Highlighted
Jan 28 2013
By: n00ne_imp0rtant Splicer 53 posts

Hate to admit, but Parappa needs a buff =[

[ Edited ]
28 replies 398 views Edited Jan 28, 2013

I've been in denial this whole time as I have mained Parappa, but it's now obvious to me that Parappa needs a buff. Not any AP buffs (his AP generation is fine), but his moves just can't stack against others.

• His level 1 is extremely difficult to hit with, near-impossible to get multi-kills with against experienced players, and he has no reliable kill confirms.
  • His level 1 and 2 both attack with his own body, putting him at risk for getting killed out of it (people LOVE killing me out of my Skater Boy)
  • His level 3 is useless, considering his level 2 can easily get 3 kills.
  • His mic grab attack is useful, but Nariko's sword grab, which is very similar, has greater range and faster attack speed. The mic grab attack also has an excruciatingly long recovery time; a missed mic grab offers a HUGE opening for opponents to hit.
  • He is one of the only characters with no ranged/projectile/ally attacks.
  • Characters with big sword combos (Kratos/Raiden/Dante/Nariko) can easily trap multiple enemies in both directions; Parappa's combos are only close-range melee, and thus not only can never trap multiple enemies, but also can easily be interrupted by other players.

I'm not calling for all of these to be changed; I'm just describing some severe ways in which Parappa is at a disadvantage. (i.e. I don't care that much about his lack of ranged/projectiles, but it is a notable disadvantage that he has to always "get in the brawl," endangering him to others' supers.) But some things like his mic grab, a critical move for starting any of his combos, are very tedious to use correctly, especially when Kratos' long-range attacks are extremely easy to hit with. Here are the changes that I think should be made:

• Mic grab should have a shorter attack time and shorter recovery time
  • Level 1 Super should either have a bigger range or be aimed horizontally instead of diagonally.
  • Blast It Up (upward boom box) should have slightly shorter attack time.

That's all, really. I don't want Parappa to be overpowered; he's more of a challenge to master than fools like Kratos and Raiden, so it's more fun to play as him, but I feel like I'm at a severe disadvantage sometimes when playing online. I think he has great attacks and awesome combos, but it's very difficult to get these combos initiated with these excessive attack delays.

Message 1 of 29 (398 Views)
Fender Bender
3009 posts

Re: Hate to admit, but Parappa needs a buff =[

Jan 28, 2013
I think he's fine.
[The YouTube Poser]

Message 2 of 29 (385 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3659 posts

Jan 28, 2013

Parapa is one of the most balanced characters IMO. The only thing I think should happen to him is a 0.5 sec decrease in his level 2. That way he can't get the 4th kill. It makes his level 3 not worth getting.

Message 3 of 29 (382 Views)
Splicer
53 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 28, 2013

Splatteregg wrote:

Parapa is one of the most balanced characters IMO. The only thing I think should happen to him is a 0.5 sec decrease in his level 2. That way he can't get the 4th kill. It makes his level 3 not worth getting.

He can only get a 4th kill if the opponent does an attack, which disables their "flashing" protection. I have confirmed this in Practice mode. If nobody attacks until his level 2 is over, it is impossible for him to get 4 kills out of it. Also, his level 2 is his only good super.

Message 4 of 29 (370 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1268 posts

Jan 28, 2013

He doesn't need a buff he's good the way he is now. Trust me I main him.

Message 5 of 29 (366 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
53 posts

Jan 28, 2013

Shadowmark123 wrote:

He doesn't need a buff he's good the way he is now. Trust me I main him.

So do I. He's my only 999. Every time I play as other characters, I'm always shocked: "Wow, it's so much easier to get kills with this guy, and I don't even know any of his combos..."

Message 6 of 29 (357 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1268 posts

Jan 28, 2013

I'm suprised you main him and not know any of his combos thats impressive.

Message 7 of 29 (350 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
53 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 28, 2013

Shadowmark123 wrote:

I'm suprised you main him and not know any of his combos thats impressive.

That's not what I said. I said that I know many Parappa combos (including this kill setup I came up with), but I don't know many other characters' combos, and it's still easier to get kills with others.

Message 8 of 29 (347 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
358 posts

Jan 28, 2013
Sorry, but he does have kill confirms to his level one. And his lvl 3 just feels awesome to use. His ap gain is quick, which makes up for a below average lvl 1.
If u have a mic and would like to fight with or against me, add me!
Message 9 of 29 (346 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1268 posts

Jan 28, 2013

believe it or not hes one moderatly underlooked characters. And yea I know little of other character combos.

Message 10 of 29 (346 Views)
0 Likes