Jan 28 2013
By: RikkiRossTheBoss Survivor 2454 posts

From Asis thread. whats zoning?

13 replies 337 views Edited Jan 28, 2013
It was mentioned alot in Asis recent thread about a form of gameplay, I've never heard of it, what is it?

I made this a different thread as I don't really wanna get caught up in the argument that was happening there.
Message 1 of 14 (337 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1868 posts

Re: From Asis thread. whats zoning?

Jan 28, 2013
Zoning is a tactic in 2D fighters usually used at mid-range or far mid-range, the purpose of which is to out-prioritize your enemy's moves. The idea is to space yourself so that you are in a position to respond to or punish any entry angle or attack of your opponent's. Ideally, you can use certain pokes and attacks to beat your opponent's attacks, punish his advances or jumps, and hopefully shut down his offensive options, while landing hits. In attempting to zone, it is important to know the properties of your own attacks as well as the attacks of your opponent, in order to find the best move to use in countering your opponent's move. The ability to predict your opponent's next move, and having good reflexes to react to that move, are also important.

Got it from google.
Message 2 of 14 (331 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2454 posts

Jan 28, 2013
So in Allstars what's an example?
Message 3 of 14 (323 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1868 posts

Jan 28, 2013
Radec is a great example for a Zoning character same as Sackboy.
Message 4 of 14 (317 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2538 posts

Jan 28, 2013

I classify it as using ranged moves and static traps to take up space on the stage so movement and attacking power is reduced for your enemy.

Message 5 of 14 (307 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2454 posts

Jan 28, 2013
Sooo its spamming enough to keep your opponent away from you like radecs sniper or jaks blaster? As it knocks them back and they can't touch you or hard to get close?
Message 6 of 14 (299 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
329 posts

Jan 28, 2013

i noticed on this server "zoning" is refered to a lot as "spamming" , its a tactic used to keep an opponent in a certain potition, weather that be across the screen, or right next to you, most zoning charectors are range based, such as sackboy, or radec.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mario kills turtles..... kratos kills gods.

looking for some art to look at! look no further!
www.noahmorrow.deviantart.com/

Message 7 of 14 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1868 posts

Jan 28, 2013
Thats the only way to explain Zoning in All Stars (I believe so) but in other fighters zoning is kinda different.
Message 8 of 14 (291 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
889 posts

Jan 28, 2013
I thought it was like an adrenaline boost like whrn your playing a fighting and suddenly you get harder to fight like if your a dante and destroy him but dante makrs a strong comeback and pulls out ap burst everywhere. The tactic you guys are mentioning sounds like keep away
Message 9 of 14 (270 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
280 posts

Jan 28, 2013

RikkiRossTheBoss wrote:
Sooo its spamming enough to keep your opponent away from you like radecs sniper or jaks blaster? As it knocks them back and they can't touch you or hard to get close?

Technically no, you can zone without spamming. Zoning is a threat, you punish someone for getting into your "zones". If they go out of their way to avoid your zones and effectively hinder themselves by doing so, you have zoned that person out.

Message 10 of 14 (234 Views)
0 Likes