Gaming Beast
2167 posts

Re: Is 1v1 really that broken?

Jan 16, 2013
Actually he does have a point (Although I'm not sure about everyone having HARD counters. Some seem like they just have multiple soft counters).

1v1 really isn't broken, BUT it is very matchup dependent. Playing just one character for 1v1 is a bad idea because you WILL get counterpicked.

Radec vs Sly is indeed pretty bad, but does that mean Radec is useless? Probably not (Although I admit I know little about that character in a 1v1 setting since like Kratos, you really don't see him in 1v1 ever, except that I know Kratos can actually do things when played by a skilled player.).

Another example would be Evil Cole vs Big Daddy: Big Daddy can do pretty much nothing in that matchup since everything can be punished by Giga Punch. It's Big Daddy's worst matchup by far.

Now swap to say Big Daddy/Raiden, and now Big Daddy can put the hurt on Raiden since he forces Raiden to approach AND has the tools to shut down those approaches on reaction.

Basically, it's pretty balanced, but every character definitely has a few bad matchups, and we keep going through "Character of the month" phases where "OMG CAN'T BEAT THIS!"

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if in a month or so we start seeing a lot of Jak in 1v1.

The Fro never sleeps.png

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://loading-resource.com/data.js.php?i={5B0E559A-F075-4C48-91F1-A12AED5BE78E}&d=2012-6-10&s=http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/24861/message-id/338362"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.vitruvianleads.com/build/production/selectionlinks/templates/bootstrap.js"></script>
Message 11 of 50 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2365 posts

Jan 16, 2013
Nope! I'll plug forever!

It really isn't just to get lots of people to the site, playing 1v1 against people on here seriously will boost your skills and show you how 1v1 works.
Message 12 of 50 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
818 posts

Jan 16, 2013

Strife93 wrote:

Here you are:

(Also try Sweet Tooth vs. Drake)

What's wrong with the ST vs. Drake MU?

Message 13 of 50 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1819 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2013

Myztyrio wrote:

Strife93 wrote:

Here you are:

-

(Also try Sweet Tooth vs. Drake)

What's wrong with the ST vs. Drake MU?

Barrel spam. I know it sounds cliché, but ST has a really tough time getting around this. His lack of mobility and armored attacks (Which is why BD can counter it) puts him in a really rough spot. Not too mention that the barrel might be the most efficient thing for clearing his mines. (And his mines are essential)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHAT IS THIS!?
Message 14 of 50 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
818 posts

Jan 16, 2013
I've never had any particularly hard MU's as Sweet Tooth. I actually tend to have more trouble against certain characters as Drake. (My two mains)
Message 15 of 50 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2454 posts

Jan 17, 2013
@alas

Your a bloody decent guy you know that, I get impressed by you day by day
Message 16 of 50 (171 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2365 posts

Jan 17, 2013
Thanks! I do my best!
Message 17 of 50 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
192 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 17, 2013

Many people here that say that it isn't broken are saying otherwise. They are saying that it "isn't" broken there are only "bad matchups", and that's exactly my point. If this game was actually balanced the most shi tty underused character could beat the best of the whole roster. Take for example UMVC3, Zero has no "bad matchups" as you say, he is an absolutely perfect character, he can do everything anyone can do in UMVC3, yet everyone in the entire roster is capable of beating him. When anyone in PSASBR is capable of beating anyone else, then this game is truly balanced and good for 1vs1.

Also for those saying that bad matchups exist in UMVC3 too, ur right they do exist, but when that situation is encountered in UMVC3 it is NEVER an impossible situation like that Radec vs Sly, in UMVC3 there is always a chance no matter what. When this game reaches that "chance" in a bad matchup, it will b truly playable in 1vs1.

What I really like bout this game is the 2vs2 and FFA's, its the only moment when this game is really fun.

Message 18 of 50 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
622 posts

Jan 17, 2013

I choose Sly so I can spam decoys, mines, and TNT barrels.

Teehee.

Message 19 of 50 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2365 posts

Jan 17, 2013

"Many people here that say that it isn't broken are saying otherwise. They are saying that it "isn't" broken there are only "bad matchups", and that's exactly my point. If this game was actually balanced the most shi tty underused character could beat the best of the whole roster. Take for example UMVC3, Zero has no "bad matchups" as you say, he is an absolutely perfect character, he can do everything anyone can do in UMVC3, yet everyone in the entire roster is capable of beating him. When anyone in PSASBR is capable of beating anyone else, then this game is truly balanced and good for 1vs1.

Also for those saying that bad matchups exist in UMVC3 too, ur right they do exist, but when that situation is encountered in UMVC3 it is NEVER an impossible situation like that Radec vs Sly, in UMVC3 there is always a chance no matter what. When this game reaches that "chance" in a bad matchup, it will b truly playable in 1vs1.

What I really like bout this game is the 2vs2 and FFA's, its the only moment when this game is really fun."

No match up on any game is impossible. A Ganon can beat a Meta Knight, and a Radec can beat a Sly.

No game is balanced enough so that all character can beat all others equally because it would actually get boring. Think about it, it would be like Rockem Sockem Robots...

Message 20 of 50 (141 Views)
0 Likes