Nov 25 2012
By: Thx2no1 Lombax Warrior 105 posts

How I Play: Guide to Mastering - Mael Radec

[ Edited ]
19 replies 347 views Edited Nov 26, 2012

Overview:

It's pretty obvious to know that Radec is great at being far away and spamming his sniper in Free For All 4 player matches, but what about 1 v. 1 battles? Radec may appear to be good at close quarters but actually he is and I'm going to tell you why. Note that all of these combos are done against Dante (because he is average height and has a straight posture) so there might be some character specific combos listed (let me know below in a reply). Also, this is my last guide on this site since I am making a forum for my Battle All-Stars Tournament, and everything PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, so every other guide will be on there.  Everything is done on Normal AP Regeneration. Alright, let's get started.

Radec is superb when he has his opponent near the wall. His combos are most damaging, hitting 155AP for a single combo.  He has a unique play style focusing on his grounded "→ o" a lot of the time. Catching them in this paralyzing attack will just set them up for a major combo, making the opponent feel sorry that they even decided to fight you.

He may have a hard time landing a hit with this attack but if it lands, oh my god.

Bread and Butter:

(May work against the wall if you have the right spacing)

→ o (throw this when standing a little ways away from the opponent), → △ (the opponent will launch and get stuck into the electricity). Now from here you are free to do whatever you wish, really. Let me show you some combos below.

Combos:

(against the wall) → △ (make sure they bounce off of the wall and come back to around where you are), (short hop and enter) ↑ △ (they should fly back and bounce off of the wall again while you descend), (quickly high jump then double jump and press) ↑ 

3 Hits, 90AP

Version A (midscreen) → o, → △, (short hop forward a little) → 

3 Hits, 65AP

Version B (against the wall) → o, → △, (short hop forward a little) → □ (make sure they bounce off of the wall and come near you), ↑ 

4 Hits, 85AP

Version C (against the wall) → o, → △, (short hop forward a little) → □ (make sure they bounce back to around you), (short hop ↑ △, (high jump but do not ascend all of the way. cancel the rest of the rise, after about halfway, with)  ↑ △ (will cause them to break out automatically after this hit)

5 Hits, 155AP

Type 1 (midscreen) → o, → △, (run up a little and enter) ↑ △ (the upwards shotgun can be done a little early. it has a larger attack box than you might think. this is a helpful tip for Type 2)

3 Hits, 65 AP

Type 2 (against the wall) (difficult timing) (start a few ways away from the wall. the electricity shouldn't reach the wall once it explodes and the sniper shot should not make the opponent bounce against the wall) → o, → △, (run up a little) ↑ △, (very quickly short hop↑ △ (while midair), (once you land, high jump then double jump afterward and quickly enter) ↑ △ 

5 Hits, 155AP

*Remember that the ↑ △ can be done a little early because of its large attack box. This will automatically give you a Super 1 starting from 0AP.

(against the wall, not right in it) (this combo is very spacing specific) → □, (make sure the opponent bounces against the wall and comes back to you, but do not hesitate, immediately follow up with another) → □ (again, make sure they bounce against the wall. also note that Radec is moving closer to the wall as well), →  (again but stop the loop after this and enter), □ (causing them to break out after this hit automatically but also they are falling from being in the air. use this time to run back a little and prepare to do this loop again or entering → o)

7 Hits, 140AP 

*Trying to do the →  loop 4 times will cause the opponent to break out after the first hit, leaving you with 130AP. It's an automatic Level 1 Super from 0AP. 

(against the wall) (be a little more further away from the way than Type 1 and 2) → o (don't enter this right in front of them), (while they are paralyzed, run up a little and enter (you can be a little out of range. this attack reaches far and if the first hit lands, the second one is pretty much guaranteed)) → , (wait for them to bounce back) →  (wait for them to bounce again), →  (after the bounce, enter), ↑ □ (substitute with another → □ if the opponent isn't high enough, making them break out after the first hit but you aren't able to be punished while throwing out the second attack and it does 135 AP)

8 Hits, 145AP

(Into Super 2)

(really easy but must be midscreen and the opponent cannot touch the wall) → □, R (immediately after. may have to mash)

Notes:

The Bread and Butter can be replaced with "o, → o" though its pretty much impossible unless they stand there and explode back into the electricity and it does 10AP less so this would classify as a flashy combo; not the most damaging but sure does look nice.

Best level to play 1 v. 1 with Radec on is Practice Stage Large. It is all flat ground with big walls. Perfect for this character's gaming style.

It is possible to combo after doing and aerial ↑ □ right in front of the character, but I think this is character specific.

