Survivor
2388 posts

Re: Death Only By Supers: What Are Your Thoughts?

Jun 11, 2012

I think there will be plenty of room for strategizing once people actually get some decent time with the game. In an E3 interview Omar said that each character's super meter will grow at a different rate and there are ways to drain opponents meter (be it through items or throws). On the surface it may just seem like a race to whoever can get a super but there is more complexity hidden underneath. People should wait until the game comes out before they make a final judgement.

Message 11 of 53 (524 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2075 posts

Jun 11, 2012

another thing people need to remember when comparing this game to super smash brothers brawl is this, this is sony's FIRST attempt at a game like this and brawl was nintendo's THIRD attempt.  Now i thought the original super smash bros on n64 was an blast and played it all the time but, i'm not gonna lie, it was a little clunky and not super deep.  it wasn't until super smash brothers melee on gamecube that changed the series into the tight, complex fighter we know today.  So its true it may not be as deep as brawl but then again, neither was nintendo's first attempt either.  All i'm hoping for is a promising base mechanic that can be improved upon if the game becomes popular

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 12 of 53 (524 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Jun 11, 2012

this_is_Marko wrote:

another thing people need to remember when comparing this game to super smash brothers brawl is this, this is sony's FIRST attempt at a game like this and brawl was nintendo's THIRD attempt.  Now i thought the original super smash bros on n64 was an blast and played it all the time but, i'm not gonna lie, it was a little clunky and not super deep.  it wasn't until super smash brothers melee on gamecube that changed the series into the tight, complex fighter we know today.  So its true it may not be as deep as brawl but then again, neither was nintendo's first attempt either.  All i'm hoping for is a promising base mechanic that can be improved upon if the game becomes popular

That's actually a really good point. I think Omar said that Superbot plans to continue this franchise after this game. So, all they really have to do is get the fundamentals down and then they can expand from there.

Message 13 of 53 (524 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1704 posts

Jun 11, 2012

Well, lets be honest, im sure alot of us (myself expecially) was unhappy with this gameplay mechanic. it seems so...pointless. Just mindless mashing until your blueeee powerrrrr is high enough to "kill" another player. I know they are afraid to be acused of copying Smashes "percentage" system, but.. its already out there how they copied, and honestly, if your going to copy, copy from the BEST. Dont make the game less enjoyable, just so you have something to go to nintendo and say "SEE?! we didnt COMPLETELY copy you.."

Message 14 of 53 (524 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Jun 11, 2012

SON_OF_KRATOS666 wrote:

Well, lets be honest, im sure alot of us (myself expecially) was unhappy with this gameplay mechanic. it seems so...pointless. Just mindless mashing until your blueeee powerrrrr is high enough to "kill" another player. I know they are afraid to be acused of copying Smashes "percentage" system, but.. its already out there how they copied, and honestly, if your going to copy, copy from the BEST. Dont make the game less enjoyable, just so you have something to go to nintendo and say "SEE?! we didnt COMPLETELY copy you.."

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - SON_OF_KRATOS666

I don't know about that. Yeah the gameplay mechanics may seem one-dimensional, but honestly, so does SSBB. You can only kill with supers in PASBR, and you can only kill by knocking your opponent off the stage in SSB. I think if it's done right, PASBR will be a lot of fun.

Message 15 of 53 (524 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1704 posts

Jun 11, 2012

I dont know. im not putting too much faith in it. honestly, they would be better off just putting multiple game modes in. (which if they are such big fans of fighting games like they say they are..)  I want Stock matches ad Timed, include those, ill be happy. keep the "new super system", but dont force us to play like that.

Message 16 of 53 (524 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Jun 11, 2012

SON_OF_KRATOS666 wrote:

I dont know. im not putting too much faith in it. honestly, they would be better off just putting multiple game modes in. (which if they are such big fans of fighting games like they say they are..)  I want Stock matches ad Timed, include those, ill be happy. keep the "new super system", but dont force us to play like that.

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - SON_OF_KRATOS666

They said numerous times that stocked and timed matches would be included...

Message 17 of 53 (524 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
179 posts

Jun 11, 2012

While I agree with you to an extent, don't forget that when Super Smash Bros. debuted there was nothing else like it on the market (I guess there was The Outfoxies, but that was an arcade game). I'm not sure if both the community and the press will be as forgiving with this battle system if it ends up being sub-par when marked next to the competition. SSB was at an advantage because there was a lack of direct competition (by that I mean in the brawler genre as SSB wasn't ridiculed for being a "clone" of something else). Hopefully SuperBot's battle system will be the answer as it doesn't seem like they'll be catering to the ringout/health/percentage crowd, at least according to interviews. So far they've only confirmed a timed and stock mode, but hopefully we'll see more modes that revolve around this system and in some light will promote a deeper sense of strategy. I do agree with you in that at least they have a foundation, and from there, all they need to do is build. I'm really hoping for a demo or beta of sorts!

