Dec 17 2012
By: ItsLuigiTime Uncharted Territory 1087 posts
Accepted Solution

It's unfortunate.

16 replies 343 views Edited Dec 17, 2012

First of all, I should point out that I don't play this game THAT often.  Usually during the evening I sit down to play for an hour or two, or throughout the day in short bursts.

But lately, whenever I try to play the game I usually leave stressed and frustrated, be it from single-player, ranked FFA, or unranked 2v2.  It could be for a variety of reasons, and usually not due to spammers/OP characters in online play (though those are sometimes a factor).  Sometimes it's even from losing fair and square to a higher-level player, where I try my hardest to win but can't.  Even when I win matches, I keep leaving frustrated at the ones I lost badly in.  I'm not complaining by any means; it's just a trend I'm noticing with myself.

Maybe it's because the game puts such an emphasis on online play?  Maybe it's because I'm not used to the Super system compared to Smash?  Maybe it's because I main Sir Dan and I just suck at him?

It's unfortunate, because I love this game.  I love interacting with the community here, I love drawing PSASBR fanart and making stuff in Photoshop, and I love the very idea of all these awesome PlayStation icons duking it out in the same game.  But when it comes to actually playing the game-- the one thing that really matters-- it just makes me worse off in the end.  Sometimes I even feel like I enjoy jumping around and looking at all the characters' moves more than the fighting itself.

Anyone know why all of this may be, and what I could do?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 17 (343 Views)
Fender Bender
4080 posts

Re: It's unfortunate.

Dec 17, 2012

Try maining someone else, someone less underpowered than sir dan

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 17 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
181 posts

Dec 17, 2012

uh... well... you could just watch videos of the game? I dunno man... train? o_o

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 17 (331 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
764 posts

Dec 17, 2012

Try another character. Otherwise, just practice making combos and set ups. Dan isn't exactly a good character for someone who plays as little as you. Other than that, others may win simply because they play more than you.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 17 (330 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Dec 17, 2012
Sir Dan is not underpowered, he simply requires more skill than other characters like Kratos and Raiden.

It's true, you may just have to play around with different characters and see who fits your play style. Whether it be quick and up front or strategic and precise.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 17 (315 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1087 posts

Dec 17, 2012

Xx_AngeLoNe_xX wrote:

Try another character. Otherwise, just practice making combos and set ups. Dan isn't exactly a good character for someone who plays as little as you. Other than that, others may win simply because they play more than you.

Well, I actually don't play that little, either.  I've gotten to around Level 800-ish with him. :smileytongue:  But you're right, though, maybe I should try someone else.  I actually got to around 350 with Drake before I picked up Sir Dan, so maybe I should switch back.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 17 (314 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
764 posts

Dec 18, 2012

ItsLuigiTime wrote:

Xx_AngeLoNe_xX wrote:

Well, I actually don't play that little, either.  I've gotten to around Level 800-ish with him. :smileytongue:  But you're right, though, maybe I should try someone else.  I actually got to around 350 with Drake before I picked up Sir Dan, so maybe I should switch back.

Do you like Sir Dan as a character? Or like MediEvil as a franchise? Because unlike SSB, in this you can't choose someone just because you like them. Choose someone who plays the way you want. I wanted to use Jak and Dan because I like them, but I hate how they play. I stick to Ratchet and Dante. Try out the others, and whoever you like best, use. Good luck in your future matches!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 17 (296 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1087 posts

Dec 18, 2012

Xx_AngeLoNe_xX wrote:

ItsLuigiTime wrote:

Xx_AngeLoNe_xX wrote:

Do you like Sir Dan as a character? Or like MediEvil as a franchise? Because unlike SSB, in this you can't choose someone just because you like them. Choose someone who plays the way you want. I wanted to use Jak and Dan because I like them, but I hate how they play. I stick to Ratchet and Dante. Try out the others, and whoever you like best, use. Good luck in your future matches!

Thanks. :smileyhappy:

And actually, I've never played a MediEvil game (I was only 3 when it came out and I never had a PS1).  Though I do like Sir Dan's quirkiness, the main reason I picked him up was his playstyle and how he has these wide, sweeping moves that get a bunch of people.  The only problem is how situational his Supers are, I guess.

Nathan Drake is actually one of my favorite PlayStation characters, but I love his playstyle as well, and how versatile he is.  He's basically got it all, so I'll probably go back to him.  I just love Sir Dan's moves as well.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 17 (275 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
6372 posts

Dec 18, 2012
Try EVERY character and see who fits you best. I came in wanting to play Sackboy, Jak, Sly, Heihachi, Dante, Spike, Cole(both) and Sir Dan, but really only play Sackboy and Spike, but I do use the other characters for just laughs and kicks. You don't have to just stick with Sir Dan, but you can use him 80% of the time, at least that is what I do with Sackboy.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 17 (274 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
101 posts

Dec 18, 2012

Before playing online with a character it is wise to complete their arcade mode on All-star and to finish nearly all their trials on All-star difficulty. If you can't beat one or two that's ok you'd still be able to hold your own.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 17 (252 Views)
0 Likes