↑ □ while grounded will not hit a grounded opponent.

Radec's best combos are very spacing specific.

I found his "↑ o" to be pretty useless.

If the electric grenade explodes and the opponent isn't there don't fret, you still have some time to launch them into it. 

His big combos that are spacing specific are hard to do but once mastered, he can be very deadly. Radec needs to somewhat overwhelm and mind f*** his opponent in order to really stay on top of them.

Now who say's Radec doesn't have any combos? :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 20 (347 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
814 posts

Re: How I Play: Guide to Mastering - Mael Radec (Unbelievable!)

Nov 26, 2012

The chance of all of these hitting is unlikely.

It's best not to rely on his over circle TOO much, because of it's very small hitbox. It's best to throw out there when you have extra time, and your opponent likes to jump at you, then if it hits you can follow up with up circle, shotguns, etc. Revolving your entire game around the move is not very wise.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 20 (328 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
105 posts

Nov 26, 2012

Myztyrio wrote:

The chance of all of these hitting is unlikely.

It's best not to rely on his over circle TOO much, because of it's very small hitbox. It's best to throw out there when you have extra time, and your opponent likes to jump at you, then if it hits you can follow up with up circle, shotguns, etc. Revolving your entire game around the move is not very wise.

Remember, this is how I play; everyone is different. I'm in no way saying that you must follow this and only this guide, it's only to help in any way it can. Over circle is what you need to rely on if you want to do his big damage combos and I say throw these a lot, not just to catch them in it, but to get them on the run and refrain from jumping at you. Also, the over square attack has nice range and can launch them into the over circle, if you want more range and more speed than the sniper.  I have listed some over square combos in case you want to use those instead. Take what you can from this and run with it, is all. :smileyhappy: This is also just mainly for combos as well.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 20 (322 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Nov 26, 2012

Agreed. I've hit red belt without using them at all - when I have the chance I up-triangle rather than stun. Takes too long and produces the same effect. I'd rather get them away faster to keep up the shootan

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 20 (314 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
105 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 26, 2012

SSDNINJA wrote:

Agreed. I've hit red belt without using them at all - when I have the chance I up-triangle rather than stun. Takes too long and produces the same effect. I'd rather get them away faster to keep up the shootan

I play him as an aggressive character who pushes his oppenent in any way he can, which is very different from the "coward" play style that mostly everyone uses. In my opinion, being aggressive and close can be just as good as, or even better, than keeping your distance. The over circles lead to larger, more rewarding combos and even if you dont want to use those combos, you can do 145AP combos without it (which is only 10AP less than the best over circle combo I've found) and it's rather quick for him.

Keep in mind, this is for 1 v. 1.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 20 (300 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Nov 26, 2012

Aside from your needless derogatory labeling of a long-range strategy as "cowardice" I still don't agree that opponents should be pushed. If you're playing Raiden or Kratos they'll do the pushing just fine. It's harder to keep them away than it is for them to get to you so that's where the up-triangles or up-grabs followed by up-triangles come into play.

1on1 isn't my speciality yet but for both FFA and 2on2 I stay separate and push boundaries whenever I can. I'm 52 Red with Radec on 2on2 so something must be working right :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 20 (292 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
105 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 26, 2012

SSDNINJA wrote:

Aside from your needless derogatory labeling of a long-range strategy as "cowardice" I still don't agree that opponents should be pushed. If you're playing Raiden or Kratos they'll do the pushing just fine. It's harder to keep them away than it is for them to get to you so that's where the up-triangles or up-grabs followed by up-triangles come into play.

1on1 isn't my speciality yet but for both FFA and 2on2 I stay separate and push boundaries whenever I can. I'm 52 Red with Radec on 2on2 so something must be working right :smileyvery-happy:

It is a cowardly playing style, running away and keeping your distance, but I in no way said it was bad; it's playing keep-away. And that's the way you play as this is mine (even says it in the title). Please remember that and that this is for 1 v. 1 only, not anything else.  

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 20 (283 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1297 posts

Nov 26, 2012
Awesome thanks for these tips!
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 20 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1918 posts

Nov 26, 2012

triangle forward... ^^^ ignore that junk , this is all you'l ever need 

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 20 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
136 posts

Nov 26, 2012
after reading this guide i realized that you never actually tried any of your tactics or combos in a PvP game you just did them all in practice mode. This kind of gameplay in completely impractical and if you ever win a game like this it is because everyone else left. For the other people who read this guide, THIS IS NOT HOW YOU PLAY RADEC. Here is a link to my guide http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Red-Belt-70-BP-Radec-Guide/m-p/3... good luck!
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 20 (261 Views)
0 Likes