Highlighted
Nov 24 2012
By: Thx2no1 Lombax Warrior 105 posts

How I Play: Guide to Mastering - Nathan Drake

[ Edited ]
11 replies 3582 views Edited Nov 28, 2012

Overview:

Drake is in the middle when it comes to speed but he is capable of packing a big punch with some fairly easy-to-do combos.

From what I've found, Drake is best at mid-screen action during 1-on-1 matches. His game is to be overwhelming. Short hop (tap X) a lot and use his A O (only one can be out at a time. don't try it if one is already out or you will just be fairly vulnerable if the opponent isn't directly below his kicking foot), A → O (can combo into ↓ □ a few frames after landing), and A ↓ O (for mixup and close range).

His aerial game is great if you mix up his O and △ attacks a lot. Use these attacks to space (such as A O and A △). Also, high jumping (hold down x) and pressing → △ as you fall is a great way to get an easy 15AP. Just be sure you know your timing with it (like Radec's sniper) and mix it up. This attack is only close-mid range.

Drake's BB (bread and butter) is his → □ (which causes them to be stunned, making them vulnerable to combos but can't be done more than twice or it'll knock down), ↓ □, → □ (press toward the direction of the opponent.  ↓ □ makes them fly over and around you), △ (hold forward after pressing △ or you will be out of range and stop after 4 shots, causing you to do the reload lag and dropping your BB) then □. Altogether it does 66-68AP on low damage. Not bad for a quick and easy combo.

Combos:

□, □, □ (has to be the kick), ↓ □, → □, △ (then hold → toward the opponent), (and once you're about to be done shooting and are right in front of the opponent, press) □.

12 Hits, 66-68AP (2+2+6+10+10+1(x7 to 9)+30)

↓ □, → □, ↓ □, → □, △ (hold ), 

11 Hits, 94AP

(In corner) x, A O, ↑ 

2 Hits, 15AP (5+10) 

(Against an invisible wall, like on the left hand side of Aldien's Tower [when at the top of it]) → △, x, A → □, ↑ 

3 Hits, 40AP (15+15+10)

(Into Super 1 - Midscreen and spacing specific) A O, R, □ (when tank is near opponent). To do this, you cannot be very close to your enemy and it has to be done right after A O or it will not sync properly.

(Into Super 2 - Midscreen and spacing specific) A O (when right in front of the opponent), R (this combo is guaranteed if the barrel hits).

(Into Super 1 (Situational): Corner only [not against invisible walls]) → □, → □ (doing this in the corner will cause the opponent to be knocked down), R, (then immediately)  □.

Follow-Ups After Aerial Oil Drum (Must hit grounded opponent to make them launch):

A O, ↑ △ (corner only)

A O, → △, ↑ △ (last hit will only work in opponent bounces off of the wall on the second hit and you aren't too close)

A O, □, □, □ (doing this in the corner can explode the barrel on the opponent)

A O, O (corner only. will explode the barrel on the opponent)

A O, → □, △ (hold →), (can explode the barrel on the opponent. if not, at the end, press) 

A O,  ↓ △ (can explode barrel on them if it bounces off of the wall and comes back)

Flashy Combos (not always best AP wise):

↓ □, (turn around and stay crouching) ↓ □, (turn around since the opponent will be behind you now) ↓ 

30AP

↓ □, (turn around and stay crouching) ↓ □, (turn around since the opponent will be behind you now)  △ (hold →), 

40AP

→ □, O, ↓ □ (hard to do, timing wise), (turn around) △ (hold →), 

44-46AP

*Can be done in the corner

Notes:

Drake's BB does not work in the corner. Don't try it but if you accidentally input → □, ↓ □, quickly turn around and press □ three times to back them up and not punish you.

All combos were done on Dante since his character is around average height and his posture is straight. Some combos may not work on smaller characters.

All of the combos are done with the AP setting on Low.

After the opponent is hit with the oil drum barrel, they will launch into the air. If you can see this coming, → △ will connect if in range, giving you a nice little bonus.

His aerial ↓ O has bad landing lag but it does auto roll him away where you can quickly follow up with an aerial O and → O

A O can be used in the corner and then O once you land to explode the barrel on the opponent (if at the right spacing).

Key: 

A - Aerial. If "A" isn't listed, the move is done on the ground.

Message 1 of 12 (3,582 Views)
Sackboy
577 posts

Re: How I Play: Nathan Drake (still being updated)

Nov 24, 2012
You really know Nate goddamitt!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

original.png

Message 2 of 12 (3,543 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
105 posts

Re: How I Play: Nathan Drake (still being updated)

Nov 24, 2012

lol I like to play fighting games and Drake is one of my all time favorite characters. I had to invest some time into getting him to be as good as he can be.

Message 3 of 12 (3,531 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
820 posts

Re: How I Play: Guide to Mastering - Nathan Drake

Jan 2, 2013

Thx2no1 wrote:

Overview:

Drake is in the middle when it comes to speed but he is capable of packing a big punch with some fairly easy-to-do combos.

From what I've found, Drake is best at mid-screen action during 1-on-1 matches. His game is to be overwhelming. Short hop (tap X) a lot and use his A O (only one can be out at a time. don't try it if one is already out or you will just be fairly vulnerable if the opponent isn't directly below his kicking foot), A → O (can combo into ↓ □ a few frames after landing), and A ↓ O (for mixup and close range).

