Wastelander
587 posts

Re: It takes no skill to kill confirm

[ Edited ]
Feb 3, 2013

Xarf wrote: 

let it be known that Im not trying to start a fight and that Im just trying to have an intelligent discussion with you Smiley Happy

I appreciate that. (:

I argure that while Kill Confirming and the counterplay involved does require skill, this whole meta numbs the amount of skill a player could have, but doesn't use due to Kill Confirms being involved. The example you gave with Sweet Tooth is a good example of how this game could (and should) be played without using his Kill Confirm. 

I'm distracted right now, so I can't go as in depth as I want, but I go more into depth about what I mean when I say "numb" in my big post that I copied and pasted if you haven't already read it. 

Message 41 of 193 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
572 posts

Feb 3, 2013

GaleDaWindMasta wrote:

The example you gave with Sweet Tooth is a good example of how this game could (and should) be played without using his Kill Confirm. 

just to clarify, the example I was using with Sweet Tooth is his kill confirm.

ouyofo.jpg

Message 42 of 193 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
193 posts

Feb 3, 2013
It doesn't take any skill, why do you think people do them? So they can feel "badass" cause they beat someone, but all they did was use no-skill to puff themselves up. Ratchet's suction gun knocks you down and put you in just the right distance for his Super lvl 1. Sir Daniel can throw you in the air and instantly chain into his Super lvl 1 or 2. Drake can do the same. Not all characters seem to have these, and because of that, the game will never be balanced.
Message 43 of 193 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
587 posts

Feb 3, 2013
I'm distracted right now, so I didn't analyze that well enough. I'll get back to you when I'm more free. XD
Message 44 of 193 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Survivor
2365 posts

Feb 3, 2013
Sorry guys, Confirms are here to stay. Did you watch So Cal regionals where they talked about confirms totally casually as though THEY WERE INTENDED IN THE GAME.

But, looks like it's time for that huge snippet from my attitude guide again! The rest is coming soon! Smiley Wink

1 – Attitude And Emotions:

“Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.”  ~Winston Churchill

This is where you must start. If you are not willing to adopt the right attitude, stop reading NOW. "Morale and attitude are the fundamentals to success." Bud Wilkinson

1.1 - Remaining Positive:

“The only disability in life is a bad attitude.”  ~Scott Hamilton

A positive attitude is a requirement to bettering yourself in this game. I can 100% guarantee that if your attitude suffers, your play will suffer accordingly. Start every session playing this game with a mind set that ANYTHING is possible. The impossible can always be broken down into possibilities.

There are many simple ways to work on your attitude. One of the best ways is just to turn negative thoughts into positives. For example, replace “I can't win against this!” to “I WILL find a way to beat this!” “Let's hope I win” to I WILL win!” Even a simple change in grammar will improve your gameplay, use this to your advantage.

1.2 – Positivity As A Strength:

“Happiness is an attitude.  We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong.  The amount of work is the same.”  ~Francesca Reigler

See that strong there? Become strong!

This will be an important part of your mental game. We will discuss this in depth later, but it needs to be addressed here as well. If you fight an opponent at equal strength, and you have a more positive attitude then they do you WILL win. Do not allow your mind to be clouded with negative thoughts. Every thought is a seed.  “If you plant crab apples, don't count on harvesting Golden Delicious.”  ~Bill Meyer. In other words, you reap what you sow. If you say you WILL win and stay positive about it, you will find yourself winning more matches.

1.3 – Do Not Label Things As Cheap:

“You can’t blame your opponents for applying a strategy that beats your brains out with regularity.” ~ Bill Clinton

“When your opponent does something that is working, and you haven't found a way to beat it yet, DO NOT label it as a cheap tactic. What that does is shift the responsibility away from yourself, so you don't have to find a way to beat it. ~ Juggs, testyourmight.com moderator

What Juggs said is 100% correct. The only tactics that are "cheap" are the one's that are banned in tournaments. (In this game, usually online combo exploits caused by lag.)

"Well I just won't play that player who is using that tactic". If you're not trying to get better and just playing to play, I guess I would understand that. However, if you want to get better, that's the worst statement you can utter. What the problem is, is that you want to win. And when a player is doing something you can't win against, you want to give it a label to justify losing to it, or losing to that player in general. Instead of actually putting in the effort of finding ways to beat the tactic, it's far easier to just say that the player was playing "cheap" and refuse to play people who play like that.” ~ Juggs

Do not have that kind of attitude. Accept that your victory or loss is held within your own hands, and use all the tools available to you to win. "My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, then I will turn that perceived weakness into a strength." ~ Michael Jordon Find a way to turn your weaknesses into strengths instead of blaming them on outside sources. This will help you improve.

1.4 Accepting Defeat:

“You know what makes a good loser? Practice.” Ernest Hemmingway

If you learn from a loss you have not lost. You will not win every game you play. You must accept this. One of the ONLY ways to bet better is by losing!

