Aug 07 2012
By: Celtics_fan23 Sackboy 560 posts

Fight Stick/Pad Recommendations

8 replies 158 views Edited Aug 7, 2012

Ok. I decided to make this thread today fowling today's fight stick news. Anyway I'm thinking about getting a fight stick or pad now that PSASBR has announced official support for all major fight sticks. I'm an avid fighting game fan and never bought a fight stick/pad before because of the cost and frankly I didn't know where to start.

That's why I'm asking you. The fighting game experts out there. I want to know which Fight Stick or Pad is best based on:

• Price (Hopefully reasonable)
  • Feel (The feeling of pressing down the buttons, I love that clicking sound and feel)
  • Durability (How is the craftsmanship of the pieces and the stick as a whole)
  • Effectiveness (Will I be able to evacuee commands and combos efficiently)

I should also point out that I play Tekken 6 and SFXT a lot so besides PSASBR that's what I'll be playing with

Any help is appreciated, please provide links if you can.

Thanks

"They're all good at killing."
-Omar Kendall IGN LIvestream [18:33] 11/14/12
Message 1 of 9 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
307 posts

Re: Fight Stick/Pad Recommendations

Aug 7, 2012

If you're really tight on money your best option is the MadCatz Brawl Stick:
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-WWE-Stars-Brawl-Stick-3/dp/B004M25NNQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=13443...

The art isn't the best, but it's easy to upgrade when you get more money to some better Semitsu or Sanwa buttons. And you can always make a sticker to pur over the art if it really bothers you. 

Message 2 of 9 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
560 posts

Aug 8, 2012

Looks good but I hate the art work, I guess I'll look into it. 

Thanks

"They're all good at killing."
-Omar Kendall IGN LIvestream [18:33] 11/14/12
Message 3 of 9 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
563 posts

Aug 8, 2012
Pdp playstation 3 versus fightpad....im seeing if they announce one
Message 4 of 9 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
157 posts

Aug 8, 2012
If u want a good fight stick ur gonna have to go all in, a good one will cost big money so youll have to play alot to get your moneys worth. If ur not serious enough to play competitively, dont get a fight stick
Message 5 of 9 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2011 posts

Aug 8, 2012
I guess the Hori V3 would be okay. It's cheaper than most fight sticks, but it should get the job done as a beginner fight stick.

http://www.hori.jp/us/Products/PS3/ps3_fsv3/index.htm

Message 6 of 9 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
283 posts

Aug 8, 2012

mad cats usually makes official fight sticks for fighting games. i bout the one for soul calibur 5 and love it, i use it for tekken 6, SC5, and SF X Tekken, price is usually around 150, i use it everyday and its super durable, these things are built to last and since its a fighting game the commands will be easy, just map the buttons to your liking and youll enjoy the game

Message 7 of 9 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2388 posts

Aug 8, 2012
I have a couple old soul calibur fight sticks, never used em that much but will prob dust em off to give em a try. I **bleep** they make official psasbr sticks.
Message 8 of 9 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5336 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 8, 2012

For the record it isn't exactly news that the game will support arcade fight sticks. Every game technically supports fightsticks. They are a universal controller, minus a few buttons (just L3 and R3 I think). Although since the game uses the right stick it's nice they've mapped that to the arcade sticks differently.

With that said I wouldn't say it's worth splashing the cash to buy one. For one, unless you're going to buy the madkatz tournament edition or something better, don't bother. Whilst you can go with the cheap madkatz fightsticks I wouldn't recommend them at all. They're really light and small, if you want to take these games seriously you want something sizable and weighty on your lap.

Furthermore, this game is developed for console. You do not by any means need an arcade stick and in some ways it may hamper you. Getting used to a fight stick is a huge learning curve and your motions will be a whole lot slower at least at first. Arcade-built fighting games like Super Street Fighter 4 benefit from fightsticks because they're built with them in mind, over pads. They're awkward to play on a pad, since they're 6 - 8 button fighters (depending on if you want to use PPP KKK) it's difficult pressing multiple buttons in sync with eachother for things like FADC. Plinking, pianoing and double tapping are also techniques that arcade stick players can benefit from, but these are exclusively applicable to the more input-demanding fighters, some (plinking) only to super street fighter 4.

So it's kind of seen that in games like Super Street Fighter 4, a stick is unequivocally superior. However this is NOT the case for fighters designed with consoles in mind, like Mortal Kombat, Smash Bros, PSA, Tekken, Soul Calibur don't / won't benefit from a stick. It's still a viable alternative method of input but most people just use one if they've grown up using one. Don't make the jump over for a game like PSA where it's ultimately not going to make a difference, and initially hurt you a lot more than help.

Hope my reply was helpful.

Message 9 of 9 (101 Views)