Oct 06 2012
By: Strider_Doom Superbot Developer 46 posts

Demo Impressions!

171 replies 5614 views Edited Oct 6, 2012

Yo guys! I've read some impressions here and there regarding the demos at various outlets (GameStop, Walmart, Best Buy, etc.) and wanted to have them all in one thread. For those of you who have visited these kiosks, what did you think? Lemme know!

Clock

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 172 (5,614 Views)
Sackboy
577 posts

Re: Demo Impressions!

Oct 6, 2012

Well all i have to say is: congratulations, this game is awesome!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

original.png

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 172 (5,599 Views)
Wastelander
677 posts

Oct 6, 2012
I loved it it was amazingly fun and all the characters were great it played better then expected but I suck a being big daddy
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 172 (5,592 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3150 posts

Oct 6, 2012
I loved checking out Jak & Big Daddy! You guys have done an amazing job, and will continue to! Can't wait for the public beta!
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 172 (5,560 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
557 posts

Oct 6, 2012

I have to ask, are there any demos in Toronto? Did you just give the demo out to all retailers in North America, or just the States?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 172 (5,524 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1535 posts

Oct 6, 2012

Are there any in New Jersey, too?

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 172 (5,476 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1104 posts

Oct 6, 2012
Finally a dev is here! can you guys make a list of Gamestops with demos?
This is relevant to my inetrest
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 172 (5,475 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
519 posts

Oct 6, 2012

Any in michigan? Ive been to 6 gamestops and 2 best buys but found nothing

Join my tournament!
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Tag-Team-Takedown-Tournament/m-p/37621483#M18186
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 172 (5,455 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
572 posts

Oct 6, 2012
i liked the demo, Jak is one of my favorite characters so i was psyched to play as him. Needless to say, I was not disappointed with Jak. Although I have one question. Do all of the characters have decent combos? Maybe not extremely long combos like raiden or nariko. Jak seemed to only have 2-3 hit combos. But it could just be that nobody has had enough time with the game to find them out. thanks :smileyhappy:

ouyofo.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 172 (5,438 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
109 posts

Oct 6, 2012
Copied from my thread ageeeees ago

So I got the beta today (Thank you Superbot/ SCEE) and my initial reaction was "HOLY **bleep** I GOT THE BETA AAAAAH!". But after composing myself I decided to play and see if it lived up to what I expected.

To start things off the game looks so much better when you actually play it, the screens really don't do it justice because playing this on my TV I was actually blown away. Colours are bright and vibrant, the character models are faithful to their game's aesthetic but also fit in perfectly with the style of PSAS.

The controls felt a little odd (mainly because I never played many games like this) at first, but half way through my first game I seemed to get used to them enough to come out on top (Even though I missed Kratos' level 1super about 4 times. Everything is super responsive and I didn't really do anything I didn't intend to.

The user interface was clean and very blue. A little too blue perhaps but definitley better than the screen I had previously seen for it. The character select portraits are nicely done and when selected there's like a super saiyan-esque glow that surrounds them which is pretty cool. In battle the AP bars are sooo much better than the previous ones, each attacks have various AP tied to them and when comboed together seem to do more (unless you spam the same move then the numbers decrease). I still felt like I had to look down at my super meter far too often to see if I was ready, the glow around my character still didn't seem to be that noticeable, this led to me getting beat around a bit as I was constantly checking my meter. Oh and keeping track of my character was such a pain the arse.

Now onto the characters themselves (no sly )...
Kratos doesn't feel as natural as I'd have hoped (it doesn't help that I have just finished GoW 2 again), but once I got into the swing of things it was fine. I played my first match with him and won in the end, but I think that was a real fluke it just came down to me using my level 1 as soon as I got it. From what I've seen playing against him his level 2 actually seems worse than his level 1, I mean I was stood right next to him when he pulled one off and it didn't hit me.

Sweet Tooth is a cool character and builds AP pretty quickly, again it took some time to grasp his moveset but again in the end I won (I won all my matches... not that I'm boasting ). His level 1 is much better than I expected and because he builds meter so fast I could just keep firing that off to get a good number of kills. The only problem I had with Sweetie is that a lot of his attacks seem to leave him open. I never used or saw either of his other level 2 supers so no impressions there...

Fat Princess didn't go well for me, if it wasn't for over time I would have most likely been last haha (which isn't realy fair), but anyway her moveset was interesting and you can pull off some cool combos just from her Triangle attacks alone. Her level 1 super is extremely powerful (I managed to net 3 kills with it), but quite situational. Her level 2 is good but I never realised you still had to attack (duh), I ended up just running into people and hoping for the best.

Radec... when I first played against a pair of them it was actually hell. They spammed forward triangle from both sides of the map and it was torture, luckily both of them couldn't aim worth **bleep** when it came to his supers so all was fine. But using him myself I realised that spamming forward triangle didn't really get much AP, the best way was to make use of all the face buttons and really combo into that final sniper shot for an instant level 1 super (or so it seemed). In the way of supers, his level 1 is pretty good but I only used it once (got me 2 kills though!) it looked like he pulled out a minigun or similar. His level 2 is awesome if you fire it off from the side of the map, got me 3 kills both time I used it. Again I didn't get to use his level 3.

Haven't got a chance to use Parappa yet, nor have I seen anyone play as him either... hmm.

As for the stages I only got to play on Hades and Metropolis, I didn't really pay much attention to them though. They looked pretty though!

So in general I really love the beta so far and will probably update my impressions as I go. It's also good that I'm actually good at the game, or at least I seem to be I've probably been playing against complete idiots. Oh and that title theme is KICKASS, I could sit here and listen to it all day it's totally my type of music.
Lazarevic for PASBR
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 172 (5,402 Views)