Oct 14 2012
By: mario507 Lombax Warrior 153 posts

Is PAS:BR really that good?

72 replies 464 views Edited Oct 14, 2012

First off, I'm a huge Super Smash Bros. fan. I've been hearing great things about this game, and the hype seems pretty high. I have a few questions. Are the controls simple enough like Super Smash Bros. so I don't have to memorize squillions of combos just to compete? How does it differentiate itself from Super Smash Bros. ,and what aspects of the game really hook you to play the game?

Message 1 of 73 (464 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
572 posts

Re: Is PAS:BR really that good?

Oct 14, 2012
its as simple as smash bros. but it definitely feels different from it.

ouyofo.jpg

Message 2 of 73 (455 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6850 posts

Oct 14, 2012

mario507 wrote:

First off, I'm a huge Super Smash Bros. fan. I've been hearing great things about this game, and the hype seems pretty high. I have a few questions. Are the controls simple enough like Super Smash Bros. so I don't have to memorize squillions of combos just to compete? How does it differentiate itself from Super Smash Bros. ,and what aspects of the game really hook you to play the game?

its different, there are combos but you can deff win without and anybody can jump right inSmiley Happy check it out, its REALLY that goodSmiley Happy

http://xat.com/the_brotherhood_of_gaming

Message 3 of 73 (443 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2794 posts

Oct 14, 2012

mario507 wrote:

In a response to your title... BETTER

The controls are pretty simple, it's direction attacks like in Smash Bros., if you're confused by watching character debuts on youtube, don't be, the videos like Dante's, Raiden's and Sack Boy's Etc. are done by professionals.

You must be new around here, if sort of does seem like SSBB at first. But it's completely different once you actually try to research this game. I think it's better if you research yourself than if I tell you. You'll get more out of it. Poke around.

Message 4 of 73 (441 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5661 posts

Oct 14, 2012
It's really fast paced and the 'supers system' is a very tactical twist, more so then it sounds on paper. In terms of SSB comparisons, I think this game takes a lot of inspiration from that series but puts a nice spin on it that really makes the game it's own. The fact that every character has a different and unique play style really just makes it that much sweeter, and you really won't understand how much fun it really is until you try it.

This is coming from a guy who plays SSBB with his friends almost exclusively.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 5 of 73 (439 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1660 posts

Oct 14, 2012

For what I saw the gameplay it's a good half way between the friendly "easyness" of Smash Bros. and the normal combination of combos from any generic 2D/3D fighter. 

Anyway, Smash Bros. in its semplicity can be incredibly deep and the fact that it does not have actual combos doesn't mean anything.

The gameplay for now, anyway, is the only thing in which Battle Royale has shown to be potentially better. About the rest, for what we saw (roster, stages, story mode...) it's far from the quality and quantity of Brawl. Obviously we haven't seen the whole product so who knows, but I hardly believe it will offer more on those categories.

Oh yeah and obviously this game has an online mode which works. I don't actually care about that because I only play Smash Bros. on local, but it's objective that on that aspect Brawl was ridicolous.

Message 6 of 73 (415 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Oct 14, 2012

I'm a huge Super Smash fan too, been playing since the first one and they have always been my favorite games.  Except Melee because it's too glitchy but when I played PSASBR for the first time.  I found my new favorite game. Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 73 (406 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1660 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 14, 2012

Nocturnal__Gamer wrote:

I'm a huge Super Smash fan too, been playing since the first one and they have always been my favorite games.  Except Melee because it's too glitchy but when I played PSASBR for the first time.  I found my new favorite game. Smiley Very Happy

Glitchy? Its glitches are really hard to use and you need to WANT to use them to activated them... I don't really think that you couldn't like Melee because of the glitches. I play it since 2001 and I've seen like 3 or 4 of them, and I had to do them on purpose...

Off topic: guys how can I put pictures in the signature? With [IMG] [/IMG] tags?

Message 8 of 73 (393 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
437 posts

Oct 14, 2012

Well OP, first off. Thank you for not pulling the same route as every other die hard SSB fan out there and bashing this game.  That being said, the game plays very well with very simplistic controls.  (It can be more fun since there are more attacks than Smash) In regards to the combos, I haven't been able to pull off many yet... However, you can basically do a combo of whatever you can put together.  Anyone will be able to pick the game up and play with any character, but just like in smash. Not anyone can be really good with a character right away.

Message 9 of 73 (369 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
846 posts

Oct 14, 2012

RexLozuresky wrote:

The gameplay for now, anyway, is the only thing in which Battle Royale has shown to be potentially better. About the rest, for what we saw (roster, stages, story mode...) it's far from the quality and quantity of Brawl. Obviously we haven't seen the whole product so who knows, but I hardly believe it will offer more on those categories.

The stages are worst that Brawls? You realise there is a reason everyone exclusively plays the same bloody stage in Brawl, and hates most of the others. Not to mention the stages all have the cool mash-up mechanic. As for storymode, we've only seen one cutscene, and the only reason Brawl's story was any good was because of the cutscenes. Everything else in Subspace Emissary was some horrible Kirby platformer.

Message 10 of 73 (369 Views)
0 Likes