His aerial game is great if you mix up his O and △ attacks a lot. Use these attacks to space (such as A O and A △). Also, high jumping (hold down x) and pressing → △ as you fall is a great way to get an easy 15AP. Just be sure you know your timing with it (like Radec's sniper) and mix it up. This attack is only close-mid range.

Drake's BB (bread and butter) is his → □ (which causes them to be stunned, making them vulnerable to combos but can't be done more than twice or it'll knock down), ↓ □, → □ (press toward the direction of the opponent.  ↓ □ makes them fly over and around you), △ (hold forward after pressing △ or you will be out of range and stop after 4 shots, causing you to do the reload lag and dropping your BB) then □. Altogether it does 66-68AP on low damage. Not bad for a quick and easy combo.

Combos:

□, □, □ (has to be the kick), ↓ □, → □, △ (then hold → toward the opponent), (and once you're about to be done shooting and are right in front of the opponent, press) □.

12 Hits, 66-68AP (2+2+6+10+10+1(x7 to 9)+30)

↓ □, → □, ↓ □, → □, △ (hold ), 

11 Hits, 94AP

(In corner) x, A O, ↑ 

2 Hits, 15AP (5+10) 

(Against an invisible wall, like on the left hand side of Aldien's Tower [when at the top of it]) → △, x, A → □, ↑ 

3 Hits, 40AP (15+15+10)

(Into Super 1 - Midscreen and spacing specific) A O, R, □ (when tank is near opponent). To do this, you cannot be very close to your enemy and it has to be done right after A O or it will not sync properly.

(Into Super 2 - Midscreen and spacing specific) A O (when right in front of the opponent), R (this combo is guaranteed if the barrel hits).

(Into Super 1 (Situational): Corner only [not against invisible walls]) → □, → □ (doing this in the corner will cause the opponent to be knocked down), R, (then immediately)  □.

Follow-Ups After Aerial Oil Drum (Must hit grounded opponent to make them launch):

A O, ↑ △ (corner only)

A O, → △, ↑ △ (last hit will only work in opponent bounces off of the wall on the second hit and you aren't too close)

A O, □, □, □ (doing this in the corner can explode the barrel on the opponent)

A O, O (corner only. will explode the barrel on the opponent)

A O, → □, △ (hold →), (can explode the barrel on the opponent. if not, at the end, press) 

A O,  ↓ △ (can explode barrel on them if it bounces off of the wall and comes back)

Flashy Combos (not always best AP wise):

↓ □, (turn around and stay crouching) ↓ □, (turn around since the opponent will be behind you now) ↓ 

30AP

↓ □, (turn around and stay crouching) ↓ □, (turn around since the opponent will be behind you now)  △ (hold →), 

40AP

→ □, O, ↓ □ (hard to do, timing wise), (turn around) △ (hold →), 

44-46AP

*Can be done in the corner

Notes:

Drake's BB does not work in the corner. Don't try it but if you accidentally input → □, ↓ □, quickly turn around and press □ three times to back them up and not punish you.

All combos were done on Dante since his character is around average height and his posture is straight. Some combos may not work on smaller characters.

All of the combos are done with the AP setting on Low.

After the opponent is hit with the oil drum barrel, they will launch into the air. If you can see this coming, → △ will connect if in range, giving you a nice little bonus.

His aerial ↓ O has bad landing lag but it does auto roll him away where you can quickly follow up with an aerial O and → O

A O can be used in the corner and then O once you land to explode the barrel on the opponent (if at the right spacing).

Key: 

A - Aerial. If "A" isn't listed, the move is done on the ground.

How do you memorize all this $ h i t? I know a few combos like the slide into a punch or barrel into an ak into an ak melee but thats about it.

The Kingdom of Longbow shall reign forever, for it is written in the stars above~
Message 4 of 12 (3,352 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
239 posts

Jan 2, 2013

Barrels

End Thread

Message 5 of 12 (3,343 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
168 posts

Jan 3, 2013
Why did you set AP gain to low?

Complain Less. Learn more.
Message 6 of 12 (3,329 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
83 posts

Jan 3, 2013

Don't forget to memorize grenade launcher trajectory.

To aim it at the highest angle,  do Up Triangle in midair

To aim it mid angle (about 45 degress) Just do Up Triangle standing.

To aim it at its lowest angle, press Down Circle to go into cover and then Up Triangle. 

Also, tranquilizer, tranquilizer...I recommend getting the hang of shooting people with it in mid air. At a 45 degree angle above the opponent press Forward Circle. It's also very easy to tranquilze them the second an oil drum knocks them up.

Tranquilized players are good targets for Level 1. 

I'll admit that I'd love to play the Last of Us 2: Among Hunters and The Last of Us 3: Joel's Deception. Thing is, Joel already was a hunter and he already deceived Ellie. So crap.
Message 7 of 12 (3,296 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1424 posts

Jan 3, 2013
Very good overview you got most of his tools down this could help alot of the drakes out there.. Smiley Happy
 photo IsaacSig_zps95a635ae.png
Message 8 of 12 (3,287 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
133 posts

Jan 3, 2013

Good stuff mate.

Message 9 of 12 (3,270 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
157 posts