As the question says how do you pick your main for a fighting game.
1) Personality - In other words if u like the character u learn to use them regardless of their skill
2) Your Fighting Style - If u can only play as speedy characters then u pick the speedy character. If u like being a grabber u pick the grappling character
3) Looks - If they look cool then they're your pick
4) Go with the crowd - If u see everyone being a certain character in a fighting game u choose them because... well because everyone's choosing them
5) Other - Your own personal reasons
Personally I choose the 1st option because I only pick a character I like regardless of skill.
So how do you choose your main?
It's a bit of a mix between personality and fighting style for me. Mainly 1 just because that's the whole reason I'm even interested in games like this and Smash bros, but also 2 because it allows me to get into new series I haven't played yet with their characters since they might seem interesting and become likable to me. Not to mention that I just like variety from what I would usually pick for 2. But I would never do 3 because I am just not the type of person who's into tiers/fads or anything of the sort.
When I come to a game like this I come with the idea of representing my favorite franchise. In the case of this game, it's Sly Cooper and Infamous...so Sly and Cole will most definitely be my mains. I like those games the most out of Playstation's catalog of IPs. I also just like Sly as a character...probably more than Cole...but I really like Cole's powerset. I never focus on who is top tier...I just try to stay loyal to my choices and get as good as I possibly can with those certain characters.