Nov 12 2012
By: Iceman_Nightmare Lombax Warrior 227 posts

How many of you used to play N64 back then, and loved Rare

[ Edited ]
13 replies 506 views Edited Nov 12, 2012

Hey guys, 

My first console was Nintendo 64, I played a sh!t load of Super Smash Bros, Zelda Ocarina of Time Goldeneye 007 64, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Perfect Dark, Super Mario 64, F Zero X, StarFox 64, Donkey Kong 64, The World Is Not Enough 007 and Jet Force Gemini.

Since Rare has become my favorite game developers of all time, they made games that I still play till this date. I know not all the games up there is NOT from Rare... but I just want to ask you guys out there how many of you also played these games.

I didnt own a PS1, my cousin had one. So thats how I knew Parappa, Twisted Metal, Granturismo, Midieval, Metal Gear Solid...

I didn't buy the Gamecube, I got the PS2 after and thats how I started gaming on the PlayStation. The reason I chose the PlayStation 2 over the Gamecube is becuase of Grand Theft Auto. GTA was a PlayStation and PC exclusive at the time. So since I hated mouse and keyboard I went with PS2. Then later I bought the Gamecube in its late cycle for Super Smash Bros Melee, and Zelda Twilight Princess. I refused to buy the Nintendo Wii since it was weak in graphics and I bought the PS3 so I can play Grand Theft Auto IV (GTA being my favorite games of all time). 

On the PS3 my first game was Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, which I must admitt... I fawking love that game! Too bad Snake is not in this game still, I really wish Old Snake was in.

BACK ON TOPIC: I really wish Rare wasn't bought by Microsoft, and Sony would've bought them first. I know what most of you gonna say. Rare would have failed anyways, since most of the good developers of Rare left long time ago. I don't know if you guys know, but Rare had a lot of awesome ideas for the next games they were going to make, and Microsoft cancelled all of them since the weak sales of Perfect Dark Zero and Conkers Live and Reloaded. Rare was going to make a sequel to my all time N64 favorite game " Bad Fur Day", and a Perfect Dark 3. Microsoft cancelled all of them and made them made boring Kinect games... If Sony would've bought them, I think Sony would have still give them the freedom to make what they want, and we would have had these awesome sequels on PS3... and NOT TO MENTION MOST IMPORTANTLY HAVE CONKERS, BANJO KAZOOIE, JOANNA DARK, JET FORCE GEMINI GROUP all in PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale. Even not to mention the maps of their amazing games.

Having a fight in this bar:

Having a fight in Carrington Institute 

What do you guys think? Do you guys know Rare games?

Put Sephiroth in PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale
Photobucket
Message 1 of 14 (506 Views)
Survivor
2571 posts

Re: How many of you used to play N64 back then, and loved Rare

Nov 12, 2012

Jontron is that you?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 14 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
358 posts

Nov 12, 2012

Rare could have worked with Sony I personally feel they would've had a bit more freedom. But in the end they'd ultimately feel more at home with Nintendo and Nintendo is trying to buy some of Rare's trademark's that Microsoft hasn't been using as a result Microsoft has had to renew the trademarks to prevent them from losing their "precious rare series they would have wrecked anyway." Luckily one of the trademarks that recently got renewed was Killer Instinct so hopefully it will be seen in XBLA soon, not only that but Jet force Gemini's own Lupus got a Minecraft costume put into a costume pack, so hopefully they'll also be brought to XBLA. But it is sad that Rare has been reduced to producing games for the Kinect. Sigh it would have been cool to see Rare characters in this game, maybe Microsoft should at least try a Rare mascot fighter.

Playstation sig
Message 3 of 14 (441 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1087 posts

Nov 12, 2012

*raises hand*

Being born in 1995, I'm a child of the late '90s/early '00s, and while I regrettably didn't own a PS1 (I do own a PS2 and PS3), I still managed to have an awesome childhood with my N64.  Rare, in turn, would become a huge part of that childhood, since I luckily grew up during their "golden age."  My favorite Rare games were 007 GoldenEye, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Diddy Kong Racing, and my all-time favorite, Donkey Kong 64.  Sadly, we were only able to rent Banjo Kazooie and its sequel, or else they would've been on my list as well.

I was deeply saddened when I found out Rare wouldn't be making any more games with Nintendo, but even more so when I found out they were now working with Microsoft, the ONE company whose consoles I didn't own (not even considering the plummeting quality of Rare's games on those systems).  I definitely believe they would have been much better off with Sony, and I would have loved to see characters like Banjo and Conker in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

Message 4 of 14 (426 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1173 posts

Nov 12, 2012

Iceman_Nightmare wrote:

What do you guys think? Do you guys know Rare games?

Indeed. I know of mostly Conker & played out of a lot with my brother on Multiplayer & then lots of years later, I played the remake in which I never got to play the story back then in the classic Conker. I remember when I received books in the mail, I would check what cheats they had for Conker.

I knew of Banjo & Kazooie but I never played them & only my brother did. Rare was also known for "Donkey Kong Country" & that was my favorite Donkey Kong game & could pretty much be my favorite Rare game.

