Dec 20 2012
By: GameLink7 Lombax Warrior 160 posts

IGN's PSASBR League

5 replies 228 views Edited Dec 20, 2012

I don't think this has been posted on yet so:

I saw that IGN is hosting it's own league by one of it's members (and seems to be a spotlight in the IGN PS3 news). The sign up deadline will be DECEMBER 24th @ 12 p.m CST.

You can find details and register into the league here: http://www.ign.com/blogs/gamergriggs/2012/12/11/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-league/?abthid=5...

Here's a copy-paste of the rules if you want to read them here before reading them there:

My fellow All Stars,

The Beyond community has expressed interest in forming a Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale (from here on out I will refer to the game as PSASBR). I have decided that I will take up the mantle of organizing this league. A couple of opening points I'd like to make before I describe how to sign up.

First, this league will be honor system based. I trust the ign and beyond community are good, honest people and this will NEED to be present in this league. Secondly, this is a fun league that should be enjoyed by all. In other words, don't be a $%&# to the people your playing. Respect is important, a little trash talking is a well and good, just don't take it too far. Now, without further ado onto the specifics.

In order to sign up please comment in the comment sections below with the following, preferably, each on a new line. PSN name, first name, email address, and whether or not you would be willing to be a conference manager. Details about the responsibilities of conference managers will be described below. If you do not feel comfortable putting this information in the comment section, you can also direct message me the information on twitter @ErikGriggs. The sign up deadline will be DECEMBER 24th @ 12 p.m CST. 

Conferences

After the deadline, I will take all of the sign ups and divide them into 20 person conferences. Each with a voluntary conference manager. I will send everyone emails with the psn names of the fellow all stars in their conference no later than the end of the year, at this time I will also tell you the name and email of your conference manager. You're responsibilities as players will be to friend the other 19 members of your conference. Around the new year I will also email everyone their conference schedule which will detail whom their opponents will be for any given week. Matches can be played at anytime convenient to each player during the week they are scheduled to be played. Try and contact your opponents on psn early in the week to try and set up a time that works for both of you. If a you cannot take place in a match on any given week, you will forfeit. Typically you will play two opponents per week. Matches will be 3 stock, items on, hazards off. The matches will be best two out of three. The winner will then report the results of the match (just who won and who lost) back to the conference manager. At the end of league play (10 weeks), I will rank each player based on their record. The tie-breaker will be their head-to-head record. After league play, a tournament will be created, where all of the 1st ranked players play each other, the two ranks play each other, and so on from there. More details about tournament play will come in a later blog post.

Character Choices

Each player in their conference must play as a unique character. For instance, there cannot be two Sly's in a conference. A player must play as the same character throughout the entire league and tournament play. Character sign ups will be reported back to your conference manager as soon as you get your email with your conference information. Character choice will come on a first come, first serve basis. If you choose a character who has already been chosen in your conference, your conference manager will tell you to choose a new one from a list of still available characters. Characters must be chosen no later JANUARY 11th @ 12 p.m CST. 

Conference Managers

Conference managers have a lot of responsibility and as such, must be willing to keep up with the tasks they are given. The responsibilities of conference managers are as follow: manage character choices, receive match outcome information and then relay the winners back to me on a weekly basis in a template I will send to you in an email. More information about such details will be sent to the conference manager volunteers just after Christmas.

League Blog Updates

Every Sunday I will update my blog with results from the week, new standings for each conference, and unique statistical analysis of the standings and of matches which took place this week.

Matches will begin the week of January 14th. I hope everyone has a blast.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to comment below and I will try to respond to you or tweet me @ErikGriggs.

BEYOND!

---

I'm personally going to try to enter, and if you're interested you should go to the link above and enter as well. I think this League format is kinda unique (being one of my first) and I'm anxious to see how it goes (and hope that I get to be FP in my Conference lol)

~GL

#PrincessPowerhouse
#PrincessPowerhouse
Message 1 of 6 (228 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2365 posts

Re: IGN's PSASBR League

Dec 20, 2012

Not trying to steal your thunder, or spam in any way, but as a commissioner of my own league on www.pastastadiumleagues.com, that have been forming for some time, I can see a few problems here to start.

1. No official rule set. This will kill your leagues SO fast! Have you tested which stages are fair for 1v1 and don't indirectly help out one character over the other? If not, are you planning on using all stages? I see you have best out of three with items on, hazards off. Items can REALLY change the outcome of a match, and that's not a good thing.

2. One character from each player per conference? You'll run into problems! For one, how do you deal with DLC? Next, some stages and match ups just are better for one character or another. You are instantly setting up a league to benefit players of certain characters, and that is BAD. and when someone can't use the player they like I 100% guarantee they will leave and just not play. Sure people have backups, but if you have NEVER played Big Daddy in your life and that is the only option left, why would you torture yourself that way?

3. Now the weekly schedule is not bad by any means, but watch what may happen with time zones; you may end up with forfeit matches due to it being just plain difficult to get things set up. Also, how do you decide which person forfeited if neither can play the match? I have a feeling there will be a lot of L in people's records just due to timing, work schedles, and life in general and that sucks for everyone. 

4: Managers. It sounds good a first, until that one guy gets sick, or something happens to get them really busy and they can't take the workload, and you can't find a replacement. Be careful.

5. The Honor System. I KIND OF have one. But I also allow people to be reported, and have a rule that a majority of members can kick a rude or cheating player out. Why? Because being nice all the time just doesn't work. There are always people that will be rude and offensive, and if you don't have an official way to give them the boot, they'll just ruin it for other people.

That is all I have FOR NOW. For anyone seeing this that has a lot of time to play, and may even want in on a second league, I encourage you to visit www.pastastadiumleagues.com

Message 2 of 6 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
726 posts

Dec 20, 2012
They lost me a character choices. I wouldn't play as someone i didn't like just cause some1 else wanted to use FP or Toro

1/6/2013 - Defeated the #1 player in the World in a Ranked Match.

Currently maining: Parappa

Future mains: Zeus, Issac
Message 3 of 6 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2365 posts

Dec 20, 2012
Exactly. He's kind of setting himself up to fail. :/
Message 4 of 6 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
160 posts

Dec 20, 2012
It was kinda iffy on that part with me too, but since I've seem to missed on a lot of the events going on here, I figured I'd at least give this one a shot (and I was disappointed when I missed out on signing up for Pastaleagues)

~GL
#PrincessPowerhouse
#PrincessPowerhouse
Message 5 of 6 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Survivor
2365 posts

Dec 20, 2012
Well you didn't miss our now! Welcome in! Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 6 (168 Views)