Dec 12 2016
By: IceColdKilla44 Gaming Beast 1783 posts

Interesting article about where PSASBR went wrong

[ Edited ]
5 replies 1008 views Edited Dec 12, 2016

Hey guys, long time no see!

Just wanted to pop in and share an article I think you'll find interesting: PlayStation All-Stars: How NOT To Make a Fighting Game.

Out of all the PSASBR criticisms I've read on the Internet, I think this one best describes why gamers, even the passionate fans, ultimately forgot about PSASBR.

What do you guys think?

Message 1 of 6 (1,008 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
364 posts

Re: Interesting article about where PSASBR went wrong

[ Edited ]
last month

This seems to talk more about balance issues. I got nothing to say about that. But I also don't think the stages are that much of an issue. Just like in Smash Bros. and many other games like it, you'll always find some stages that are better than others. Fortunately, there's some training stages that don't have those problems.

photo ps_x_nintendo__super_smash_bros_all_stars_banner_by_leehatake93-d7xemvu_zps79773a33.png

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/856602_344020822380348_166790138_o.jpg
Message 2 of 6 (996 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1234 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 12, 2017

I’d like to emphasize that I think this game’s problems lie almost 100% in the gameplay itself.

Not really. There are gameplay issues, but from the lackluster menues to the utter lack of multiplayer game modes, SP modes & more interesting things to collect, the game had massive problems besides just the gameplay that doomed it from the get-go.

It's good that the article recognises that that roster isn't all that bad, some choices aren't that great but yeah, most of the big name PS characters are there. But to say it's all about the gameplay is just not true.

That said, the article is spot-on with its critique of the gameplay. It's so close to my opinions on it, it feels like I unconsciously wrote it myself.

Message 3 of 6 (616 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1783 posts

[ Edited ]
last month

Gekidami wrote:

I’d like to emphasize that I think this game’s problems lie almost 100% in the gameplay itself.

Not really. There are gameplay issues, but from the lackluster menues to the utter lack of multiplayer game modes, SP modes & more interesting things to collect, the game had massive problems besides just the gameplay that doomed it from the get-go.

It's good that the article recognises that that roster isn't all that bad, some choices aren't that great but yeah, most of the big name PS characters are there. But to say it's all about the gameplay is just not true.

That said, the article is spot-on with its critique of the gameplay. It's so close to my opinions on it, it feels like I unconsciously wrote it myself.

It was mostly gameplay, though, as the article said. Sure, PSASBR wasn't great in those areas you mentioned, but I don't think it's fair to say those problems were as significant. Especially after Smash 4, which had the weakest SP content & Presentation in the franchise by a mile, only for fans to not really care that much. They kept coming back for the great gameplay.

Agreed on the article's PSASBR gameplay critique though. It's baffling how all of those balance issues and that kill confirm nonsense made it past QA.

Message 4 of 6 (400 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1234 posts

last month

IceColdKilla44 wrote:

Gekidami wrote:

It was mostly gameplay, though, as the article said. Sure, PSASBR wasn't great in those areas you mentioned, but I don't think it's fair to say those problems were as significant. Especially after Smash 4, which had the weakest SP content & Presentation in the franchise by a mile, only for fans to not really care that much. They kept coming back for the great gameplay.

Agreed on the article's PSASBR gameplay critique though. It's baffling how all of those balance issues and that kill confirm nonsense made it past QA.

Weren't as significant? Go to any forum where people are talking about what they didn't like about PSBR and very few will put combat above the rest. Combat  should be what people focus on the most in a fighting game, but that isn't the reality. As fort Smash 4, it was already well ingrained in the hearts of it's fans and even with it's weaker SP content, it still has way more than PSBR. PSBR's content and presentation was just so weak, it's hard not to hate that the most because it's just so apparent.

Message 5 of 6 (301 Views)
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
364 posts

[ Edited ]
last month

There were some issues behind the scene too.

But I think the biggest problem was that it didn't truly come out how the developers intended it to be.

It's like, their intention was to make their own Smash Bros. but not the same game as Smash Bros...but they still made it be similar to Smash Bros...but changed a few things to make it different from Smash Bros.

Yeah, that sounds confusing, I know. But that's how it came out.  When people first saw it, they immediately thought it was a Smash clone/ripoff, but then they found out that it wasn't when they played it and now it's somewhat split over whether or not it is. In the end, it's pretty clear that Sony and Superbot didn't intend for this to be a clone/ripoff of Smash but it bears too strong of a resemblance to it for people to notice this upfront. It's not a good way to get your point across.

This isn't really a big problem, though. Whenever somebody make something that's inspired by something else, there's a good chance that they may end up copying it more than they needed to. Once they start over, they'll realize that they should first start with something more suitable for their concept (in this case, making it 3D oriented like the Power Stone games) and use what they already got to make it (like God of War mechanics). Only then they can be able to make a game that's similar to Smash Bros. without it being labled a clone/ripoff.

photo ps_x_nintendo__super_smash_bros_all_stars_banner_by_leehatake93-d7xemvu_zps79773a33.png

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/856602_344020822380348_166790138_o.jpg
Message 6 of 6 (240 Views)
0 Likes