Wastelander
759 posts

Re: Demo Impressions!

Oct 6, 2012
I just found a demo at my gamestop here in Detroit (More like Clinton Township but close enough) and I spent a little time with it.

My impressions?

Big Daddy is OP as hell. No BS. Mash That Down+Triangle drill ground punch in the air or on the ground and shut everyone down. Jump and press down+circle to drop ice right on people and freeze, then forward+triangle to charge them and at the end of the charge, up+triangle to launch and follow up with a little air drilling.

I got his level 3 twice and almost to a level 2 in the three minutes. He's incredibly easy to build AP with and although slow, actually pretty mobile. Any faster and he would be unbelievably broken.

Speaking of broken! His level 3 is impossible! 5-7 kills per use, depending on the stage. Add in his really good level 2 and he's a serious threat in the right hands. Anybody who thinks BD sucks is mistaken.

Aside from him, I only got to play one round as Kratos. It's my anniversary so I'm already breaking rules. No games and no phones lol. He was cool, but not for me. Ill catch you guys later!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us--- The Colossal King
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us--- The Gravity Queen
Message 31 of 172 (467 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4120 posts

Oct 6, 2012

demo was awesome, i just wished it has some more characters and stages

Message 32 of 172 (456 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
288 posts

Oct 6, 2012

Man BigDaddy's down drill is not OP. It takes years to start up dude.  But anyway the demo is nice. with only 4 characters and 2 stages i found my self glued to walmart's ps3 controller hahaha. im still trying to figure out jak and daxters moveset. Thumbs Up!

Image Hosted At MyspaceGens
Message 33 of 172 (449 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6400 posts

Oct 7, 2012

HELLSAGENT_17 wrote:

Well yesterday, I was on the forums and I got to think, isn't Pokemon going to be released this Sunday? Usually new games get released on Tuesday, and I almost forgot that the Keldeo event was over, it ended today. So I rushed over to gamestop and got my event pokemon and pre-order in, I told the cashier my details and he told me "Playsation All-Stars Battle Royale, NICE!" and he continued to tell me that he actually had a demo set up in the store, I never noticed because the demo was shared with Rayman, a kid was playing Rayman.

So I walk up to the demo and ask the kid if he doesn't mind if I play, I didn't want to hurt the kids feelings by telling him that his progress in rayman might be lost, so I ask if I can turn it off to see if the demo is really on there. The kid was cool, he just let me have it. I was so happy to see the demo was really there, I told the kid "Play this game, it's better!" there were 2 controls and I offered to let him join me.

I only had time to play 1 match because I was being rushed. I won that match as PaRappa, the kid had no idea what he was doing but he landed 2 kills with JaK's Lv 2 after I told him to press R2 to use his special move, I should of told him a little bit later because he was a little itty bit away from Jak's lv 3. I won with 16 kills. It was a helluva lot of fun! I so can't wait for the official release!

Do you mean a score of 16 or really 16 kills, cause if you did, I want to fight you when the next beta is out.

Message 34 of 172 (422 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
759 posts

Oct 7, 2012
It didn't take years to start up for me. But that's usually because I was buffering it in the air, so when I landed it was already out and mashing adds like 6 more hits. Other than that, with just a little timing and planning, you don't have to worry about the start up and it generated like a third to a half bar of super in less than 10 seconds and causes an AoE stun effect an try don't have to be that close. Not OP? Come on.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us--- The Colossal King
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us--- The Gravity Queen
Message 35 of 172 (415 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1401 posts

Oct 7, 2012

Has anyone else play the demo anywhere. 

SuperBot needs all impressions to make this game better

Photobucket
Message 36 of 172 (390 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
954 posts

Oct 7, 2012
I haven't played the store beta but had spent lots of time on the Euro beta and my thought are the game seems very well balanced to me besides a few supers.

Fat Princess:
Level 1: Balanced
Level 2: Balanced
Level 3: need improving

Sweet Tooth:
Level 1: Balanced
Level 2: needs improving
Level 3: balanced

Radec:
Level 1: balanced
Level 2: balanced
Level 3: balanced

Parappa:
Level 1: needs little improvement
Level 2: needs nerf ( maybe less time or make him slower
Level 3:needs improvement IMO ( when I think of a level 3 I'm hoping for 5-6 kills, that's average for kratos, radec or sweet tooth. I understand it's guaranteed but I still think it needs some sort of improving)

Kratos:
Level 1: balanced
Level 2: needs slight improvement
Level 3: improvement

I would also just mention that I put most of my time into fat princess and found that it's very easy to combo into a level 1. If u jump down square it knocks the opponent down and stuns them for a second for u to pull of an easy kill. It's basically guaranteed kill unless somebody else hits u. This is where I'm concerned for 1v1s

is 1v1s just going to be who can combo into their lvl 1s first? I didn't put as much time with everybody else as I did with fat princess so I'm not sure if everybody can combo into level 1s as easily as fat princess

I would just also like to thank superbot for the invitation to the beta
Message 37 of 172 (368 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
954 posts

Oct 7, 2012
^sorry kratos level 3 does not need Improving on phone
Message 38 of 172 (366 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1401 posts

Oct 7, 2012

can you elaborate on what needs to be improved

Photobucket
Message 39 of 172 (357 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
162 posts

Oct 8, 2012

So after playing some more, I think I'd like to address the character sounds.

The matches that felt the most memorable were the ones where the characters talked to each other. Having Kratos scream "I will have my revenge" after getting killed was hilarious. Everytime PaRappa opened his mouth, it was so endearing.

Currently, it sounds like characters speak whenever they pick up items and that's consistent. What's not consistent is when they kill someone or if they die. I think it would add something if it happened more frequently. I think it would encourage competitive play if there was a little more trash talk for these ultimate battles.

I know announcing levels has been included, but the announcer should play a more active role. When someone scores three kills at once, there should be some type of acknowledgment from the announcer.

On an unrelated note, not sure why the shield appears as a purple hue first, and then the shield pops in. It should spawn as a shield.

There was an odd bug where PaRappa's boombox was stuck beneath the platform in Metropolis, and he was an NPC so he chased after it like an idiot. Also, NPCs sometimes randomly stop moving and attacking altogether.

I'm loving the current balance of AP generation for the four characters. And I have yet to see a truly ineffective super. Big Daddy has been owning us with his level 1. It would be nice to see NPCs go for level 2s and 3s sometimes instead of always doing level 1, but I'm sure this is something that can be adjusted via difficulty and behaviour settings.

As it stands, the game is best played with another human player. You won't believe how many times we all said, "just one more game" When you do really well, you want to play again. When you lose, you want to play again. It's a great balance.

------------------
THIS IS ACE

Team Aceun

Message 40 of 172 (334 Views)
0 Likes