First Son
9 posts

Re: Is Jak really that underpowered? (Your opinion please)

Nov 27, 2012

Not really. It depends if it's 1 vs 1 or free for all or teams. If teams, just use his level two in a group of people or your only opponent off guard Level one is to get a person off guard. And the level three is best in free for all. Just use his shield, move around the map, and blast where the enemies are. Dont bother using the freeze.

Personally, I think Sly is overpowered.

Message 11 of 88 (251 Views)
Survivor
2179 posts

Nov 27, 2012

DAT Mass Inverter into level 1 is just impossibly good. Its probably the one thing that makes Jak look useful. Even though that vid showing off that combo that got him a level 1, makes him look good as well. But overall, yes I think he is pretty underpowered. Very few people can actually do well with him. He is one of like 5 characters that I find difficult to use. 

Message 12 of 88 (251 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Nov 27, 2012
He is. It takes skill and plenty of practice. My cousin was barely playing the game, and he beat me a few times while Sly Cooper and Ratchet and Clank.
Message 13 of 88 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4120 posts

Nov 27, 2012

jaks mass inverter gives 5 ap

his peace maker gives 5 ap

his forward circle gives 10 ap

his down triangle gives 20 ap even when fully charged

yes hes underpowered

Message 14 of 88 (241 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
253 posts

Nov 27, 2012

No. He feels slower than Daniel and BD so hes just weird to use at the start.

But hes awesome in the right hands =)

I thought he was bad when i played him on story mode but later I realized his potential.

Message 15 of 88 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2260 posts

Nov 27, 2012

Wow, seems like opinions on Jak vary!!

ape escape. Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 16 of 88 (227 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
343 posts

Nov 27, 2012

People camp with Jax so so so much!

Message 17 of 88 (227 Views)
Survivor
2179 posts

Nov 27, 2012

khknight wrote:

jaks mass inverter gives 5 ap

his peace maker gives 5 ap

his forward circle gives 10 ap

his down triangle gives 20 ap even when fully charged

yes hes underpowered

This is a great point. Jak has a good moveset. Even though chaining combos with him is somewhat hard, he still has his uses. But Jak does have one of the lowest AP gains in the game. 

Message 18 of 88 (223 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Nov 27, 2012
YOu're right. Combos is the only way to score for him. But his movesets are pretty decent
Message 19 of 88 (216 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7050 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

JLP_M wrote:
So I'm picking up the game tomorrow morning finally, I've seen folks on here say Jak is underpowered and a few saying you need to know how to use him.

I recently saw some gameplay with him and he doesn't look that bad with AP to be honest.

Topic though, what are your thoughts on Jak?

Yes he is underpowered. This is coming from a guy who Maxed him out to 999 5days ago. Yes he can win in certain matches but hes limited to a couple of attacks. His limits for example are fast characters, time matches, spamming sacboy/players etc. He's not good at dealing with spammers. He doesnt have a good overall moveset for good enough AP gain. His level 1 is hard to use more then half of the time because its easy to cancel, starts up slow and you have to be real close to your opponent to hit. Most of his guns are pointless in this game(unlike from his series). He only has like 3 good weapons that actually are useful. Peace Maker for stunning opponents, not AP gain, Wave Concussor and Blaster. He has some good melee moves but it lacks proper combos which make it hard to nail sometimes. Most of the time you will only get in 2 melee hits per combo which is sad. However I can sometimes get in 3. 

Jak is not at his best in this game. He doesnt really have any of those combos or true aspects from his series. Its take a lot of time to get use to Jak and even when you do you'll be stressed out in timed games and long range spammers. He was downgraded even more from the reveal trailer so yeah. He can no longer use Jetboard twice in the air, no longer do Mass Inverter into Level 1 and the Needle Lazer was also nerfed. His Level 2 is so so... not so good against skilled andd fast dodgeble players. The best way to perform his level 2 is wait for someoneelse to trap them into a combo or tight corner. 

His level 3 is one of the best in the game however it is way to short. Kratos and Sweet tooth level 3s are even longer. Missing a kill as Light Jak on a big map can really turn the tide in battle becausse of his lack of long time duration. 

I didn't even list all the details, just some. But like I said though yes you can win matches with him but that doesnt mean that hes a fine character -_-. I play as him every single day. I have even done combos other people have not done from what Ive seen in Jak players and if I struggle with that then yes that means he's underpowered.

photo 1-Xzveb9U_zpsedcf7d52.png
Only time will tell.
Message 20 of 88 (214 Views)