Jan 23 2013
By: pmarc82 Lombax Warrior 133 posts

In Defense to the Character Spammers Accusations

[ Edited ]
16 replies 319 views Edited Jan 23, 2013

Ok guys, I have read quite a few posts on here and one thing that always stood out to me is calling people/chars spammers. Im going to come out and say it, I main Drake (oh boy he's a spammer). I often read about how Drake, Kratos, Raiden, Radek, oh yeah, evil Cole are spammers, but I wanted to take the time to address it. I honestly think that people are getting carried away when using the "spam" word. 

Let's look at Evil cole for example. You often hear that he spams grenades and gigapunch. Clearly that's the best and most effective strategy to rack up kills, but let me ask you what would you rather have him do? Would you rather he be constantly in your face and overwhelm you with combos or set ups? guess what guys, he wasn't design to be played that way. His tools do not grant him that luxury. Any cole players who rushes down with him is asking for trouble. I would rather hear complaints about making an effective read and blocking the gigapunch, but the stun from it makes it impossible to punish(which I highly doubt is the case). I am not sure tho since I never played E. Cole, what I can tell from experience is that the gigapunch has some level of armor on it. Evil Cole can run through my barrel and through my AK to punch me. What does that tell you….RESPECT his spacing and the gigapunch. Don't mindlessly rush him down and guess what, the gigapunch is not unblockable. What I try to do now is either do the barrel and bait the punch, or zone him with my magnum (Drake's forward triangle) since most coles like to stand blocking and bait your attack. Also I try to at least get hit by it somewhat airborne by doing short jumps that way he doesn't get the crumple effect. E. Cole in my opinion is a zoner and a character to respect up close especially when that gigapunch is charged. 

Kratos/Raiden

Im going to come out and say this.. KRATOS is OP. Here is the reason why. He has a parry with a crumple effect for projectiles and a luncher for normal attacks (I think), doesn't seem to have any type of cool down on his square (3x) string, a shield attack that makes him invincible, decent range, a ridiculous level 3, and decent AP gain. He just has way too many good tools and most of them are effective. Let's face it he just too  hard to punish at times and can be overwhelming for certain characters if not most. My biggest problem with him honestly is the fact that you can't constantly punish his square combos because by the time you roll away from the last attack animation, you get caught up in the following square repetition as you are recovering from your roll. That to me is overpowered. Even if you roll behind him, he can change direction from his square attacks, hence hitting you as you recover. It's like you can't make any good read on this guy up close. Does that make him a spammer, not at all. He was design to be played that way… and because he is so successful with a few attacks, you barely find someone who uses him to his full potential. I think he is being played at 45-50% and 75% at best. You guys would really cry if someone was using him at 100%. I'm saying that because of all the good tools he has available that people barely uses. It's a good thing that the forward square (grapple) has been toned down a bit and it seems like the range on the square attacks has been reduced (not sure). 

Raiden is another overwhelming character that is design to be constantly in your face, When you see raiden the first thing that should come to mind is LETHAL or DEADLY. you just can't allow him to get in. The main reason I think he is so good is (1) his plethora ways of killing you, and (2) he would certainly be among the top 3 if not the number 1 character with the best supers in this game. Raiden is being played the way he is supposed to…in your face. That does not make him a spammer. The best you can do is find a good way to keep him out and punish some of his unsafe moves like the forward square.

Now let's take a look at my main…DRAKE. oh the barrel complaints. if only I had a nickel every time someone complains about that blood barrel followed by the AK run. Did you know that once that barrel is out and drake stars doing the AK run he is committed? which means that if you can bait/predict the barrel and jump high enough, you can easily punish him during the AK animation. Im sure fat princess players love this MU. That downward sword must work wonders on that setup. Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is the barrel and gun is drake's effective strategy at making the opponent committed to blocking. Oh yeah did you also know that if you block the barrel, block the AK run, annnnd block the square hit after the Ak run…drake is opened for a full punish. Drake is a character that excels at midrange, with that in mind you should do everything you can to not let him get comfortable. Like guile in street fighter lets a sonic boom out and follows it, so does drake by doing his barrel + any follow ups. His is certainly not designed to be played like kratos or raiden. You can always run away as well from the barrel if it's not setup properly.

3 characters that I find extremely hard to play against as drake are Fat princess and jak because they are constantly in the air (drake doesn't do well with airborne characters), and none other than sly because of his ridiculous parry that tracks you down anywhere on the screen. Should I call jan and fat princess jump spammers for that matter, heck NO. People found an effective strategy whether cheap or not to build meter or rack up kills. It is my job now to find a counter for it with the tools that I have at my disposal. To me it's that simple. It could take 100 games or more to figure out a counter strategy and you know what that's ok. that's the approach I would suggest people should take instead of bring out the "Spammer" accusation as your counter measure. Even though thread here only last 30 minutes before they get lost, why not write a thread seeking for help for a strategy that you are having trouble with. Im sure you will find someone in this forum who has an idea that you can at least explore and take further. 

All in all, I don't think it's fair to call the characters and their viable options spammers. It's a bit ignorant and quiet frankly shows that you don't really have a game plan and lack knowledge to play those said characters right (which is good but it all depends on how you deal with it). The characters are being played the way they were supposed to. Drake will never be Raiden/Kratos, or Jak/Fat Princess, or Sly/Radek. Every character have ways to deal with any given strategies. Sometimes the best strategy is to step back and break the spacing, thus breaking the very effective strategy that the opponent is comfortable in. I would suggests that you guys analyze the opponents and strategies first before rolling and playing dead and start calling them spammers

my 2cents

Message 1 of 17 (319 Views)
Survivor
2365 posts

Re: In Defense to the Character Spammers Accusations

Jan 23, 2013
Message 2 of 17 (304 Views)
Lombax Warrior
133 posts

Jan 23, 2013

Aylas_Hero wrote:
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Spamming-Or-Effective-Strategy-A...

Someone beat you to it. Smiley Wink

Haha! Nice. Glad to see that I wasnt the only one concerned about it too. thanks for the link mate. I will certainly go through it and the comments to see what other ppl think. Kudos :-)

Message 3 of 17 (300 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jan 23, 2013
because of this buff, drake is nowhere near a spammer.
Message 4 of 17 (280 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jan 23, 2013
Excuse me , nerf*
Message 5 of 17 (278 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
810 posts

Jan 23, 2013

canadaguylool wrote:

Not true. Some people still spam his gun loop. Might not be endless- but it's still an easy way to hit level 3. 

Message 6 of 17 (236 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1025 posts

Jan 23, 2013
I agree with the majority of the OP, but its walking backwards down a one way street. Spamming is spamming. In a 2v1 if both going opponents are gonna throw never ending grenade assaults on you while the other one melees you across the screen constantly, they are spamming noobs. If they do the same ap burst combo the entire the game they are a spamming noob. Nothing you can do about it but deal with it and suck up a loss. Other times it's easily punishable and you curb stomp and they rage quit.
Message 7 of 17 (228 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Jan 23, 2013
A wins a win.
Message 8 of 17 (195 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1660 posts

Jan 23, 2013

CatatonicAlex wrote:

canadaguylool wrote:

Not true. Some people still spam his gun loop. Might not be endless- but it's still an easy way to hit level 3. 

Um, he no longer has a gun loop?

And Aylas, do you have that bookmarked? Because gotdam.

------------------------------------------------
Fresh to death
Message 9 of 17 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2457 posts

Jan 23, 2013
People don't understand that not everybody has to use intricate combos to win.
Message 10 of 17 (174 Views)
0 Likes