Survivor
2365 posts

Re: It takes no skill to kill confirm

Feb 4, 2013

King_Cobra97 wrote:

Did you think we were talking about confirms the whole time? I was just talking in general. However I will explain why.

Currently most supers go like this:

1) Cheap and safe to use, 1-3 kills. No point in grabbing to get rid of.

2) Cost more than 1, safe to use, 1-3 kills. Mild grab loss.

3) Cost a lot, safe to use, 3-6 kills. Hardest to get because of grabs.

Level 1s seem the best. Why go for a 3 when a 1 is safe, the cheapest, and is safe from grabs, or even a 2 for that matter?

EDIT: changed the wording a bit, oh, and post 1,212! 

In a game with people at high levels, I've seen a lot of level 2 actually. When the game is really running that hard and close, you'd be surprised how hard it is to use that level 1 confirm. Sometimes, it's so impossible you give in and go to level 2, and sometimes it's even WORSE and you are forced to go to level 3 out of desperation, even a cinematic one just to get that kill. A lot of the top matches in my tournament get THAT close. 

A lot of the problems people face is in FFA. We have to remeber we have THREE game modes in this game, this game isn't ONLY FFA. I know level 3 should be the big thing in FFA but FFA just wont ever be an actual competitive game mode, there are too many variables. 2v2 and 1v1 are, and confirms while used aren't as easy to manage there. I admit it's an issue in FFA and doesn't make sense, but trying to totally balance based on FFA ruins the rest of the game. All game modes must be taken into account. Without confirms my 1v1 tournaments would have matches going for hours at a time and I'm serious about that. Throwing out a random super is MUCH to easy to avoid at a high level.

"They can use it all they want that is not what I'm saying...what I'm saying is dont say you're good because you're not you are just winning by confirming we all know what true skill is and isn't "

True skill comes from beating your opponent. If you cannot beat them, they have more skill then you fair and simple. You cannot take the win or loss out of your own hands. If you can't beat the confirm, you lost. It isn't their fault, it is yours. You must practice harder and become better, not have the game changed for you.

Message 61 of 193 (126 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7531 posts

Feb 4, 2013

Aylas_Hero wrote:

King_Cobra97 wrote:

Did you think we were talking about confirms the whole time? I was just talking in general. However I will explain why.

Currently most supers go like this:

1) Cheap and safe to use, 1-3 kills. No point in grabbing to get rid of.

2) Cost more than 1, safe to use, 1-3 kills. Mild grab loss.

3) Cost a lot, safe to use, 3-6 kills. Hardest to get because of grabs.

Level 1s seem the best. Why go for a 3 when a 1 is safe, the cheapest, and is safe from grabs, or even a 2 for that matter?

EDIT: changed the wording a bit, oh, and post 1,212! 

In a game with people at high levels, I've seen a lot of level 2 actually. When the game is really running that hard and close, you'd be surprised how hard it is to use that level 1 confirm. Sometimes, it's so impossible you give in and go to level 2, and sometimes it's even WORSE and you are forced to go to level 3 out of desperation, even a cinematic one just to get that kill. A lot of the top matches in my tournament get THAT close. 

A lot of the problems people face is in FFA. We have to remeber we have THREE game modes in this game, this game isn't ONLY FFA. I know level 3 should be the big thing in FFA but FFA just wont ever be an actual competitive game mode, there are too many variables. 2v2 and 1v1 are, and confirms while used aren't as easy to manage there. I admit it's an issue in FFA and doesn't make sense, but trying to totally balance based on FFA ruins the rest of the game. All game modes must be taken into account. Without confirms my 1v1 tournaments would have matches going for hours at a time and I'm serious about that. Throwing out a random super is MUCH to easy to avoid at a high level.

"They can use it all they want that is not what I'm saying...what I'm saying is dont say you're good because you're not you are just winning by confirming we all know what true skill is and isn't "

True skill comes from beating your opponent. If you cannot beat them, they have more skill then you fair and simple. You cannot take the win or loss out of your own hands. If you can't beat the confirm, you lost. It isn't their fault, it is yours. You must practice harder and become better, not have the game changed for you.

Winning by confirming 3 kills over the other guy while he gets 2 off you fairly is not being more skilled than him you are terribly mistaken........

Sleep Matt signature
Message 62 of 193 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2365 posts

Feb 4, 2013
How is a confirmed kill less fair then another kill?

You must have a realizing moment. You are trying to make an excuse as to why you are not winning instead of going out there and winning.

Read this again please. I'm not trying to sound arrogant or talk down to people, but what is written there is true. Your attitude is wrong, and you will not get better until it changes!

1.3 – Do Not Label Things As Cheap:

“You can’t blame your opponents for applying a strategy that beats your brains out with regularity.” ~ Bill Clinton

“When your opponent does something that is working, and you haven't found a way to beat it yet, DO NOT label it as a cheap tactic. What that does is shift the responsibility away from yourself, so you don't have to find a way to beat it. ~ Juggs, testyourmight.com moderator

What Juggs said is 100% correct. The only tactics that are "cheap" are the one's that are banned in tournaments. (In this game, usually online combo exploits caused by lag.)

