Aug 15 2012
By: Alpha-Male22 Uncharted Territory 1469 posts

Improving Visual Cues ("omg, where am I?")

[ Edited ]
13 replies 556 views Edited Aug 18, 2012

*For the Record, Some of these Ideas are from my friends on NeoGaf, such as the "Knockback Trail" *

So, most of the complaints I notice from some players is that they lose track of where their character is in the game, so these are just some suggestions to make it easier to keep track of where you are while reducing some of the causes of confusion. Of course, there would be options to tweak or turn some of these off for players who may not want them.

This game has 4 colors (1 for every player) that is meant to distinguish players from each other, but there really is no significant effect from this..It's time to change this to help ease visual tracking.

The Four Colors Are: Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow. These really have no purpose at the moment, other than to color code the player number (P1, P2, P3, P4), but highlighting these colors in the game could help a lot.

1) Color-Coded Super Meters

-This game has a sick obsession with blue. Just look at these forums. Everything is some shade of blue. This ought to be dropped.

-Every meter should build either Red, Blue, Green, or Yellow meters, depending on what player slot you are in. This really helps with the personalization factor and makes the game look less bland. 

-Superbot did a good job making Super 3's "Flare up" in the latest build, but everybody having a blue flare doesn't stick out. Color-coded super meters would make red, yellow, green, and blue flames, and would be more noticeable

-I think maybe the "aura" when you have a super should remain the same color (the whitish blue) so as not to make everything too colorful

2) Color-Coded Death Blasts

-When you die, you explode in a blue light, but it'd probably be better for gameplay if this too was color coded

-For example, when 2 enemies die, I can know if I was one of those deaths-- if everything is blue, you just don't know. It helps with the gameplay if I can quickly track in my head the associated color with a player without having to look down

3) Remove the "1P" "2P" "3P" "4P" indicators on anyone's head that isn't the local player

-This just makes it easier to track where I am. I can track enemies without the need for the Player indicators, and it'd be easier to track myself if I was the only player lit up with this icon.

4) Color Coded "Knockback Trails" (Rainbow)

-When you get knocked back, you should have a small color coded trail emit from your character so that you know which way you get knocked back (and so that you can easily spot him easier in those chaotic situations)

-Sometimes when you play, you lose track of where you are and don't even notice or know which model gets blasted where

-Color coding a small trail could help make it easier to know where you get blasted back

-This too could be for your local screen only, so you wouldn't see trails everytime for all the characters when Radec manages to snipe all three characters. Instead, you'd just see a trail for YOUR character so that you can keep track of where you are, should you get lost.

5) Color-Coded Skins for the APPROPRIATE Player Position

-I can't tell the difference between Radec 1 and Radec 2, yet Radec 3 is radically different: Radec 3 is all red. This makes no sense. If there are multiples of the same enemy, priority coloring should be given relevant to the player position. 

-Suppose there are three Radecs (oh, the horror!). Player 1, who is always RED Coded, should be the Red Radec. Player 2 should be whatever color Player 2 normally is (Blue)), and Player 3 should be whatever color Player 3 usually is (Green, I think?)

-The normal Black Radec should only be used when there is one Radec around

-I'm assuming you can pick your own skin in the final version of online play, but by default, I think if you are going to have color coded player slots, you should universalize it to make it easier to quickly distinguish in the heat of battle. Nothing worse than 2 Radec's who are forceably given the first 2 skins, which happen to be too much alike (black)

I think all, or any combination of these implemented would assist players in keeping track of players in this game, which can get chaotic for some players. I can generally keep track of myself, but sometimes, in the heat of battle, it's easy to lose sight of where you are, and it'd be great to have some or all of these to make character tracking easier.

Message 1 of 14 (556 Views)
Survivor
2383 posts

Re: Visual Polish, Player Tracking, and Color Coding

Aug 15, 2012

i really like your idea

also some of the alt colors for characters are hard to tell apart (kratos radec)

Monkey D. Luffy (one piece) "I'm the man who's going to be the Pirate King!"
Guts (berserk) " I've never expected a miracle. I will get things done myself. "
Message 2 of 14 (541 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Aug 15, 2012
I can agree with this somewhat. However, the color-coded Super Auras would be a bit odd, considering you have a Red Aura when you can't use your Super. They could change that, but I'm sure they probably have something else planned for fixing these issues. (I fully agree with removing the non-local Player numbers, btw.)
ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 3 of 14 (525 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1469 posts

Aug 15, 2012

dragonfire111 wrote:

i really like your idea

also some of the alt colors for characters are hard to tell apart (kratos radec)

Yeah, they are. I think costumes + the full roster will make this less an issue in the final game. The costumes definitely differentiate the same character a lot, but the alt skins need to be color-coded too. It's much better than forcing Radec 1 and 2 to both have a black skin, while the third player usually gets something much different for some reason. 

Message 4 of 14 (522 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1469 posts

Aug 15, 2012

DivinePaladin27 wrote:
I can agree with this somewhat. However, the color-coded Super Auras would be a bit odd, considering you have a Red Aura when you can't use your Super. They could change that, but I'm sure they probably have something else planned for fixing these issues. (I fully agree with removing the non-local Player numbers, btw.)

As I said, Color-Coded "Auras" should probably remain the whitish-blue it is now. But when you die, you light up in a "blue" spotlight, which would probably benefit from being color coded-- at the very least with your own color on your own TV screen so that you know when/if you were KO'd. All your enemies could remain blue if you really wanted, but this is about making you stick out of the chaos, which right now can be hard since there is little to distinguish you from the rest of your enemies.

Message 5 of 14 (512 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6850 posts

Aug 15, 2012

love it ;o

http://xat.com/the_brotherhood_of_gaming

Message 6 of 14 (494 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2383 posts

Aug 15, 2012

Alpha-Male22 wrote:

DivinePaladin27 wrote:

As I said, Color-Coded "Auras" should probably remain the whitish-blue it is now. But when you die, you light up in a "blue" spotlight, which would probably benefit from being color coded-- at the very least with your own color on your own TV screen so that you know when/if you were KO'd. All your enemies could remain blue if you really wanted, but this is about making you stick out of the chaos, which right now can be hard since there is little to distinguish you from the rest of your enemies.

that would help alot in online multiplayer

Guts (berserk) " I've never expected a miracle. I will get things done myself. "
Message 7 of 14 (490 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6850 posts

Aug 15, 2012
i
DivinePaladin27 wrote:

i was thinking why not have each level colored so that people can tell what levle they are sitting at without having to really glance down like "level 1 super is blue bar" level 2 is red, level 3 is yellow (not those colors but you get what i mean)

http://xat.com/the_brotherhood_of_gaming

Message 8 of 14 (489 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
279 posts

Aug 15, 2012

so much blue

Message 9 of 14 (484 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2383 posts

Aug 15, 2012

zeothedeathgod wrote:
i
DivinePaladin27 wrote:

i was thinking why not have each level colored so that people can tell what levle they are sitting at without having to really glance down like "level 1 super is blue bar" level 2 is red, level 3 is yellow (not those colors but you get what i mean)

or maybe just different shades of each players color

Message 10 of 14 (482 Views)
0 Likes