Dec 04 2012
By: DivinePaladin27 Treasure Hunter 4668 posts

Day 88: Cutting Corners

11 replies 128 views Edited Dec 4, 2012

For those of you who may be wondering, the weekly thread will be up for sure later today, after I get the last few backed-up threads up. I ended up exhausted yesterday and slept through most of the daylight hours, so my apologies for missing that.

Today's thread is about something very unprofessional, but at the same time something very professional. I have conflicting opinions about this topic, so I'll just jump right into it:

SuperBot cut some corners. Now, you may be thinking that I'm conceding something about the Arcade Mode or anything of the like, and you'd be wrong. I'm talking specifically about their reuse of certain effects in this game. For example, after creating freeze effects and animations for Cole, they made an item that did the same thing. They used the electricity/stun effect at least a dozen times. The Murder of Crows was reskinned as Sly's confusion bomb attack. Jak's Mass Inverter's effect was reused. Hell, all of the status effects in this game are thrown into a single item!

I find this very smart. Many developers actually do this regularly, because, well, why would you make that particle effect or add that method into the game's code just to use it once? It's not cost-effective to do. However, I find it very unprofessional at the same time, because SuperBot made it blatantly obvious that they did so. Often times, developers will at least change parts to make it unique or to make a copied concept look different from another. Final Fantasy is known for reskinning enemy types and giving them new attacks, for example. SuperBot didn't do this. The Great Mighty Scythe will sometimes give the exact Mass Inverter effect, green coloring and all; perhaps it was an oversight, or perhaps they felt people wouldn't notice. Considering the plethora of effects they did add into the game, I'm not necessarily against the fact that they cut a few corners here; I'd rather have the same copy-pasted effect twice if it's executed differently, as opposed to a regular effect used only once. Yeah, the Freeze Missile matches one of Cole's attacks, but to me that's better than not having that item at all.

This criticism is, well, just that. I'm not irritated with this choice in the slightest, but it caught my eye and made me think about what could've been done better. I figure that bringing this up now at least increases the chance that it's handled better in the future, and that's exactly why I'm doing so. I don't doubt we'll see an effect or two used again in the DLC characters, and that's fine by me. Perhaps they'll hide it a bit better this time around.

What do you guys think about this? Be sure to let everybody know below!

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 1 of 12 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14623 posts

Re: Day 88: Cutting Corners

Dec 4, 2012

I see this as resourceful rather then corner cutting. I cannot imagine what other effect would be used for freezing someone when there is a freeze effect already in place. Smash had this with Ice Climbers and the freeze item. 

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 2 of 12 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4813 posts

Dec 4, 2012
As for the item, I think that's the point of it. It takes other characters effects and randomly uses them. I think that was a pretty cool idea.

Message 3 of 12 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14623 posts

Dec 4, 2012

wobbleSPLAT wrote:
As for the item, I think that's the point of it. It takes other characters effects and randomly uses them. I think that was a pretty cool idea.

I agree with this. I just see no point in NOT reusing the effects. If anything, it makes the game look inconsistent.

Message 4 of 12 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Dec 4, 2012

bob-maul wrote:

I see this as resourceful rather then corner cutting. I cannot imagine what other effect would be used for freezing someone when there is a freeze effect already in place. Smash had this with Ice Climbers and the freeze item. 

The ice effect, though my most mentioned, wasn't really the effect that I had the most issue with.  The twister and Mass Inverter effects are the ones that I noticed the most, because they're both copy-and-paste AND they're pretty unique as opposed to a regular freeze effect.

ecdf9e46
Message 5 of 12 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Dec 4, 2012

bob-maul wrote:

wobbleSPLAT wrote:

I agree with this. I just see no point in NOT reusing the effects. If anything, it makes the game look inconsistent.

It's not about not reusing them.  It's about masking the fact that you did.  Game development is one of the laziest careers that exists; you're always looking for the easiest ways to do things so that you can save time and move on and do other things.  However, with things such as this, a simple reskin isn't that difficult to do.  I feel that straight reuse without any attempt to make it seem different (note: not make it BE different, just SEEM, that's important) is a sign of unprofessionalism in game development.  Given the fact that they're a new company, it's understandable, as I mentioned.  I'm simply providing the critique so that it doesn't go unnoticed next time.

ecdf9e46
Message 6 of 12 (96 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
854 posts

Dec 4, 2012

I really hadn't noticed this at all.

Message 7 of 12 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14623 posts

Dec 4, 2012

DivinePaladin27 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

wobbleSPLAT wrote:

It's not about not reusing them.  It's about masking the fact that you did.  Game development is one of the laziest careers that exists; you're always looking for the easiest ways to do things so that you can save time and move on and do other things.  However, with things such as this, a simple reskin isn't that difficult to do.  I feel that straight reuse without any attempt to make it seem different (note: not make it BE different, just SEEM, that's important) is a sign of unprofessionalism in game development.  Given the fact that they're a new company, it's understandable, as I mentioned.  I'm simply providing the critique so that it doesn't go unnoticed next time.

It saves time, money, and goes relatively unnoticed. I did not notice these things until you just brought them up (besides the freezing one).

Message 8 of 12 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Dec 4, 2012

bob-maul wrote:

DivinePaladin27 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

wobbleSPLAT wrote:

It saves time, money, and goes relatively unnoticed. I did not notice these things until you just brought them up (besides the freezing one).

It's also something that I would do, and have done already, in an amateur game design class.  Being lazy is one thing, but showing it is another.  It's not as if I'm bashing SuperBot and calling them horrible, but I'm not going to sit here and act like they do no wrong either.  This is an issue that will only get more noticeable as they add more to the game if not mended.  With only a handful of items right now, it's relatively difficult to notice if you're not privy to these kinds of things, yes (outside of the Great Mighty Scythe, as that's the most noticeable facet of this), but when PSAS2 hits with 30+ items, and every other item is a rip-off of one of the same three effects without a single change, it'll be an issue.

ecdf9e46
Message 9 of 12 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
863 posts

Dec 4, 2012
Definitely not the first game to reuse effects ..... I think that this is a miniscule problem among much bigger problems with the game.
Message 10 of 12 (80 Views)
0 Likes