"Well I just won't play that player who is using that tactic". If you're not trying to get better and just playing to play, I guess I would understand that. However, if you want to get better, that's the worst statement you can utter. What the problem is, is that you want to win. And when a player is doing something you can't win against, you want to give it a label to justify losing to it, or losing to that player in general. Instead of actually putting in the effort of finding ways to beat the tactic, it's far easier to just say that the player was playing "cheap" and refuse to play people who play like that.” ~ Juggs

Do not have that kind of attitude. Accept that your victory or loss is held within your own hands, and use all the tools available to you to win. "My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength." ~ Michael Jordon Find a way to turn your weaknesses into strengths instead of blaming them on outside sources. This will help you improve.
Message 63 of 193 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7531 posts

Feb 4, 2013

Aylas_Hero wrote:

You must have a realizing moment. You are trying to make an excuse as to why you are not winning instead of going out there and winning.

Read this again please. I'm not trying to sound arrogant or talk down to people, but what is written there is true. Your attitude is wrong, and you will not get better until it changes!

“You can’t blame your opponents for applying a strategy that beats your brains out with regularity.” ~ Bill Clinton

“When your opponent does something that is working, and you haven't found a way to beat it yet, DO NOT label it as a cheap tactic. What that does is shift the responsibility away from yourself, so you don't have to find a way to beat it. ~ Juggs, testyourmight.com moderator

What Juggs said is 100% correct. The only tactics that are "cheap" are the one's that are banned in tournaments. (In this game, usually online combo exploits caused by lag.)

"Well I just won't play that player who is using that tactic". If you're not trying to get better and just playing to play, I guess I would understand that. However, if you want to get better, that's the worst statement you can utter. What the problem is, is that you want to win. And when a player is doing something you can't win against, you want to give it a label to justify losing to it, or losing to that player in general. Instead of actually putting in the effort of finding ways to beat the tactic, it's far easier to just say that the player was playing "cheap" and refuse to play people who play like that.” ~ Juggs

Do not have that kind of attitude. Accept that your victory or loss is held within your own hands, and use all the tools available to you to win. "My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength." ~ Michael Jordon Find a way to turn your weaknesses into strengths instead of blaming them on outside sources. This will help you improve.

Again as I stated confirms are for a strategic use not abuse which apparently you are not understanding.......ABUSE of kill confirms is what is being addressed not the actual kill confirms

Sleep Matt signature
Message 64 of 193 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7531 posts

Feb 4, 2013

Lol and by the way I win just fine I have played with everyone in the top 20 on the leader boards and I don't need any of these kill confirms to beat anyone if I can do it so can everyone else plain and simple

Sleep Matt signature
Message 65 of 193 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2365 posts

Feb 4, 2013
What constitutes as abuse? Using them to win a game? Using them to get all of your kills?

Is using a strategy that wins something that should be frowned upon? No.

They are a game mechanic that WORKS. Not using them when you can use them as many times as you want to win is just denying yourself all the tolls you have. Plain and simple.
Message 66 of 193 (105 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1147 posts

Feb 4, 2013

SteepMatt wrote:

Aylas_Hero wrote:

Again as I stated confirms are for a strategic use not abuse which apparently you are not understanding.......ABUSE of kill confirms is what is being addressed not the actual kill confirms

Actually, no. That's not what the topic is about. The topic was simply a broad statement that it takes no skill to use them. I would also argue that it takes no skill to avoid them.

Message 67 of 193 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7531 posts

Feb 4, 2013

Aylas_Hero wrote:
What constitutes as abuse? Using them to win a game? Using them to get all of your kills?

They are a game mechanic that WORKS. Not using them when you can use them as many times as you want to win is just denying yourself all the tolls you have. Plain and simple.

Unfortunately it is frowned upon .......if they are as good as they swear they are they wouldn't need it would they? Sure you win because you're using it cool but you're not good.......you're good when you can go out and get double kills with a level 1 with no confirms or when you get to level 3 by doing different combos not the same one.....kill confirms and spams are nothing to be proud of and I hope all those kill confirmers are happy with tainted wins 

Sleep Matt signature
Message 68 of 193 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7531 posts

Feb 4, 2013

Levi_Skardsen wrote:

SteepMatt wrote:

Aylas_Hero wrote:

Actually, no. That's not what the topic is about. The topic was simply a broad statement that it takes no skill to use them. I would also argue that it takes no skill to avoid them.

I meant that I am addressing that not you lol

Sleep Matt signature
Message 69 of 193 (98 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1147 posts

Feb 4, 2013

SteepMatt wrote:

Aylas_Hero wrote:

Unfortunately it is frowned upon .......if they are as good as they swear they are they wouldn't need it would they? Sure you win because you're using it cool but you're not good.......you're good when you can go out and get double kills with a level 1 with no confirms or when you get to level 3 by doing different combos not the same one.....kill confirms and spams are nothing to be proud of and I hope all those kill confirmers are happy with tainted wins 

Frowned upon by who? What demographic are you representing? If you're talking about forum members, then that's a very low minority of the actual playerbase for the game.

Message 70 of 193 (96 Views)
0 Likes