Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 16 2012
By: Negimafan Gaming Beast 1823 posts

Humans or Cartoons?

[ Edited ]
11 replies 247 views Edited Jul 16, 2012

This is kind of a divide in our community, so I'll be keeping score on which side is winning (in other words, vote).

I've noticed a trend when people make potential rosters to say "This game needs some more cartoonish characters to work." What I want to ask is why? That seems more like Nintendo's thing that ours.

The mascot boom in the 90's was mainly due to Sonic and Mario's rivalry in the past generation and the novelty of the 3-D platformer and 3-D adventurer (though we did jump on that bandwagon ourselves with Croc, Jersey Devil and Gex; in fact, Crash-Warped was one the best-selling games of the entire PS1 era). Yet the PlayStation was largely to thank/blame for killing that trend, instead bringing the industry's focus to less-whimsical concepts like driving, rpgs and horror (Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil). The 32-bit era was the first time humans looked like humans (Lara Croft was a major part of this). By the sixth generation stylized characters become more of a joke while the mascots that were successful rarely tried to appeal just to a younger audience (such as Son'y own Jak, Ratchet and Sly). These days the only successful games with a cheerful-looking protagonist are the ones that survived the fall (Mario may be the only one that's prospering).

History less over. Do stylized, happy-go-lucky characters have a significant place in this game, or should we focus on serious, human-like characters? Is it better or worse that the next Smash Bros will probably have Pac-Man playable while we take Heihachi?

I like to make PSASBR move-sets. Here's a few:

Dart.jpg Daedalus.png Selvaria.jpg Alicia.png Dante.png Ellen.jpg

Never say I don't contribute: I'm The Idea Man.

Community Move-Set for Specter. Help build it.

Message 1 of 12 (247 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41067 posts

Re: Humans or Cartoons?

Jul 16, 2012
Shouldn't be a 'focus' in either direction IMO. If fans want them or if they work within the game as an interesting fighter, their shape/design shouldn't ruin their chances.

Bring Patapon, Sly, Ratchet, Loco Roco, Prinny and a Moogle to the party with Drake, Radec, Cole, Kratos, Cloud, and the others.

Message 2 of 12 (214 Views)
I Only Post Everything
832 posts

Jul 16, 2012

I don't care either way so long as the characters are interesting and unique.

Message 3 of 12 (195 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13379 posts

Jul 16, 2012

i understand where you are coming from, but it would be best to have a mix. If you do not have the cartoony characters, you lose a lot of the roster. Crash, Spyro, Ratchet, Jak, Sly etc... are cartoony. But then we have others like Cole, Radec, Snake. Why split the community by having just one? If you mean to say maturity of a character's series is based on it's artstyle, then I recommend you look at Conker's Bad Fur Day. That was not for children.

Even then, all the series listed above are integral to the Playstation brand. I do not think the Ps2 would have been as awesome if Sly, R&C, and J&D never came out. Since they are so important, they deserve to be in this " love letter" to Playstation and its fans.

Why not have both? There is not ONE good reason to restrict it to "mature-looking" titles. They are both very important to fans. Not everyone liked MGS 2 & 3 on Ps2. Those cartoony games were some child's entire life and they, therefore, deserve to be in the game as much as grittier games.

Welcoming Committee
Message 4 of 12 (171 Views)
Sackboy
572 posts

Jul 16, 2012

It better off with "Humans or non-humans video game characters" then "humans or cartoons".

Message 5 of 12 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
746 posts

Jul 16, 2012
I agree with bob-maul completely.
Message 6 of 12 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1823 posts

Jul 16, 2012

I didn't say to pick one or the other, I'm asking which you prefer.

Here's a simple test:

• Rayman or Ezio (or maybe Connor)
  • Megaman or Dante (or maybe Leon or Chris)
  • Sonic or Kazuma Kiryu (or maybe Selvaria Bles)
  • Gex or Lara Croft

These choices all come from a single company, and since we've so-far only seen one representative per third-part developer, you're likely going to have to pick one or the other in these cases.

I like to make PSASBR move-sets. Here's a few:

Dart.jpg Daedalus.png Selvaria.jpg Alicia.png Dante.png Ellen.jpg

Never say I don't contribute: I'm The Idea Man.

Community Move-Set for Specter. Help build it.

Message 7 of 12 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2671 posts

Jul 16, 2012

We honestly, at least for our generation of gamers need a concrete balance. Super smash I find suffers from lack of serious characters almost to the point that adding one seems out of place. Where as I think PSABR is doing quite fine so far in balancing it out.

Serious / life like: Sweet Tooth, Kratos, Radec, Nathan, Heichachi (is that how it's spelt?),Cole, Big Daddy

Cartoon: FP, Sly, Jak, Parappa, Toro

So we have a raito of 7 to 5. Not bad.

I love Jak, Sly, Ratchet becuase they stand out so much to me. And I'll tell you all right now. There's a pattern in the gaming industry, two directions that they can go. One is make it as life like as possible but in turn it'll get to the point where you ask yourself, what gives? Then the other specturm is making it very cartoony, but losing out on a lot of realistic capabilites. So games (being games) will strive for some form of balance or give or take. The best games avoid the awkward downfall inbetween these two spectrums.

I think we can all picture characters that just fail miserably in terms of appeal.

New site for PSABR -> http://pastadium.forumotion.com/forum
--------

"Exit the stage. Your act is over." - Vergil

"Come on, come on, come on, come on, come on! Now die!" - Albedo
Message 8 of 12 (104 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13379 posts

Jul 16, 2012

Dumb question (sorry for being blunt). It's not a "which do you prefer." One should never decide because of the artstyle. I'd pick the better character for a fighting game or the one from my favorite franchise. The artstyle means next to nothing.

Negimafan wrote:

I didn't say to pick one or the other, I'm asking which you prefer.

Here's a simple test:

• Rayman or Ezio (or maybe Connor)
  • Megaman or Dante (or maybe Leon or Chris)
  • Sonic or Kazuma Kiryu (or maybe Selvaria Bles)
  • Gex or Lara Croft

These choices all come from a single company, and since we've so-far only seen one representative per third-part developer, you're likely going to have to pick one or the other in these cases.

Welcoming Committee
Message 9 of 12 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1789 posts

Jul 16, 2012

bob-maul wrote:

Dumb question (sorry for being blunt). It's not a "which do you prefer." One should never decide because of the artstyle. I'd pick the better character for a fighting game or the one from my favorite franchise. The artstyle means next to nothing.

I disagree. I think the artstyle is what keeps a game like this afloat.

Message 10 of 12 (78 Views)
0 Likes