Feb 01 2013
By: Aylas_Hero Survivor 2365 posts

How Do We Improve FFA

23 replies 223 views Edited Feb 1, 2013

Hello everyone! Ayla's Hero here for a very serious question!

Let's face it, we have a LOT of complaints here about ranked FFA. Let's not deny it qnd try to take a positive step forward.

Let's say as of right now, the characters are as is. No nerfs, no buffs, DONE. (Remember, this is hypothetical)

I'm not going to say in this thread anyone is right or wrong about a character being OP or UP, this is noth the point of this thread.

I've been considering finding a way to implement ranked FFA to the Pasta Stadium Leagues. And I want suggestions on how it could be improved WITHOUT changing characters.

Is there a beter rule set that would make it more effective, like kill limits or stock? 

Items? No items?

Hazards? No Hazards?

Things like that. 

ALSO!

What would be a better way to implement ranking? Base it on wins and losses and only allow you to fight matches with people close to that ratio? Or something I haven't thought of?

This will be a cool way to show SuperBot a way we can try to improve FFA and make it more fun for everyone. So leave your suggestions bellow, and we can have a positive debate and come up with something good!

Message 1 of 24 (223 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2365 posts

Re: How Do We Improve FFA

Feb 1, 2013
Bump?

I seriously just want ideas! Come on! How can we make FFA better and more competitive?
Message 2 of 24 (211 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
854 posts

Feb 1, 2013

As much as I admire the initiative, I don't think there is any major changes that need to be made. That is in regards to the games Ranked FFA setup, remove items and hazards and I think it's golden.

If you were to add FFA to your tournaments I'd suggest quite a few changes. The normal no items/no hazards and a banned stage list. Then it's decidiing which of the 3 modes you prefer, since no matter what you pick it will favor some characters over others. I'd personally go with Kill Limit since Stock and Timed can lead to stale play once a clear lead is set.

Message 3 of 24 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3659 posts

Feb 1, 2013

Maybe pit people up who are playing as similar teir characters? Raiden VS Cole, Spike VS Sackboy ect. I have trouble thinking about this sort of stuff. Maybe it's because I am wearing some tight pants.

Message 4 of 24 (200 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2365 posts

Feb 1, 2013
I think kill limit and no items/hazards seems like a way to go.

BUT! WHat should the kill limit be?

What stages might be good/bad?
Message 5 of 24 (194 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
46 posts

Feb 1, 2013

in my opinion the kill limit should be 5 that way matches would be faster and people won't be camping for lv3.

stages should be the medium~small ones like dojo or storeaways so that way everyone would have to fight and the same reason above it will promote less camping.

Message 6 of 24 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2365 posts

Feb 1, 2013
Don't want to make them TOO small though.

FFA Dojo IS a bit insane! Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 24 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
408 posts

Feb 1, 2013
Nerf Radec's ridiculous level 1.
Message 8 of 24 (180 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2365 posts

Feb 1, 2013
We're not talking about characters. :/ Read the post.
Message 9 of 24 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2538 posts

Feb 1, 2013

As far as game modes, I think the default 3 minute FFA is the most balanced. Characters with awesome level 3's wont get them unless the player is actually good, and thus, deserving of the level 3.

The problem with stock is that people turtle too much. It doesn't matter how many kills you get, you just have to get the last one. Creates some stale gameplay. Plus, bad players who usually wont have time to get their level 3 can do it since the games are longer.

The problem with kill limit is that it's even more random than FFA. Characters with good level 1's can get 2 multikills and end the game in under a minute. That isn't necessarily an indicator of skill, but the product of the perfect storm for that player to win.

3 minutes for me is 3 minutes for you. Are you good enough to do more in 3 minutes than I am? Or are you taking advantage of the game mode and turtling your way to a level 3? Or are you Raiden or Sly who can easily catch 3 people in their level 1 and end the game before we really get to see who's better?

Message 10 of 24 (165 Views)
0 Likes