Dec 31 2013
By: kupomogli Hekseville Citizen 345 posts

Fun game, yet one of the worst balanced fighters of all time.

[ Edited ]
78 replies 664 views Edited Dec 31, 2012

Now that the game has been out for over a month, with many of us here playing it since day one, has your opinion of it changed?

Mine has.  I like the game at times, but then comes along a 2v1 or 1v1 match up because an ally I'm playing with dies in a stock match without making any kills.  Sometimes I win in a 2v1 match up, but when it comes down to certain character match ups and it's impossible with certain characters to win certain match ups, then I get **bleep** off because of the poor balance this game has.  Literlaly one of the worst balanced fighting games of all time.

Good Cole, Evil Cole, and Jak.  A 1v1 match up with just about any melee character is a bad match up.

Big Daddy.  Dante and Sir Dan are terrible match ups against Big Daddy.

Sly.  Sir Dan, Dante, Spike, Fat Princess, Parappa, Raiden, Toro, Heihachi, Nariko, Jak, Radec, Ratchet, Good Cole, Evil Cole, Sackboy, Big Daddy, and Sweet Tooth are bad 1v1 match ups.  Kratos, Drake, and another Sly are the only ones that have a good chance.

If it's a bad match up and you're of equal skill to the player, this means that you're more than likely going to lose.  You can pull a win.  But the other player is probably going to have a bad game or *gasps* isn't that good of a player.

Then let me get to blocking.  Blocking is, in all fighting games, supposed to be useful.  In Playstation All Stars, blocking is a bit too useful.  It guards from what you'd expect, not being able to be stuck into a combo and AP is heavily reduced.  Paired along side rolling, as a way to escape being grabbed, being hit into a super, etc, you have far more defense in this game than you do in any other fighter.  Why do you think 1v1 matches take so long?  Pair this with characters who have good evade and the combination is devastating.

Guarding is actually used as offense in this game it's so useful.  Example.  Play a melee character against a high level Dante.  Against other high level players, high level Dante's are required to use guarding as an offense.  As soon as the attack hihts, square x 3, cancel, into AP burst or level one.  In a 1v1, against a melee character, this will become a dance that the Dante will keep blocking and rolling, won't attack until he has a good chance to hit.  Sure the other player will get AP, but not as much as Dante will have made in one combo.  So it's a good strategy to get the other player to attack first rather than you taking the initiative.  Against a long range player he has to play differently.

SuperBot should have added low attacks or Super Smash Bros guard break system into the game, because allowing being able to constantly roll and guard drags fights on for way too long.  The term is called turtling.  In Playstation All Stars, it's far more annoying of a tactic then in any other fighting game.

Honestly.  The only way to really fix the balance is for SuperBot to restructure the entire game.  Increasing AP requirements or reducing AP gain isn't going to do anything when the character structure between other characters is what is unbalanced.

Like I said.  One of the worst balanced games in the history of fighting games.

Go play any Street Fighter and you'll see Ryu win against the more powerful Sagat on a regular basis.  Bloody Roar's Long has an equal chance to beat Bakuryu.  You guys get the idea. 

In my first few weeks of playing.  I would have told you I thought that this was better than Super Smash Bros, and I have.  However, as I've started to play with and have become much better with just about every character, it's easy to see how unbalanced this game is.

Good and bad match ups shouldn't be you have almost no chance at winning with this character if you're this character.  You should always have a decent chance at winning even with the worst match up.

Message 1 of 79 (664 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5743 posts

Re: Fun game, yet one of the worst balanced fighters of all time.

[ Edited ]
Dec 31, 2012

Honestly...I've been playing fighters since SF2, and Allstars has hooked me faster than any other. Sure there's a few things that I might adjust, but overall...I've never had so much fun with a fighter.

Message 2 of 79 (648 Views)
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1661 posts

Dec 31, 2012
I'd write in detail about where you are very wrong, but I'm on a phone and have a really bad headache, so I can't be bothered at the moment.
------------------------------------------------
Fresh to death
Message 3 of 79 (644 Views)
Fender Bender
3755 posts

Dec 31, 2012
I agree, and to the first comment that's not the point
Message 4 of 79 (643 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3755 posts

Dec 31, 2012
When evil cold can just up grab into super 1 its unfair.
Message 5 of 79 (638 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1785 posts

Dec 31, 2012
@pb_mal: Not to come off as a **bleep** but could you please explain to me why comboing into supers is unfair.
Message 6 of 79 (615 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3755 posts

Dec 31, 2012
He up grabbed. That takes little effort. He took that from dabuz after dabuz whooped him bad
Message 7 of 79 (601 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
240 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 31, 2012

People consider it unfair because not everyone can do it, and as a result there's "no such thing as a balanced game" with different setups and opportunities for characters. Considering the metagame is based very much on stumbles, crumples, and other setups into level 1's ,the characters who happento have the greatest opportunities to do these things are reviled and otherwise considered overpowered.Dabuz and I have been saying Evil Cole is the strongest in the game since literally day 3, but not even superbot considered that the case until people started bellyaching in the last week.

Throw setups in this game should be left untouched, if anything more characters should have convert combos out of throws. Complaining because people are developing metagames for characters and others are trying to pick it up is ridiculous.

Message 8 of 79 (599 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3755 posts

Dec 31, 2012
^^^

I knew I wrote this beforehand for you

Im sorry, but you are one of the thousand idiots that think, the person that makes the complaint hasnt tried avoiding, aren't you? Instead of replying with something an average follower would say just go fight asis for yourself. Tell us how you beat him using your meta game . You can ask any one I fought with my Dante up here how good he is. I been called the best Dante to the sickest Dante and have been complimented on not using the bold cancel. Now now, your probably thinking "what would that guy say" well guess what that won't work on me, have great day
Message 9 of 79 (591 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
240 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 31, 2012

I think that anyone who complains about being hit by a ground setup hasn't considered getting off the ground. If you're getting grabbed out of your landing, then you're not covering your landing. If your character cant cover his landing, then he probably isn't a very good character. Congratulations, you get compliments, that goes a long way to creating a strong diverse balanced game. Evil Cole creates absolutely no pressure that forces you to stay on the ground, if your character does not have a viable aerial set then they're missing a viable half of their moves.

Dante is a bad character, period. Instead of whining for people to be brought down to the level of a close range-only character with no viable ranged hitstun and lag for days, you should be wondering why superbot would make such a limited character. Evil Cole will never lose to dante because dante is a character who dies off of one mistake, regardless of who is fighting him.

Message 10 of 79 (583 Views)
0 Likes