Jan 12 2013
By: GaleDaWindMasta Wastelander 587 posts

How do you fight against a good Jak?

9 replies 231 views Edited Jan 12, 2013

Mostly as PaRappa, since he's my main. I'll also clarify that I'm not in any way calling Jak overpowered. Just that I have difficulty when fighting him.

I know people like to look at Jak like he's one of the most underpowered characters in the game, but I look at him as one of those hard-to-master types and is fine as he is. He's definitely tough to fight against when played well. Coincidently, when the forums were being littered with thread about Jak being underpowered, a ton of good Jaks appeared online.

Now, what makes Jak so tough for me is how aerial and anti-aerial he is. His arsenal pretty much prevents me from getting close and staying close to him. Especially with his down circle's range and ability to guard break. It seems the only times Jak is on the ground is when he's knocked his opponent (me in this case, I suppose) into the air, or when he's using his forward triangle. He also has his forward circle, up triangle, and up circle to disrupt approaches from the air. His down square, up square, forward square combo, and aerial forward square do a great job at keeping him in the air to mess with his opponent.

This is troublesome, as Jak can rack up AP fairly quickly compared to most characters (not complaining; just explaining), and trying to grab him to prevent him from getting to his Level 3 is incredibly difficult when he's hardly on the ground to grab in the first place.

Any tips? I'm doing my best to improve my skills in general in this game (I have a long way to go, I know), so anything would be great. 

Also, again, I'm not complaining or anything. Jak just seems to be a hard counter to the way a play. I made a similar thread about Drake a while ago, and I've been handling him a lot better since then.

Message 1 of 10 (231 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6400 posts

Re: How do you fight against a good Jak?

Jan 12, 2013

Well I play Sackboy, and I usually just reflect his shots back at him regardless of the gun (unless there is stupid lag that makes me have to play completely different than I normally would) Jak mains have my gratitude, he is such a low reward character with low ap gain and the worst combo potential in the game.  As for PaRappa, mic grab a lot from a distance then start a combo? PaRappa anti air game isn't to bad as well with his up square, up triangle, and up circle. Maybe up circle when he is right above you charging the wave concussor for 30 ap?

Message 2 of 10 (220 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
417 posts

Jan 12, 2013

Being a good jak player I would say,  well since you play parappa it makes it difficult.   I would say us parappa's air foward triangle to try and close the distance between you and  try to keep jak from using his air down circle.   Sorry if that doesn't help because jak is a tricky character to fight.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 10 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
726 posts

Jan 12, 2013

GaleDaWindMasta wrote:

Mostly as PaRappa, since he's my main. I'll also clarify that I'm not in any way calling Jak overpowered. Just that I have difficulty when fighting him.

I know people like to look at Jak like he's one of the most underpowered characters in the game, but I look at him as one of those hard-to-master types and is fine as he is. He's definitely tough to fight against when played well. Coincidently, when the forums were being littered with thread about Jak being underpowered, a ton of good Jaks appeared online.

Now, what makes Jak so tough for me is how aerial and anti-aerial he is. His arsenal pretty much prevents me from getting close and staying close to him. Especially with his down circle's range and ability to guard break. It seems the only times Jak is on the ground is when he's knocked his opponent (me in this case, I suppose) into the air, or when he's using his forward triangle. He also has his forward circle, up triangle, and up circle to disrupt approaches from the air. His down square, up square, forward square combo, and aerial forward square do a great job at keeping him in the air to mess with his opponent.

This is troublesome, as Jak can rack up AP fairly quickly compared to most characters (not complaining; just explaining), and trying to grab him to prevent him from getting to his Level 3 is incredibly difficult when he's hardly on the ground to grab in the first place.

Any tips? I'm doing my best to improve my skills in general in this game (I have a long way to go, I know), so anything would be great. 

Also, again, I'm not complaining or anything. Jak just seems to be a hard counter to the way a play. I made a similar thread about Drake a while ago, and I've been handling him a lot better since then.

I agree. There was a Jak I had played against once on stowaways, and for the life of me I couldn't touch him because everytime i got close he either used up or down square, effectively keeping him in the air and away from me. I saw he was getting near his level and managed to slow him down by hitting him with a few items (couldn't for the life of me grab him) but in the end he got his lvl 3 (WITH 3 SECONDS LEFT!) and killed us all, winning the match. I wasn't even mad, it was an epic victory, but I was wondering how to counter him.

1/6/2013 - Defeated the #1 player in the World in a Ranked Match.

Currently maining: Parappa

Future mains: Zeus, Issac
Message 4 of 10 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
280 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 12, 2013

GaleDaWindMasta wrote:

I do have some problems with Jak's aerial abilities as ratchet. You just have to figure out how to engage him. If you see him charging up his wave concussor, either prepare to use your dodge, or get into position to hit him before he hits you. I don't play parappa, but I would suggest using the mic grab in mid air to knock him out of it and set yourself up for a combo on him. If he is about to use his down square, either move to the side or give him a face full of your boom box. (up circle) I believe a minor jump would put you out of the hitbox for the down square and put you into position to retaliate after he bounces back up. (could be wrong) I haven't played against enough Jak's to give much of an opinion on it, but regardless I think he is still a sub-par character.

Message 5 of 10 (196 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
587 posts

Jan 22, 2013
I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible to stop a Jak from getting to his Level 3 in FFA due to his ability to practically never touch the ground.
Message 6 of 10 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1819 posts

Jan 22, 2013

GaleDaWindMasta wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible to stop a Jak from getting to his Level 3 in FFA due to his ability to practically never touch the ground.

Not necessarily, some people have great aerial control like Nariko. She can be a nightmare for Jak. (Somehow I feel that Robot Chicken was trying to warn us...)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHAT IS THIS!?
Message 7 of 10 (93 Views)
Survivor
2457 posts

Jan 22, 2013
Neutral triangle his gun, it'll blast his shots back and allow you to get close for a nice combo.
Message 8 of 10 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
121 posts

Jan 22, 2013

use your Lv 1 as an anti air. 

" Everybody following their heart; that's a loser's strategy"
-Seth Killian
Message 9 of 10 (63 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
76 posts

Jan 22, 2013

The answer against a good Jak is the same as the answer against most other characters.   You either need to control the air space or force them to the ground.  Air control is very limited for Parappa so your best bet is to force them to the ground.

I don't know Parappa's moves as well as other characters, but in short you want to find something that puts the opponent in a hard knockdown state and then work on a tech catch game from there.  Basically you knock the opponent to the ground and they have 3 choices, forward roll, backward roll and stand up.  See if you can find an answer that covers at least 2 of those options and then use it as a way to fight Jak after you put him in hard knockdown.

Come watch competitive and casual PSASBR play:
http://twitch.tv/hotboxgaming
Message 10 of 10 (58 Views)
0 Likes