Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 26 2012
By: Ginta2468 PlayStation MVP 6387 posts

Guide to mastering Sackboy. (Incomplete)

27 replies 2149 views Edited Nov 26, 2012

Overview:

Sackboy is a long range/trap character, and every one of his moves should be utilized to their fullest, some more than others. He has average speed and is more of a ground character that combos go in the air. He is also a small size character, so he can dodge some attacks by just standing, but better if ducked. Never have Sackboy in the middle of the action, he is best used away from everyone else. The moves you should use the most is his Electric Panel (down circle), Cakeinator (neutral circle), Bounce Pad Shield (down square), and Air Shooter to a lesser extent (side circle).

When to use his moves:

Like I said before, every single one of his moves should be used. I will start with his square attacks:

Neutral square (Slap Happy-Slap Chop) Use this as a combo starter and nothing else, his other close range moves are better at everything else. Builds 5 ap on first hit, 25 on the next

Side square (Grabinator Grab) Use this when someone is close you and you need to get them off of you. Activating an electric pad afterwards works wonders. Builds 5 ap when you first grab them, 25 when you slam them down. Grants super armor.

Up square (Gripple Grapple) This should be used to extend combos and when someone is directly above you. When Sackboy is using his level 3 and a bubble is too far above you, use this move. Builds 5 apwhen hooked on to them, 25 when Sackboy slams into them. Also attaches to ceilings

Down square (Bounce Pad Shield) This move has two uses: Getting an enemy away from you and bouncing back projectiles. This move isn't that safe though since it has a long recovery time, and you need to be right next to the opponent in order to hit. It does however build 30 ap, which is more than any of his other moves.

Air neutral square (Spinning Slap) This move isn't as useful as some of the others. It is good for a quick attack in the air that is faster than his others, but not much else. Builds 20 ap.

Nuetral triangle (Jam Session) This move should never be done if an enemy is right next to you since there is a startup time, which is why you are going to use cakinator more. This move however can go farther than the cakinator and bouncing can catch people off guard. The best time to use this is when there is a Air Shooter in front of you and you are on one side of the map, since the fan can make the jam session go almost full screen. Builds 25 ap.

Side triangle (Jetpack Corkscrew) This move is good for getting out of action, but only a bit. It can be a great combo extender, since on the ground it knocks the enemy on their but. Builds 20 ap.

Side triangle charged (Redline Corkscrew) This move is a charged version of Jetpack corkscrew. This ove is great for knocking enemies away and getting across the map. Builds 30 ap.

Up triangle (Jetpack jump) A move that sole purpose is to be a combo extender/starter. It launches Sackboy in the air, but if used in the air he can't use anymore attacks unless he hits the ground. Builds 20 ap.

Down triangle (Checkpoint Anchor/Popout) This move is the best way to get out of trouble. You should use it on the other side of the map then go to the other side. Pressing down triangle will put it in place, pressing it again will pop you out of it. The checkpoint can be destroyed though. 

Nuetral circle (Cakeinator) This is the move you will see most Sackboy players use, if not that is all they use. The cake can stick to surfaces, and stay there in place until someone hits it or you use cakinator again. This could be used as a great trap. The range isn't as far as the jam session, and the cake goes in an arc, and not as useful when paired with an Air Shooter, but still one of his greatest moves, so great than not even Fat Princess can eat the cake. Builds 25 ap and can be destroyed.

Side circle (Air Shooter) Basically known as the fan. This move will launch some moves farther distances, not Sackboy's Jetpack Corkscrew though. This also pushes enemies back, and certain projectiles as well at a faster speed, like Nathan Drake's barrel. Very useful when paired up with Jam Session. Can be destroyed.

Up circle (Bounce Pad Bounce) A move where Sackboy which be bounced into the air, a good way to avoid action and catching lvl 3 bubbles. It can only be bounced on twice and enemies can bounce on it as well. Cannot be used after a double jump.