Message 18 of 53 (524 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2075 posts

Jun 11, 2012

everyone keeps bringing up the logic of "if they copied this much why not copy all of it".  let's apply that logic to nintendo for a second.  if nintendo copied the dynamic zooming camera, environments that hurt you, respawning items that you can use to hurt your opponent with and then throw at them, and the general gameplay from "the outfoxies", why didn't they just take the health bar system as well instead of adding a percentage mode? why not just copy the characters?  because then, as with everything, gaming wouldn't move forward and smash brothers wouldn't have gotten as big as it did.  every game is built upon a game that came before it and altered slightly to make it fresh.  If people just flat out copyied  "wolfenstein 3d" as opposed to taking key elements and and altering them into something else, the entire first person shooter genre wouldn't even exist, just thousands of "wolfenstein 3d"-esque games that are all exactly the same

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 19 of 53 (524 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
62 posts

Jun 11, 2012

THE FOLLOWING IS MY OPINION.

Im going to vent my thoughts on PASBR based on all vids and review from IGN/E3.

The game: Love it. Always wanted to see a Sony title fight. Heck a few years ago a few friends and I made a roster of characters we'd like to see in a game like this.

First thoughts, unique. Second thoughts, dead end. Ill explain why and rebut what Ive read in this thread. Lack of damage component. Damage components are the basis to ALL fighting games; street fighter, mortal kombat, ssbb, soul caliber, tekken etc. What does damage do? Damage components to attack give you HEAPS of ways to execute/FINISH HIM! In PAS you literally have THREE ways to finish off an enemy, most of the time youll only see the first few out of necessity to kill. There was a comment above that stated that this game encourages people to jump into the fight and build AP as this gives you the ability to recover from large defecits such as being down 4 stock. This logic is EXTREMELY flawed. Based on the videos ive seen of PAS if you die you do NOT lose your AP bar. Sure you can kill the person winning and reduce the defecit but they still have their Super. One hit and youre dead REGARDLESS of how far youve come. Some characters have very powerful level 3 supers. Big Daddy for instance, floods the arena and ALL enemies move at NEAR PARALYSIS speed (snail pace), this is in comparison to other Level 3 supers that can be completely avoided.  In Smash Bros you can sit back and lay some distance shots but with diminishing returns and SMALL STAGES laying back is NEAR USELESS. ADDITIONALLY, competitive matches are 1v1 so you can play keep away all you want but you are just delaying your death. In friendly party games with your friends its always funny to have someone play keep away because he DIES FIRST.

There is no competitive scene for this game. Why? You have limited options to KO, you need to build AP to execute the kill, and stages do no damage and pose little to NO threat. Ill compare this to SSBB and explain why SSBB works competitively. If PAS was slightly more like Smash Bros the PSN lobby system would make for a VERY VERY strong competitive party game and the re-playability will be tops. Ill set a scenario: Metroid stage (rising lava stage), 4 player FFA, all 4 players are at their final stock and nearing 150% damage, lava begins to rise, what happens? EVERYONE rushes up to the platform to fight for survival. At this point positioning and awareness is EXTREMELY important, attack pushback is now every critical. Competitively this is what people want, suspense. There will NEVER be such a situation like this in PASBR because there is no damage, no stage/airborne KO, stage gimmicks are not lethal or critical, and supers on specific characters are a lot more overpowered than others.

The lack of any given combo system is also disheartening. I want to be able to 0-death Kratos with Fat Princess. In EVERY SINGLE fighter game it is possible to KO someone via combos from the get go. You cannot do this in PAS and as much as people say 'it makes this game noob friendly' that is NOT a positive point. Youre probably thinking 'you can smash someone, get enough AP and then execute the kill' but that isnt a combo system especially because you cant generate enough AP fast enough to qualify for a combo (BASED OFF ALL IGN and E3 VIDS ive watched).

I UNDERSTAND that this game is still in development and theres always DLC but if SuperBot wants this game to take off competitively and draw the attention of SSBB players and new players then bring in a SSBB/Street Fighter combo system. I dont want to lose to some random bloke online because he sits back and mashes his fastest attack them supers me. (http://au.ign.com/videos/2012/05/22/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-lacks-punch Greg from IGN basically sums it up)

Dont get me wrong, im still going to buy it because I love all fighting games.

tl;dr Not a fighting game but a button mashing race.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ly1nxj.jpg
Message 20 of 53 (524 Views)
0 Likes