Iceman_Nightmare wrote:

I don't know if you guys know, but Rare had a lot of awesome ideas for the next games they were going to make, and Microsoft cancelled all of them since the weak sales of Perfect Dark Zero and Conkers Live and Reloaded. Rare was going to make a sequel to my all time N64 favorite game " Bad Fur Day", and a Perfect Dark 3. Microsoft cancelled all of them and made them made boring Kinect games... If Sony would've bought them, I think Sony would have still give them the freedom to make what they want, and we would have had these awesome sequels on PS3... and NOT TO MENTION MOST IMPORTANTLY HAVE CONKERS, BANJO KAZOOIE, JOANNA DARK, JET FORCE GEMINI GROUP all in PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale.

I heard about that. There was games that Rare had planned but instead, now they're a Kinect Developer.

But now you say if "Sony" would've bought them & then you say the characters of Rare in this game? Whoa..... why on earth would I want characters who had nothing to do with Playstation but games like Conker & Banjo were known for N64 back then & even today, all they received a remake (Live & Reloaded) & a game that wasn't Banjo 3 that lots of fans wanted.

This almost sounds like this is a request thread of Rare characters if they were bought by Sony. Cause if they were by Sony, we wouldn't know if the newer games by Rare would be a success compared to the characters we have now who are in this game who had excellent games (LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, InFamous, etc.).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GameAtHeart's Average Gaming & Entertainment Channel
Message 5 of 14 (424 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1785 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 12, 2012

The title of this thread alone brought a smile to my face, thank you for this thread.

The N64 was and still is my all time favorite console and I think Rare's best games were on the N64, I could go on and on about how much I love Banjo Kazooie as well as Tooie, I loved Conker, Donkey Kong 64 is my favorite game on the console, Diddy Kong Racing is my all time favorite racing game so yes I grew up with the N64 and loved Rare.

Message 6 of 14 (411 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11777 posts

Nov 12, 2012

In my opinion Rare made some great games during the NES and Super NES era, but by comparison their quality dropped a whole ton. The Nintendo 64 is one of my least favorite consoles of all-time, considering the available software. Games such as GoldenEye 007, Donkey Kong 64, and Blast Corps fell into the weaker category. I know some of these games have a lot of fans, but I wasn't one of them.

In the post-Nintendo 64 years, Free Radical's TimeSplitters is one of the very first PlayStation 2 games I would go on to play... and its also one of the most regrettable. At this point they weren't exactly the same Rare people knew them as, not that their history in the prior era had proven they had considerable talent. On the other side their eventual sale over to Microsoft didn't disturb me. After all it's Rare. Their best work I felt was that of the Donkey Kong Country series, which has seen success without Rare to guide it.

Message 7 of 14 (391 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1087 posts

Nov 12, 2012

GrayGargoyle wrote:

In my opinion Rare made some great games during the NES and Super NES era, but by comparison their quality dropped a whole ton. The Nintendo 64 is one of my least favorite consoles of all-time, considering the available software. Games such as GoldenEye 007, Donkey Kong 64, and Blast Corps fell into the weaker category. I know some of these games have a lot of fans, but I wasn't one of them.

I find this interesting, as I don't really see this side of the coin a lot.  As you said, a lot of others (including myself) were much bigger fans of Rare's N64 titles.

May I ask why you find the N64 titles to be weaker overall?

Message 8 of 14 (374 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11777 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 12, 2012
I enjoyed games such as Battletoads and even Marble Madness (which Rare only ported to the Nintendo Entertainment System). Comparatively, GoldenEye is a game I only felt to be okay. It wasn't a whole lot of fun exploring the GoldenEye universe with the smudged Nintendo 64 graphics of the time. The controls of the console weren't good; I didn't like the blocky controller or the combination of all its buttons. And generally, I wasn't in favor even of games like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Sure it's a good game, but compared to others I would put it nearer to the bottom.

My impressions of the Nintendo 64 on the whole wasn't very good. There were few highlights I saw from the system. Rare games mostly came up on the mediocre end, as I didn't care for the likes of Banjo-Kazooie or Conker either. Super Mario 64 and StarFox 64 are some of the only games I consider to be worth playing on the console. Mainly, the Nintendo 64 is a polar opposite to my love of Nintendo's early days. Though Nintendo redeemed themselves with the GameCube hardware, they faltered again with the Wii. I've no great expectations for the Wii U.

Message 9 of 14 (344 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5278 posts

Nov 12, 2012

GrayGargoyle wrote:
I enjoyed games such as Battletoads and even Marble Madness (which Rare only ported to the Nintendo Entertainment System). Comparatively, GoldenEye is a game I only felt to be okay. It wasn't a whole lot of fun exploring the GoldenEye universe with the smudged Nintendo 64 graphics of the time. The controls of the console weren't good; I didn't like the blocky controller or the combination of all its buttons. And generally, I wasn't in favor even of games like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Sure it's a good game, but compared to others I would put it nearer to the bottom.

My impressions of the Nintendo 64 on the whole wasn't very good. There were few highlights I saw from the system. Rare games mostly came up on the mediocre end, as I didn't care for the likes of Banjo-Kazooie or Conker either. Super Mario 64 and StarFox 64 are some of the only games I consider to be worth playing on the console. Mainly, the Nintendo 64 is a polar opposite to my love of Nintendo's early days. Though Nintendo redeemed themselves with the GameCube hardware, they faltered again with the Wii. I've no great expectations for the Wii U.
I oved the 64 and still do, it was my system of choice as a child closely ion front of ps1, banjo kazooie was great on the 64 it just got a bad wrap as a mrio 64 clone. I do agree with your DK 64 thoughts the nes DK country games were the best games I have ever played as a whole not just rare

#ProtectorProgramme
Message 10 of 14 (304 Views)
0 Likes