Down Circle (Electric Panel) This is Sackboy's best move, and it only builds 5 ap! This move puts a electric panel in front of Sackboy that stuns, great for combo starters. It is also great for setting up any attack, getting out of trouble, and stunning any nearby attackers, great against melee heavy characters. ALWAYS have this move out, it is essential to his moveset, regardless of where you are on the map. Can be destroyed, cannot combo into grabs.

Side grab (Boxing Glove Sticker Surprise) Knock the enemy across the map.

Up grab (Spiderweb Sticker Surprise) knocks the enemy up and keeps them in the air by a spiderweb. Good to combo off of.

Down grab (Anvil Sticker Surprise) Gives hard knockdown.

Level 1 (Costume Clash) Possibly one of the worst level 1s in the game. It has terrible range, long startup, and can barely get multiple kills. The good thing about it is that is can be comboed off of the electric panel. Each costume gives different ranges, Parappa being a bit more horizonal, Cole launching more in the air with a side amp spin, and Drake hitting the most upwards. Interesting to note is that this super can be comboed off of his up grab, but only when it is Drake appearing, giving you a 1/3 chance for a kill. Better stick with his level 2 or 3. Cost 100 ap

Level 2 (Coal Catastrophe) Best when enemies are grouped up, he gets a wave of coal that can be placed anywhere and is hard to dodge and stays on the screen for a bit. Cost 300 ap(?)

Level 3 (Prize Bubble Bonus) Possibly one of the best level 3s in the game judging by the Sackboy haters. This move puts anyone in a bubble and Sakboy touching them, attacking them, or even using an item on them kills the bubbles. This also gives ap bubbles and items, making it very useful, but these can be used by the enemy. Cost 600 ap

Combos:

Sackboy has a different way to do combos than any other character. A lot of his combos are situational and require precise timing and positioning. Most of his combos do not work if there are platforms above you, to close to a wall, or if there is no wall at all, but being close to a side of the stage with no wall like Dojo after the walls get kicked off by Chop Chop Master Onion can let him repeatedly use his Gripple Grapple. Sackboy's max combo potential is 160, my max being 155, but I do know setups into his 160 and will try them later. I will show some combos Sackboy can do, some a lot easier than others:

Down Circle, nuetral square, down square- Builds 60 ap, 4 hits. (5-5-20-30) Basically his bread and butter. Great for getting enemies away from you.

Side triangle, down circle, side square- Builds 50 ap, 4 hits. (20-5-5-20) Another bread and butter. A good knock down combos.

Down Circle, nuetral circle- Builds 30 ap, 2 hits. (5-25) More useful than you think. Only use this one when the electric panel is a certain distance from you and then when the enemy steps on it use cakeinator. A good distance Bnb combo.

Up grab, move forward a bit, up square, side square- Builds 50 ap, but it depends on how much ap your opponent, 5 hits. (5-20-5-20) A great Bnb como with his up grab, and also for good knockdown.

Down Circle, nuetral square, up square, side triangle, nuetral circle. Builds 130 ap, 7 hits. (5-5-20-5-20-20-25, with an added 30 ap burst) This is Sackboy's most simple ap burst combo, but still requires a bit of timing. His up square will not connect if you don't time it right, and his neutral will not connect based on timing and how close you are to a wall. Does not work if there is a platform above you. Once you get it down though, you can use it with little to no effort at all.

Down circle (In front of opponent), nuetral triangle (Off a wall), up triangle, up square, side triangle, nuetral circle. Builds 150 ap, 7 hits. (5-25-20-5-20-20-25), with 30 ap burst. This is Sackboy's easiest situational combo, and by easiest I mean if you are jsut starting out you cannot perform this. The electric panel must be in front of the opponent, then you have to be a certain distance from the wall. Then use jam seesion off the wall and it will hit the opponent and bump them into the electric panel. Then with precise timing on everything else, do the rest of the combo. It is a lot harder than it sounds, because you need great timing and positioning.

*Will post more combos soon, some combos are better if I record them though.

