I Only Post Everything
1001 posts

Re: How many sales to be successful?

Oct 24, 2012

Nocturnal__Gamer wrote:

Believe it or not but the game probably cost them around or more $30 million to make, that's the price of AAA games these days.  Although $30 million is kinda low for a AAA game.

Any idea of how much of the $60 Sony would get? It would give a good idea of how many sales they need to break even at least.

Message 11 of 36 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
644 posts

Oct 24, 2012

Depends what you mean by "success." I think 1.5 Million would be considered sequel-worthy.

But I think Sony wants big things from this game. I'm thinking 4 Million for Sony to celebrate and be excited about this series long-term.

If it were up to me, I would have this game be a phenomenon. Simply because I want third-parties on their knees to get stuff in this franchise. SuperBot can be more selective that way.

Message 12 of 36 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
451 posts

Oct 24, 2012

1 million seems a bit low to me honestly, idk how many units I expect it to sell but most major games sell well over 1 million. I think if it sells 2 million that would be considered successful.

1st Ever Black Belt (Acquired in Free For All)
1st Ever 2v2 Player to 300, 400, 500-1300 wins
1st Ever 2v2 Player to Black Belt level 300
1st Ever Free For All Player to Black Belt level 100
2nd Ever 2v2 Black Belt
Message 13 of 36 (148 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1001 posts

Oct 24, 2012

RexLozuresky wrote:

Nocturnal__Gamer wrote:

Believe it or not but the game probably cost them around or more $30 million to make, that's the price of AAA games these days.  Although $30 million is kinda low for a AAA game.

If so it was probably all for the rights of the characters... 

If they were intending to shell out big bucks for licensing, then I'd expect Crash to be the game.

The only reason I don't think he is is because he cost too much to get and they are very unsure on how well this game will do.

Message 14 of 36 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
596 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 24, 2012

There is A LOT you need to look at when trying to figure how a game can breaks even in sales.

Superbot seems to be a fairly normal sized dev team (around 60 I think, maybe more), they have been in production of the game for 3 years. It's impossible to say how much each of them makes, and how much sony has put into the project (resources, advertising, etc). Not to mention how much Take Two, Capcom, Namco Bandai, and Konami make in royalties.

Even when using THIS VIDEO, you cannot assume how many sales are needed to break even, let alone make the game considered 'successful'.

Message 15 of 36 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Oct 24, 2012

LX_Theo wrote:

Nocturnal__Gamer wrote:

Any idea of how much of the $60 Sony would get? It would give a good idea of how many sales they need to break even at least.

I don't know the math right now but I do know it's a lot of $60.

Message 16 of 36 (136 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1001 posts

Oct 24, 2012

Nocturnal__Gamer wrote:

LX_Theo wrote:

Nocturnal__Gamer wrote:

Which makes this game, as what I believe is a low budget AAA game, to probably be successful somewhere between one million and two million.

I can see it doing that if they advertise correctly. It also depends how they play down (or up even) its comparisons to Super Smash Bros.

Message 17 of 36 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1401 posts

Oct 24, 2012

5 Million....... 1st Week

Photobucket
Message 18 of 36 (124 Views)
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Oct 24, 2012
10 million billion
Message 19 of 36 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Oct 24, 2012

LX_Theo wrote:

Nocturnal__Gamer wrote:

LX_Theo wrote:

Nocturnal__Gamer wrote:

Which makes this game, as what I believe is a low budget AAA game, to probably be successful somewhere between one million and two million.

I can see it doing that if they advertise correctly. It also depends how they play down (or up even) its comparisons to Super Smash Bros.

Yeah, but I think they're doing good with advertising atm ever since they finally started advertising it.

Message 20 of 36 (107 Views)
0 Likes