“Instead of getting angry or frustrated when you lose, take a step back and ask yourself why it was that you lost. Ask yourself, "What did your opponent do? How were you losing? What could you have done differently? Why were you doing the things you were doing?", etc. Once you train yourself to do this, you will slowly stop getting upset after you lose, and start learning from your loss.” -Juggs

He again is absolutely correct. “Sometimes by loosing the battle, you will find a way to win the war.” ~ Donald Trump. “I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot .. and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed.” ~ Michael Jordon. Keep these things in mind as they are absolutely true. Losing is the best way to get better.

1.5 - Controlling Your Emotions After A Loss:

“I never thought of losing, but now that it's happened, the only thing is to do it right. That's my obligation to all the people who believe in me. We all have to take defeats in life.” ~ Muhhamad Ali, comment after losing to Ken Norton, Mar. 31, 1973

You must learn to keep your cool when you don't win a match. YOU WILL NEVER WIN 100% OF YOUR MATCHES. Trust me, you are human. You make mistakes.

“It's completely understandable if you get upset right after you lose a match. I get that, I've been there. It's better to not get upset, but if you just can't avoid it, it's understandable. What you would do then is try and let it go. The first step would be to not put too much emotion into a single match. Your judgement will be severely crowded if you're too emotional while you're playing. Try not to think about the opponents emotions either. Don't say "Oh, he's just messing with me", or "Wow, he's turtling just to **bleep** me off!". Your opponent may very well be trying to do these things, but it only works if you think that's what he's doing. Instead, say to yourself, "What's his next move going to be", or "What is my next move going to be, and why". Now, these questions are kinda hard to process for a newer player. But you have to start somewhere. Just replace the negative thoughts into productive thoughts. 

The players who excel the quickest and the furthest are the one's who can move past a loss after analyzing why it was that they lost. After a loss don't say, "Man, I'm so bad", or "Wow, I'm a scrub", "He's too good", etc.”  ~ Juggs

Brush it off. Don't go on some angry cursing spree or blame the lag, or that “cheap” tactic. People will loose respect for you, and in turn you will find it harder to find sparring partners and communities that accept you with kindness. “The trouble with being a good sport is that you have to lose to prove it.” ~ Croft M. Pentz When given the opportunity, prove it.

1.6 – A Strong Mental Game

There is nothing that will make you lose faster then being angry. Your own mind can throw the game for you! Don't let his happen!

Your first test will be during a match. Other players will play minds games with you. If you are online and your opponent has a mic, or if you are in person with a crowd watching there will be noise. There might be taunts, oohs and ahs, and even cursing if you have a particularly unlucky day.

You need to to close off your mind and ignore it. Many players have sound proof headphones to block out noise. A cheaper easier way to do it is get your ear buds out and play some music that gets you pumped and ready to go!

In most tournament and competitive settings, matches are best 2/3 with a double elimination bracket.

Why do I bring this up? More then likely in a tournament or competitive setting you will lose a fight, and have a chance to fight another. You can make a comeback.

After loosing a match is one of the biggest moments where your mental game will get a test. Let's say you just got 3 stocked twice in a row. Be honest with yourself, you just were trashed. Take a minute to breath and calm down. Especially if you have another match to fight, or you will now be making your way through a loser's bracket, this is NOT the time to be negative with yourself.

Now is the time to say “I will mount my comeback!” or “I'll rampage through the loser's bracket and get a second shot at him!”

“I never looked at the consequences of missing a big shot... when you think about the consequences you always think of a negative result." ~Michael Jordan

Also, NEVER let your guard down. “Push yourself again and again. Don’t give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.” ~ Larry Bird The moment you get cocky, or decide the match is an easy win is the moment the opponent will come back and destroy you. Also, if you are down don't just give up. This leads us perfectly to the next section.
Message 45 of 193 (148 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
273 posts

Feb 3, 2013
i can't believe i actually read that entire last post.
Message 46 of 193 (144 Views)
Survivor
2365 posts

Feb 3, 2013
Good thing you did! If you apply that to things like confirms instead of complaining, your skills will improve.
Message 47 of 193 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
397 posts

Feb 3, 2013
I use the gigapunch KC and the block to KC with evil Cole in every match and I love love love (no sarcasm) when people start blocking it, it means that people are getting better at the game and that causes me to think of new tactics midgame that's why I love this game it makes me think and analyze the match in order to plan what to do, and don't say the up throw is a KC every time because it doesn't work all the time, the down circle is a KC only if you use the super right when they get trapped
Message 48 of 193 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1602 posts

Feb 3, 2013

Aylas_Hero wrote:
Sorry guys, Confirms are here to stay. Did you watch So Cal regionals where they talked about confirms totally casually as though THEY WERE INTENDED IN THE GAME.

So your saying if something was intended it's justified?

Message 49 of 193 (126 Views)
Survivor
2365 posts

Feb 3, 2013
Well, if the game makers PUT IT IN THE GAME I would assume it is meant to be used in the game. Especially if the commentators, who are employees for good parts of the time, talk about them and compliment them being used right.
Message 50 of 193 (117 Views)
0 Likes