Weaknesses

Sackboy is one of the easiest characters to juggle. Radec's sniper can bypass almost all of Sackboy's moves, and characters with counters can counter his projectiles, namely Sly. Sucks when in the middle of the battle. His level 1 is garbage unless used with electric panel, and has a 1/3 chance of what you want it to do.  Almost all of his best moves can be destroyed by any character, and a lot of his attacks have a startup to them and some long recovery. His bounce pad shield needs to be all close to the opponent  He also has a learning curve, but that isn't much of a weakness.

Tell me what you think, will update with more in the future, and make it more professional looking.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 28 (2,149 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1517 posts

Re: Guide to mastering Sackboy. (Incomplete)

Nov 26, 2012
HOW TO PLAY SACKBOY

1.PUT DOWN FAN
2.SLIM BALL
3.CAKE
4.LEVEL 3
5.WIN GAME

I WILL FIRE ALL MY SUPERS AT YOU IF YOU PLAY SACKBOY

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 28 (2,143 Views)
PlayStation MVP
6387 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 26, 2012

ihatemath113 wrote:
HOW TO PLAY SACKBOY

1.PUT DOWN FAN
2.SLIM BALL
3.CAKE
4.LEVEL 3
5.WIN GAME

Honestly that is his easiest way to win against bad players, heck that is almost how Radec players easily win. I know you hate fighting judging by your comments on other posts, but if you were to 1v1 me you would see that I don't even need the cake or jam to win.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 28 (2,129 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9668 posts

Nov 26, 2012

ihatemath113 wrote:
HOW TO PLAY SACKBOY

1.PUT DOWN FAN
2.SLIM BALL
3.CAKE
4.LEVEL 3
5.WIN GAME

Thsi right here...how hard could it possibly be to throw cake and gum all goddamn match?

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 28 (2,112 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
6387 posts

Nov 26, 2012

Goldhawk1 wrote:

ihatemath113 wrote:
HOW TO PLAY SACKBOY

1.PUT DOWN FAN
2.SLIM BALL
3.CAKE
4.LEVEL 3
5.WIN GAME

Thsi right here...how hard could it possibly be to throw cake and gum all goddamn match?

Hmm ok then. Try fighting any decent player 1v1 with that strategy, you will get bodied. Works against bad players and FFA, but 2v2 and 1v1 not as well.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 28 (2,102 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2516 posts

Nov 26, 2012

Stop running into the cakes. I know they're delicious but come on.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 28 (2,100 Views)
PlayStation MVP
6387 posts

Nov 26, 2012

I am actually pretty amazed that people fall for running into cakes. Heck I am surprised they fall for his spam.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 28 (2,093 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9668 posts

Nov 26, 2012
Oh yeah, I forgot you have to throw down the electric pad too, and if someone comes up use the reflective pad and then continue throwing cake/gum all day.

Yeah man such a hard character to use... LOL.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 28 (2,084 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
6387 posts

Nov 26, 2012

Like I said, try fighting any good player who knows what they are doing in 1v1 with that strategy. Does not work out very well at all.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 28 (2,076 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9668 posts

Nov 26, 2012

Ginta2468 wrote:

I am actually pretty amazed that people fall for running into cakes. Heck I am surprised they fall for his spam.

How are you not going to?  All every sackboy ever does is run into a little corner, throw down a lightning pad and a fan and start throwing crap everywhere.  if you throw a projectivle the fan throws it away, or he can pull out the deflector shield and gain AP from it.  

That lag pad is the worst, even if you destroy it it still shocks you after you break it if you do a dive bomb on it.  My cousin was fighting a sackboy and was smacking him with the blades of chaos and there was a lightning pad on the other side of sackboy and it somehow shocked him and made him stop attacking.  But any other land mine type attack gets blown up the second any attack hits it.

If you go in for melee he's got the lag pad to stop you, or he can roll/grab or throw cake to knock you back and let him continue spamming elsewhere.  

Spam is a joke, it's over powered and happens ALL THE **bleep** TIME and everyone's defense is 'DUR HURR HURR YOU CAN DEM ESCAPES DEM BE SPAMMIN DA MOVES DAT THEM USEDDD HAHAHALOOLOLOLOL' 

No, how about we cut the idiocy and just nerf AP gain of spammed attacks.  

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 28 (2,070 Views)
0 Likes