Nov 29 2012
By: LiQuiZoN Sackboy 495 posts

Fellow Developer / Sr. Software Engineer. Minor/Issue suggestions.

[ Edited ]
17 replies 228 views Edited Nov 29, 2012

Hello all,

This will probably be the only time I post.

I hope a SuperBot employee reads this as It is pretty important for the end-user experience.

Minor issue:

- Please make the animations correspond to the direction at which the enemy player is being pushed/launched/moved.

Example: Nariko (in air) UP + Square.  It is a downward spin, yet launches the player upward.

Opinon:

This may seem pretty insignificant, but the reason why some games work better than others is for the simple fact that they visually and tactily coexist in unison. What I "SEE" should correspond to what happens in a gravity filled world. Minor changes like this make a very huge difference in the overall "FEEL" of the product.

-----

Major (imo) Issue

- The rolling/dodging mechanic is somewhat broken. It passes, but it should be examined from a player's first time perspective. The problem rears its head even for more experienced players. The issue revolves around Dodging while HOLDING a direction or doging by TAPPING a direction. For those who do not know, When you HOLD a direction, your character will face in the direction your holding after the roll. TAPPING will result as follows: Front Roll (180deg turn). Back Roll (front facing).

Opinon:

-  Firstly, I'd like to say , "I believe it is an unneccessary complexity  for a simple mechanic. I do have to mention Smash Bros, just once. Because the rolling mechanics are identical, minus the HOLD + Roll issue. Smash treats holds and taps like PSABR taps.

- While you can learn this and adapt to it, there comes a problem when you try to multi-tap a direction during a roll. You end up getting a HOLD + Roll performed. This leads people into facing the wrong direction about 20-30% of the time. This is very frustraing, because it is somewhat hidden unless someone exmplains it to you (or the tutorial). Even once understood a player will have the character do something on screen which they did not intend.  (This share similarity to my first minor issue, regarding visual representation). I believe this has caused the userbase, to find a subtle stumble in the fighting mechanics. Maybe many couldn't put a finger on what exactly was the reason for the overall fighting to feel alittle rougher. Well, if you roll, I think this will impact the experience.

At all minimum, I'm asking for an option to disable the HOLD + Roll mechanics. Meaning only "TAP ROLLS" will be registered.

Another suggestion is to make multi-tapping while rolling represent a TAP + Roll, instead of a HOLD + Roll.

--

Summary:

Both issues result in a product where the user does not feel "Fully Connected" to the character, which separates the GREAT games from the not so great. I hope you take these into cosideration. I would like to see the animations issues fixed on (All characters, if they have any moves that act this way) and a single option to remove the HOLD + Roll mechanic. I do believe the roll simplification would make a very BIG difference in overall feel.

Thanks for a Very fun game

Smiley Happy

Wii60 Killer Ryu
Message 1 of 18 (228 Views)
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Re: Fellow Developer / Sr. Software Engineer. Minor/Issue suggestions.

Nov 29, 2012
I agree with this.

Too bad SuperBot will never implement this. People who say dodge + roll never ever has left them facing the wrong direction are just lying outright trying to act like a pro. It happens on the Internet.

Bump.
------
Playstation God of War Stars Battle Bore y'all !!!
Message 2 of 18 (204 Views)
First Son
27 posts

Nov 29, 2012
Wow i could not Kudos this enough. The rolling in this game has been bugging the crap out of me. I didn't even know that there was a difference between tapping and holding. I guess I could get used to tapping but I would rather just eliminate the Hold roll. 90% of the time I roll I mean to face in the opposite direction.
Message 3 of 18 (188 Views)
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Nov 29, 2012
Yes, the dodge mechanics could be made "tighter".
------
Message 4 of 18 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
495 posts

Nov 29, 2012
The rolling issue influences the gameplay in a very radical way. Keep in mind that back-rolling with a hold will spin you around. After that it gets confusing to keep track of what direction your facing. I'm sure you see people online facing wrong directions several times in a match. I know I do.
Wii60 Killer Ryu
Message 5 of 18 (152 Views)
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Nov 29, 2012
I also agree with your notes about animations correspond to the direction at which the enemy player is being pushed/launched/moved.

This makes a lot of sense I don't know why they would make the game less accessible to more players.
------
Message 6 of 18 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
495 posts

Nov 29, 2012
Yes. Very basic design principals were broken most likely because of lack of time or they found balance issues in the initial implementation.

Still they should be fixed properly and not just "hacked" to work. It's the difference between a passionate developer with a vision and someone just "trying to get it done".

We are "Paid Professionals" which i believe means your work should be a representation or your quality as a professional.
Wii60 Killer Ryu
Message 7 of 18 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Nov 29, 2012
I'm a senior system software enginer myself Smiley Wink So yes I agree with you, I just hope SuperBot recognizes this issue and fixes it quickly before people get used to the "broken" way of doing things.

I somehow doubt they will fix this Smiley Sad It does help for the most part that if I perss UP + an attack button in the air it does something corressponding to an up attack in the game, having it the other way around is just wrong..

------
Message 8 of 18 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
495 posts

Nov 29, 2012
Great to hear! I'm glad you are interested in the core issues rather than the normal adolescent, "I want crash bandicoot in the game!" If the game is broken and it sells 300k copies who cares if u want crash, if the franchise is a bust.

Don't even get me started on the games title. That's a whole new thread topic. Lol
Wii60 Killer Ryu
Message 9 of 18 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Nov 29, 2012
Yes, I still don't think the title is a good one AT ALL... but careful we are surrounded by fanboys who will insist that this is the best title for this game... so I tend to keep a low profile on certain topics.
------
Message 10 of 18 (126 Views)
0 Likes