Survivor
2456 posts

Re: It takes no skill to kill confirm

Feb 3, 2013
It's not that I can't avoid them, its that they ruin the games pace and make it in to a running away game as soon as certain characters get level 1. It also gives people no risk for using their level 1 instead of going for level 2 or 3. Before the game came out and during the beta I was under the impression that level 1's were supposed to have risk.
Message 21 of 193 (294 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
273 posts

Feb 3, 2013
can you imagine if they brought sephiroth into this game? his KC would be from across the screen lol
Message 22 of 193 (279 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
572 posts

Feb 3, 2013

King_Cobra97 wrote:

I love when people say adapt or learn to avoid them because most people here probably can, do you think we're idiots? The problem is that kill confrims aren't making this game any better, they're ruining the super higharchy. You can adapt to a life in the desert but no matter how you look at it your home is better.  

but if there were no kill confirms with lvl 1s or 2s, the entire game would be a race to see who gets to their OP lvl 3 first. KCs make it so that even lvl 1s or 2s can be dangerous in the right hands and that you should always pay attention to your opponent

ouyofo.jpg

Message 23 of 193 (273 Views)
Survivor
2456 posts

Feb 3, 2013
^it takes more skill to time a level 1 or 2 then to get a kill confirm with it. Most level 2's are powerful enough anyways to where you don't need a kill confirm. Because of these kill confirms I HARDLY ever see level 3's anymore, it kind of defeats the purpose of having them when I'm the only player who seems to go for them.
Message 24 of 193 (267 Views)
Wastelander
587 posts

Feb 3, 2013

Xarf wrote:

but if there were no kill confirms with lvl 1s or 2s, the entire game would be a race to see who gets to their OP lvl 3 first. KCs make it so that even lvl 1s or 2s can be dangerous in the right hands and that you should always pay attention to your opponent

Going to disagree with you, here. I sincerely doubt that people would rely soley on their Level 3 just because there are no Kill Confirms. Without Kill Confirms, Level 2 Supers are still very easy to land when used well and Level 1 Supers would just require more timing, skill, and tactical thinking to be utilized efficiently. Which is the way I think it should be.

Kill Confirms aren't what make Level 1 and 2 Supers viable. Kill Confirms are what make Level 1 and 2 Supers multiples of times stronger than they really should be.

Message 25 of 193 (261 Views)
Wastelander
587 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 3, 2013

[This is my post from a thread asking people on their thoughts about Kill Confirms. The thread didn't recieve much traffic, so it was pretty quiet, but my post was rell-recieved and managed to earn 7 kudos relatively quickly with no arguements to follow. Because of this, I believe it to be a good idea to copy and paste it in this thread.]

"I've spoken about my thoughts on Kill Confirms several times in this forum. Usually during times of frustration against the game or other people in general. This time, I'll try to clearly portray my thoughts in a calm matter and hope that it'll broaden peoples' views on this matter.

For the most part, I am against Kill Confirms. I only rely on them when I play as Spike and Sackboy -- Aerial B-Launcher and Electric Panel respectively -- but I feel that those are acceptable due to the short opportunity you have to land Supers with those set-ups. Either way, no matter what excuse I make, I'm still a hypocrite. I think this will add to a point I'll be making soon, though.

I personally believe that Kill Confirms makes matches stale. Due to their nature to very easily combo into a Super, they remove a lot of the depth during matches. Those who rely on Kill Confirms have very little to no reason to use any other Super other than Level 1. They're basically ignoring a large part of their characters' ability. I can't really fault them, either, when all that matters to them is winning. Kill Confirms into Level 1 Supers (or even Level 2 in some cases) are quick, cheap, and efficient. 

On another note. I wish to quickly address this. When people defend Kill Confirms by saying all you have to do is dodge, block, or jump, I really want to make this clear that being defensive in a fighting game is common sense. There is no need to repeat to people the bare basics of the game just to back up your point. It does not make your argument any stronger. All you are doing is indirectly calling the person you are telling this to a simpleton. Yes, there is skill involved avoiding Kill Confirms and Supers in general. No, it's not that hard to do so. This does not in any way negate how easy it is to land Kill Confirms and gain kills. All that you'd have to do is change up your tactics to make yourself less predictable. Which is also a very normal thing to do in a fighting game. This goes into my next point.

Kill Confirms numb the skill of people who rely on them. There's little technical ability being used when people get into their mind that, 'all I have to do is land this one move and Super right after'. On the other hand, there's quite a bit more technical ability used when a person starts thinking, 'perhaps if I can hit them with that and follow up with that, I can catch them off guard and land the Super'. The sheer nature of Kill Confirms keep people from trying their hardest since they makes things so much easier. This is where my argument comes from that Kill Confirms hurt the game tremendously. Watching two skilled players fight. Seeing all these combos that are incredibly difficult to pull off. All that intensity . . . immediately diminishes once you see them Kill Confirming. There's no, "Oh,snap!" moments that come from that. Just, "Hmm, he got him." 

There's also the other moral argument when it comes to Kill Confirms and sportsmanship that I don't really need to get into. There's an honor system a group of players, including myself (save for the hypocrisy that occurs when I use Sackboy or Spike), employ when playing this game that makes them refuse using any Kill Confirms at all. Which leads to them gaining more respect when they win. Hopefully, from both sides of the argument. 

I hoped this made things easier to understand from the opposing side."

Message 26 of 193 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
572 posts

Feb 3, 2013
but lvl 3s have always been for flash and finesse. Besides, if they took out KCs or any setup that guarantees a kill, which is what KCs are, then the game would take even less skill due to the only way to get kills would be to press R2 and pray it connects.

More high level play would be even more boring because they would be constantly dodging supers and we would get to 3,4,5x overtime until somebody messes up.

ouyofo.jpg

Message 27 of 193 (250 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
572 posts

Feb 3, 2013
also, games would last forever(especially in stock matches) if there was no way to punish your opponent for getting caught in your setup

ouyofo.jpg

Message 28 of 193 (245 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1174 posts

Feb 3, 2013

I find it funny that the same people who tech my parappa techable kill confirms are usually the same people who would be caught off guard and caught by mic grab to super

Skill, Coordination, and Experience will lead a team to victory.
Message 29 of 193 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
587 posts

Feb 3, 2013

Xarf wrote:
but lvl 3s have always been for flash and finesse. Besides, if they took out KCs or any setup that guarantees a kill, which is what KCs are, then the game would take even less skill due to the only way to get kills would be to press R2 and pray it connects.

More high level play would be even more boring because they would be constantly dodging supers and we would get to 3,4,5x overtime until somebody messes up.

1. Removing something that takes minimal skill to execute in no way lessens skill. No one would be unwise enough as to just throw out their supers willy-nilly. More than likely, skill would highten since players now have the think about how and when to use their Supers instead of just relying on a Kill Confirm to do the hard work for them. 

2. You're not thinking about this well enough. Is it really less boring to watch people take each other out with the same process over and over again instead of watching two players duke it out, trying to get their setups down so that they can come out on top? Battles would become more intense (more likely) because you're watching two players give it their all. Paying more attention to where their opponent is and when they're open. Watching out so that they're not caught off-guard and trying to make as little mistakes as possible. Predicting each other's movements. Timing. Skill. Precision. These things would shine much more if Kill Confirms were not in the game.

Message 30 of 193 (231 Views)
0 Likes