

Thank you so much for reading my guide!  I would greatly appreciate it if you would leave a comment down below telling me what you thought of it.  Have fun and good luck! ^_^

By: DarkHowl

Kudos for one of the few Jak guides up now. As someone who mains Jak, it'll be nice to see if guides like these start making him a little more common.

A couple of things I wanted to point out:

- I feel like Jak does just as well in FFA as 2v2. In fact, FFA is where is Lv1 becomes deadly. When you have a few people fighting on a platform on Time Station (for example), you can easily pop a Lv1 and get a double kill from below. It's a situational anti-air super but not as bad as people think.

- His side triangle actually hits people right behind your target too. It's great crowd control.

- I somewhat disagree with your Lv2 analysis. While it is possible to get a multi-kill with his Lv2, it does have a lengthy wind up time. If you aren't careful, it is very possible that you miss hitting anyone with it. I find that it is best if you can gather people in a corner of a map and pop it. Also important to point out that the AoE is above ground only. So if you pop the super on a platform higher up, it will not kill anyone below.

- You should probably add this to his Lv3: X button causes him to dash across the field rather quickly. As the shield takes only a touch to kill, a dash is very potent while that is up. Also, the beam attack on square has an AoE explosion once it hits the ground or wall. The ground explosion is deadly in that it often kills a person that just tried rolling out of the beam's way.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 48 (983 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5278 posts

Re: Jax Guide!!

Nov 28, 2012
thanks i will make sure to try this on mortal kombat later.
#ProtectorProgramme
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 48 (970 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1785 posts

Re: Jak Guide!!

Nov 28, 2012
Change the title to Jak instead of Jax otherwise it sounds like you're refering to Jax from Mortal Kombat lol that's why I came here and I'm sure others will for the same reason.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 48 (955 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
136 posts

Nov 28, 2012
yeah i changed it ive been playing too much LoL :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 48 (952 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
814 posts

Nov 28, 2012
We should do some Jak 1v1's as well as Radec 1v1's, then try out a Jak team online :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 48 (951 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
136 posts

Nov 28, 2012

Myztyrio wrote:
We should do some Jak 1v1's as well as Radec 1v1's, then try out a Jak team online :smileytongue:

we should the cc would be ridiculous messege me when ur on

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 48 (942 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
559 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 28, 2012

NERF JAX

OP

OP

ALSO NERF DARIUS, IRELIA, KATARINA, AND DIANA. AND VAYNE

lol

Good guide, I kept thinking of LoL Jax aswell.

o3o' if your reading this! You need to like kitties more!
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 48 (933 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
814 posts

Nov 28, 2012
I shall. Probably gonna be around 3-4.
One other thing for the guide - I noticed a very effective way to actually USE his forward circle. IF the shots connect, you can usually follow it up with a hoverboard combo. So the move isn't useless at all, even though it does only 10 ap, I think people have misjudged it. I think it's one of his best, as it can set up into combos pretty easily. I've caught lots of people off guard by using it as they approach me.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 48 (930 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
136 posts

Nov 28, 2012

Myztyrio wrote:
I shall. Probably gonna be around 3-4.
One other thing for the guide - I noticed a very effective way to actually USE his forward circle. IF the shots connect, you can usually follow it up with a hoverboard combo. So the move isn't useless at all, even though it does only 10 ap, I think people have misjudged it. I think it's one of his best, as it can set up into combos pretty easily. I've caught lots of people off guard by using it as they approach me.

thanks man ima test it out then include it and are u EST?

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 48 (924 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
814 posts

Nov 28, 2012
Cool. And I'm in the Midwest. So I'm guessing that's an hour difference? Not really sure which way
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 48 (920 Views)
0 Likes