Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 21 2012
By: Go_Buddie_Go Hekseville Citizen 371 posts

IGN Comparing Allstars and Smash Bros [EDITED]

[ Edited ]
6 replies 244 views Edited Nov 21, 2012

A few editors from IGN sit down to discuss both Playstation Allstars, and Super Smash Bros. Two editors from IGN Playstation, and two from IGN Nintendo.

Through out the entire video, they all bring up some interesting points about both games.

Audrey of IGN Nintendo:  When you first play Allstars you expect it to play exactly like Smash Bros but then you notice the differences, like building the super meter. It's a great mechanic but it lacks the immediacy of Smash Bros where every hit, and every punch just ups your percentages, and changes the possible outcomes of the game. Also Smash has these crazy bounce around mechanics just escalate as your percentages go up. Allstars is a very different beast, but that's it weakness because it feels very similiar to Smash but then it has it's fundamental differences.

Rich of IGN Nintendo:  With Brawl, the smash attack isn't something you're necessarily focusing on. A lot of people turn it off because it's the bouncy ball around, trying to ping it around, and I know she (Audrey) and the other guys who play here turn all the items, and the smash ball off. In Allstars, that is what you're trying to do, you need your meter, you need your special attacks, you need to be able to eliminate people with them. Where Brawl is just something very different.

Colin of IGN Playstation:  The high risk reward is one of Allstars most pointed features. Just in a sense that, Greg and I really like to play one on one and thats not something you seen a lot of. You set the game to 3 kills, and the game can last 15-20 minutes and then the game becomes very tactical, and if you miss that super, you're screwed. You have to build it back up again and I really enjoy that.

Greg of IGN Playstation: (Coming off what Colin said) That's my favorite part about it was when we started doing that, that was the real eye opening moment of how this game is not Smash Brothers cause with Smash Brothers anyone can come in, sit down, and have a chance at playing, but when you learn how to dodge roll, and you know what a flashing Sweet Tooth means, and you exactly whats going on thats when the game gets incredibly deep, and knowing strategies. Like for me jumping up and throwing down Sweet Tooth's mine, and pulling back and having you come to it to bait you and get underneath you and do my super. There's all these parts where, when you use your super. 9 out of 10 times when you use your super it doesn't end up in a kill at least in one on one when you're playing technically. So you need to understand how to link those together, and how to build your ap and get out there.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/11/20/comparing-playstation-all-stars-and-super-smash-bros

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (244 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1146 posts

Re: IGN Comparing Allstars and Smash Bros.

Nov 21, 2012

Can you summarise their thoughts for me? I don't feel like sitting through the video just to hear subjective discussion.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (231 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
371 posts

Nov 21, 2012

Levi_Skardsen wrote:

Can you summarise their thoughts for me? I don't feel like sitting through the video just to hear subjective discussion.

Well I summarized some of the best things each one brought up.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (195 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1146 posts

Nov 21, 2012

It seems like Audrey's main concern is that because All-Stars isn't Smash Bros, that's a problem. Is that argument really going to follow this game around forever?

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (181 Views)
Wastelander
558 posts

Re: IGN Comparing Allstars and Smash Bros [EDITED]

Nov 21, 2012
The main criticism that PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale will carry with forever is that it exists, period.

It's either too much like Super Smash Bros. or not enough like Super Smash Bros. It's truly disgusting that, so-called, "professional gaming journalists" have such tiny minds that they can't talk about this game and review based on its own merits.

Read any "review" for PlayStation All-Stars, I use the term review as loose as humanly possible since they are all just comparisons to Super Smash Bros.

The media has been a joke for a long time but it took this game to show everyone how clueless they all really were.
I hate Signatures because I can never tell if it's apart of their post.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (147 Views)
I Only Post Everything
882 posts

Nov 21, 2012

Yes the media is just fueling the fire to something that needs to die. Do you say Mortal Kombat is a ripoff of Street Fighter, Tekken a ripoff of Virtua Fighter, King Of Fighters a ripoff of  Blazblue, etc......No you don't because they are all fighting games with their own distinctions but with the same fundamentals as one another..People need to quit saying that this game is a ripoff it has been done before. TMNT Smash-Up, Cartoon Network Punchtime Explosion, & Onimusha Blade Warriors to name a few(That game is good)...4 player brawlers has been its own category for a while...nintendo fanboys just mad that PAS has a chance of being more successful....and it is in a lot of ways. If you call yourself a "Professional Journalist" you need to do your history first before you start running your mouth that goes for IGN, Gamespot, Machinima, and so forth cause clearly no one at these offices no nothing about fighting games and they history of them. 

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (125 Views)
Wastelander
722 posts

Nov 21, 2012
Yeah, Audrey's argument above made the least sense of everyone. I came off with the impression that she was trying to say its a smash ripoff but she said it in a more round about way to appear more objectionable.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (85 Views)
0 Likes