Jan 02 2013
By: Asis_aka_Talent Wastelander 768 posts

Food for Thought... "Improving"

24 replies 512 views Edited Jan 2, 2013

Question for some of you... How do you go about improving in this game?  What do you find to be the best type pratice or training?  This thread is pretty much for me to see how everyone go about this.  I would like to compare and see if maybe I can learn something for one of you.  Because I find training in this game to be pretty tricky considering the way its made.  Have at it

YT: DatTeamAxcel for all my latest PSAS related content. I upload everything FFAs 2v2 1v1, Combo & How to Videos, and Player and character breakdowns.
Message 1 of 25 (512 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1146 posts

Re: Food for Thought... "Improving"

Jan 2, 2013

I generally find that taking characters you struggle against the most and setting them to 5 in versus helps considerably. No human can react as fast as the AI on 5, so if you can consistently defeat the AI opponent, a human should be a breeze.

Message 2 of 25 (506 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
574 posts

Jan 2, 2013

Ill tell you my way. Simple. I learn every move of the character i hate the most. that way, i can predict his move with no mistake. i dont just "try to guess it", i know it. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Main: Toro
Other: Kratos, Parappa, Heihachi & Sly

English is not my main language, so im sorry about my mistakes.

Show your support for Gex as DLC!

Message 3 of 25 (499 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
768 posts

Jan 2, 2013

Me Personally I train alot of effective set ups.   Meaning roll techs, ari techs, and just punishing rolling.  I find when you do this it helps yourself make the best teching descions you can make yourself.  I also find that the only way I can truly improve is to fight alot of people.  Reason is you want to learn your match ups.  If you fight a 999 Jak you know that this person knows the character inside out and you can learn all the best tech and options for level 1 confirms and things like that.  But this is mainly talking about 1v1 ffa is a different story.  I find that playing ffa with alot of skilled people is the best training to get better.  The best thing about this forum is the amount of people active.  There is alot but most  do more complaining than playing so ypu have about 50% of the people you can ask to play.  The best way to find skilled people is to look around.  Also i find there is alot of people who dont mind training others.  I have had training from Big Daddy mains, Jak mains, spike mainers, and nariko mains... all of which helped me improve with the characters and how to fight against them so overall...  If your looking to get better and you are serious about it my advice is to play ask for 1v1 add alot of people to your freinds list, check other psas forum sites all of these things will help you step your game up

YT: DatTeamAxcel for all my latest PSAS related content. I upload everything FFAs 2v2 1v1, Combo & How to Videos, and Player and character breakdowns.
Message 4 of 25 (489 Views)
Wastelander
768 posts

Jan 2, 2013

Levi_Skardsen wrote:

I generally find that taking characters you struggle against the most and setting them to 5 in versus helps considerably. No human can react as fast as the AI on 5, so if you can consistently defeat the AI opponent, a human should be a breeze.

i tried that it didnt work very well cpu does things humans dont and vic-versa

Message 5 of 25 (486 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
6393 posts

Jan 2, 2013

I usually try to get 30-60 minutes in practice mode whenever I am on to learn more techs, and sometimes fight a level 5 A.I., since while they don't do thing that humans do, they can easily punish your mistakes. I also try to fight around or better than my level, which can help greatly.

Message 6 of 25 (458 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2454 posts

Jan 2, 2013
Since this is a very decent thread and no harsh comments to anyone, plus this is something that needs to be spoke about within the community

@asis
Do you use a combo character, I.e Dante, nariko?
Message 7 of 25 (439 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1146 posts

Jan 2, 2013

Asis_aka_Talent wrote:

Levi_Skardsen wrote:

i tried that it didnt work very well cpu does things humans dont and vic-versa

Which is something you have to take into consideration for a human opponent. The main point is to improve your reaction speed to specific attacks.

Message 8 of 25 (430 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3659 posts

Jan 2, 2013

I jusy throw myself into quickmatch. Today I played as both Coles for the first time online.

Never again...

Message 9 of 25 (414 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
54 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 2, 2013

Playing really good people is obviously the best way to go about it, my partner and I mostly play ranked and sometimes we get matched up against pretty good players which really makes us learn a lot.

Learning each character helps me too. I've gone through and played every character, and when I get more time I'd like to get all of them to over level 100, I have about half either at 100 or like high 70s/80s.

Sometimes I play against the cpu on maxed out settings and try to just roll, dodge, run away to practice my dodging, then I practice playing against it. 

If I play a team online that I really struggle against, then I practice against two maxed CPUs to try and beat them, and I keep playing them until I can actually beat them which really helps me later on. I used to just get obliterated by Drake+Kratos, but doing this helped me so much.

Watching YouTube videos of how other people combo and whatnot, and then trying to find my own way to do realistic combos in game. If I can find practical combos that I can use in game to help me generate Ap with a character I end up doing much much better than just doing the basics. Although with Sweet Tooth, I feel I do better playing cat and mouse with my mines and shotgun instead of trying to land big combos. 

I've only practiced 1v1s a few times, but I will most definitely take your advice on that OP, thanks for the tip.

*Edit- I should also add that I do not know any big combos with Sweet Tooth haha. 

Message 10 of 25 (383 Views)
0 Likes