Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 30 2012
By: jamcakes Lombax Warrior 190 posts

Is there enough characters for retro gamers yet?

10 replies 237 views Edited Sep 30, 2012

Hi everyone, this is my first post on these forums though I have been lurking for some time, I hope this topic hasn't already been introduced!

Looking at the roster as it stands I was curious as to whether the boards think there is enough playable characters to entice the 'retro' gamers into buying this game. By 'retro' gamers I mean those who spend much of their time playing the playstation classics on PS1, possibly PS2, though they may know of the PS3 exclusives they haven't quite dabbled into this generation too deeply.  If we assume that the remaining characters, if any, are going to be unlockables/DLC to be revealed on release of the game, is the retro audience whatever size it may be covered with this roster?

Personally as a dedicated Tomb Raider fan the dismissal of Lara Croft at an early stage was incredibly disappointing, I was naive to assume she would be included in an 'allstars' lineup no questions asked, and for me the game was fighting an uphill battle from that point on. Then they revealed Sir Daniel, a character who could have so easily slipped through the gap, on top of Spike and from that moment I was hooked! Reading the forums has hyped up beyond belief the inclusion of other PS1 classics such as Crash and Spyro, so much that I was utterly convinced they would make it into the game, but looking at the bigger picture I would be content with the current lineup, but would most of the retro gamers feel the same?

I don't think the PS1 is adequately represented, missing Lara/Crash/Spyro would feel almost 'wrong' in some way for a game that is supposed to unite the all-stars of Playstation. That said I know I'm buying this game, and I'm sure Drake and Kratos will do a good job of selling it, but are they alienating the gaming audience with the current roster?

What do you think? :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6850 posts

Re: Is there enough characters for retro gamers yet?

Sep 30, 2012

jamcakes wrote:

Hi everyone, this is my first post on these forums though I have been lurking for some time, I hope this topic hasn't already been introduced!

Looking at the roster as it stands I was curious as to whether the boards think there is enough playable characters to entice the 'retro' gamers into buying this game. By 'retro' gamers I mean those who spend much of their time playing the playstation classics on PS1, possibly PS2, though they may know of the PS3 exclusives they haven't quite dabbled into this generation too deeply.  If we assume that the remaining characters, if any, are going to be unlockables/DLC to be revealed on release of the game, is the retro audience whatever size it may be covered with this roster?

Personally as a dedicated Tomb Raider fan the dismissal of Lara Croft at an early stage was incredibly disappointing, I was naive to assume she would be included in an 'allstars' lineup no questions asked, and for me the game was fighting an uphill battle from that point on. Then they revealed Sir Daniel, a character who could have so easily slipped through the gap, on top of Spike and from that moment I was hooked! Reading the forums has hyped up beyond belief the inclusion of other PS1 classics such as Crash and Spyro, so much that I was utterly convinced they would make it into the game, but looking at the bigger picture I would be content with the current lineup, but would most of the retro gamers feel the same?

I don't think the PS1 is adequately represented, missing Lara/Crash/Spyro would feel almost 'wrong' in some way for a game that is supposed to unite the all-stars of Playstation. That said I know I'm buying this game, and I'm sure Drake and Kratos will do a good job of selling it, but are they alienating the gaming audience with the current roster?

What do you think? :smileywink:

they have almost equal amounts of characters for each system (ps1-ps3) so not really, they dont have the rights to lara, crash and spyro, so that could be the problem:smileyhappy:

http://xat.com/the_brotherhood_of_gaming

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (228 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
577 posts

Sep 30, 2012

I think crash will be announced, Maybie Spyro, I doubt about Lara,

Oh, and welcome to the Forums :smileyvery-happy:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

original.png

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6850 posts

Sep 30, 2012

and lara croft was never deconfirmed, people took it that way but thats not what happened (if thats what you are talking about) however a lot of people dont want her :/ for a few reasons

1). shed be a female nathan drake

2). itd be new lara croft

3). shed be to plain of a character

personally id love her in the roster

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2383 posts

Sep 30, 2012
this game needs Dart he would have been a perfect rep RPG character, from the ps1 era, and first party so getting him would not be that difficult
Monkey D. Luffy (one piece) "I'm the man who's going to be the Pirate King!"
Guts (berserk) " I've never expected a miracle. I will get things done myself. "
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6850 posts

Sep 30, 2012

dragonfire111 wrote:
this game needs Dart he would have been a perfect rep RPG character, from the ps1 era, and first party so getting him would not be that difficult

i have a feeling hes in or the first DLC, i mean...they did renew his IP about the time the game was going into production (well around the time the game was announced officially xD not going into production)

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
357 posts

Sep 30, 2012

All I've been playing for the past 2 months nothing but PSX games, Twisted Metal 2, Medievil, Parappa the Rapper, Ape Escape, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro 2, Metal Gear Solid, and Tekken. And personally I can live with just having Sweet Tooth, Sir Dan, Parappa, Spike, Heihachi, and Toro as the PSX reps they already cover a 1/4 of the roster.

Playstation sig
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (182 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Sep 30, 2012
I know Lara Croft was never de-confirmed but given one of the developers of Tomb Raider said they didn't want her to be included, it just seemed she was dead before anyone even had the chance to root for her! To be honest though I'd want PS1 Lara or nothing, the new Lara looks great and all but I can understand how odd it would be if she made her debut there rather than her reboot.

Although PS1 characters may cover a nice portion of the roster I don't believe it is 'representative' of what that era was for most people.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (125 Views)
Sackboy
411 posts

Sep 30, 2012
Nope but yet
if they announce crash+ big boss + spyro
it will
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (123 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
831 posts

Sep 30, 2012

Proportion wise, 6 PS1 characters out of 20 isn't bad. However, the problem is that the superstars of that era are missing. We're talking about Crash, Spyro, Lara Croft, Solid Snake and Cloud. Yes, they're all third parties, we understand it's a big issue. But it's an inevitability. Sony originally built the PS brand through these franchises, it's only natural that when they finally develop an exclusive brawler, that people ask for these characters to be in.

For anyone looking to know more about why these classic characters/franchises are so important and requested by fans, check this link out:

www.racketboy.com/retro/games-that-defined-the-history-of-the-playstation-ps1

It lists pretty much every important game/series of the PS1 era that helped shape the PS brand into what it is today.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (86 Views)