Dec 26 2012
By: CalDW19940 I Only Post Everything 1169 posts

Iconic characters who happen to be female.

[ Edited ]
33 replies 331 views Edited Dec 26, 2012

I've seen a lot of people on here desire reps for PSASBR for different game series but a lot are for the wrong reasons. Gender is the one that crops up a lot as if gender should define a character or how iconic they were. I don't think saying a side character to a more iconic character in a series should be a rep for how great that game was purely because they are female. Instead people should just be looking for iconic characters who just happen to be female and their gender shouldn't be something that defines them. In some cases it does for better or for worse but so long as they can stand on their own legs as a character and as part of a legacy then it's fair enough they be in it. I'll throw some examples here.

Lara Croft. Tomb Raider series has been a staple for the sony systems over the years, Lara may have changed a bit over the years but she's still widely well known and has been an interesting likeable character over the years as part of a very fun game series. The reason I bring her up is because she is iconic, the thing about people wanting her for gender alone is actually a bad idea because Lara is actually one of the worst designs for a female representation of a character ever, most of her advertisement at the time was based around sex appeal and she's often been used as a model for "How not to design a female charcter" over the years. This does however make her more iconic, iconic in a bad way but still iconic so it's fair enough she should represent the Tomb Raider games with a huge variety of weapons and martial arts abilities at her disposal for an interesting moveset.

Amaterasu. Okami was one of those games that came out towards the end of the PS2's lifespan, too close to the PS3's release so a lot of people simply didn't buy it because it looked different and because people thought they wouldn't play their PS3's as much anymore so sadly the game didn't sell as well and the studios behind it were shut down. However years later everyone now realisese how fantasticly designed this game was with a host of interesting characters, great setting, a good mix of drama and humor, fun combat system and the use of the unique celestial brush made the game something interesting in it's overal world design and how you fought certain enemies. Okami has got a lot more attention now thanks to the wonderful HD re-release on the PSN store. Amaterasu never even speaks throughout the entire game (she is a wold after all) yet she is such an interesting character with her own little personality who isn't afraid to put up a fight, capable of fighting using mythical weapons like reflectors that can deflect any attack, whip like rosary beads and large broadswords aswell as being able to bend the elements to her will by painting onto the overworld like a canvas symbols, cut objects in half, summon lightning, create huge gales of wind and much more. Does her being female really make her any more interesting or better a character? Not really, in fact most players don't even know her gender till later in the game but it doesn't really change anything about her...she's a wolf after all :L

Lightning, this has popped up before when people are arguing an FF rep, Lightning herself is iconic, whether or not some fans hate or like her games no one can deny how popular she's become, whether she's as iconic as some previous FF characters is debateable but if she would be put in the game I see no reason not to because of how iconic she is. People saying she needs in more than another character based on the fact she's female is just a poor way of arguing how iconic she is as a character. If superbot or square said they would be putting her in at a later date but stated "Because she's female" if I were a fan of her character I'd actually be annoyed at the fact THAT was the deciding factor as to if she got in and nothing else.

Etna from Disgaea. Disgaea has always had it's quirky over the top characters and humor each with their own personalities and recogniseable design but Etna has more or less stood out amongst them all as the most iconic. Quick tempered evil demon girl who isn't afraid to kill her opponents just for fun and well known for her tyranical behaviour and treatment of her underlings the Prinny's, these little guys in themselves have become iconic appearing in every Disgaea game to date, they may just be little work slaves but their odd appearance and dialect has made them very well known in the series. Etna herself has appeared in multiple Disgaea games despite the storyline of the first game with her being long over and no longer the main focus, she sometimes appears as part of the main plot or just as an unlockable secret boss. NIS has pretty much accepted themselves that Etna is more or less their maskot for the series aside from the Prinnies, both of which have appeared in 2 crossover games to date with other company maskot and game reps and had their own spinoff PSP games.

Okay this went on waaay longer than I thought but meh, if anyone else can actually say some iconic characters who happen to be female then I'd love to hear them and their reasons for why they are so iconic and why them being female doesn't actually define them. Thanks to anyone who actually took the time to read all of this haha Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 34 (331 Views)
Fender Bender
2423 posts

Re: Iconic characters who happen to be female.

Dec 26, 2012

Lol I'm just kidding. Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 34 (320 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

Dec 26, 2012
Yeah I know it was long winded lol, if anyone takes the time to read it I'd appreciate it tho and love to hear what everyone else thinks,
Message 3 of 34 (315 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Interesting read! re. Lara Croft, I agree that in the mai...

Dec 26, 2012

Interesting read!

re. Lara Croft, I agree that in the mainstream she is regarded as a bad example for female representation in the game, but many of her fans would state that as a strong, charismatic and fearless woman she is actually completely ideal as a female gaming protagonist. In no way should ANY character be considered for a game like All-Stars on the basis of gender, the lack of female characters is a real shame but I'd prefer that then any forced feminine inclusion. That said, if she wasn't third party and they were allowed to include her, she should (and I believe would) have been. Her presence, fanbase and legacy as a character precedes that of the majority of the roster and for that she is a true All-Star.

Message 4 of 34 (312 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

Re: Interesting read! re. Lara Croft, I agree that in the mai...

Dec 26, 2012
@jamcakes Oh I agree, I was merely pointing out that it would be a bit hypocritical to try and say should be in based on gender alone given her being somewhat infamous as a bad example in some incarnations and her marketting, a bit like if people say Duke Nukem is a good example of a male character :L
Lara is actually an interesting character it's just a LOT of marketting seemed to focus more on the fact she was female in appearance more than anything else

She does deserve to be considered an all star though, her games are a huge part of the Playstations history.
Message 5 of 34 (295 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Re: Interesting read! re. Lara Croft, I agree that in the mai...

Dec 26, 2012
Oh, yes thats exactly how I feel. In most posts asking for Lara, the reason given for her inclusion is often just because she is female, which is as ridiculous as the assertion that she shouldn't just because she would be too similar to Nathan Drake! She was indeed marketed that way and in history I think she will be remembered in that way, for her certain 'attributes', I mean even the original creator makes a point about her gender being the decisive factor which ultimately sold the idea, giving the go-ahead for the franchise. No doubt the fact she was female is the definitive reason she 'made it', so its no surprise thats how most remember her.
Message 6 of 34 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3293 posts

Dec 26, 2012
Kos-Mos.

this is me helping
Message 7 of 34 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3293 posts

Dec 26, 2012
Actually, Kos-mos would he sooooo kickass. Ermerghard! My heart is aflutter with the thought.

this is me helping
Message 8 of 34 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
781 posts

Dec 26, 2012

Agree 100%. I hate it when people suggest characters based purely on the basis DIZ IZ SAUSAGE FEST LOLZ. If a character is  iconic and happens to be female, then yes, add her, but if she's not, and you want her in just because she's female, then no, don't. Kat was a great addition because she is a great character, the Queen of the vita and becoming truly iconic, she just happens to be female. 

All your suggestions would do, although i think Etna should be in to appease all those who are(rightfully) demanding an RPG rep.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Official Paramedic of the PSAS Forums bunker.
Message 9 of 34 (267 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
928 posts

Dec 26, 2012
stop requesting lara croft.. the team of the new game said, lara will NEVER be in allstars, so why do you still want this b itch? was she ever cool`?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 10 of 34 (254 Views)
0 Likes