Dec 02 2012
By: DivinePaladin27 Treasure Hunter 4668 posts

Day 87: Items Redux

[ Edited ]
10 replies 178 views Edited Dec 2, 2012

If I may, I'm going to call on one of my old daily threads in its entirety:

"So far, I like the items that are present although as a whole they're currently a bit bland. Not many of them are too similar to one another, and they are able to represent some game series that couldn't be represented with a character or stage (whether that's due to time restraints or lack of possible character/stage mashups is unique to the game itself, so I won't get into that).

"One of my early reservations with Items was that the ones we first saw all seemed to have an AP effect, which when compared to Smash, doesn't seem to mix as well into the gameplay. I was worried for a short time about whether the items would end up as nice additions or general hassles. However, as time has gone on, they've expanded the types of items more and have for the most part solved my issues.

"Currently, here is the breakdown of the items:
6 AP:
     4 AP Knockout (Spear of Destiny, Razor Claws, RPG, Baumasu's Axe)
     1 AP Drain (Leech Beam)
     1 AP Gain (Nanotech)

3 Stun/Freeze (Hedgehog Grenade, Freeze Missile, Sonic Rift)
3 Non-AP Attack
     2 General Attack (Murder of Crows, BDL-23 Dohvat Laser Designator)
     1 Knockback (Market Fish)
2 Character Buffs
     1 Speed (Boots of Hermes)
     1 Shield (...Shield)

"From what I understand, we're looking at 24 total items, so we've still got 10 left to see. I'm hoping we see a bit more variety, like maybe a few more character buffs and some more non-AP attack items. However, this may be where Minions come into play, so I'm not really sure how this'll balance out (I'll touch on Minions as soon as we have substantial information on them).
Now, while 24 may not be much compared to Brawl, I do want to note that I don't have a major issue with any of these items so far, whereas I disliked many of the Brawl items (and I'm talking about casual, screw-around play, not hardcore tourney play). I'm sure some of them will inevitably **bleep** me off, but for now in concept they're just as good as, if slightly less-varied than, the Brawl item set."

Since this particular thread (a whole 71 threads ago), we've gained six to seven items. I say six to seven because the God of War Chest is technically an item, but it's so rare that I've yet to see it in the game (I've heard that it is), and from my knowledge cannot be turned on or off. I'm going to update the list that was mentioned in the old thread to account for the new items, and comment afterwards on certain things:
10 AP:
     5 AP Knockout (Spear of Destiny, Razor Claws, RPG, BDL-23 Dohvat Laser
     Designator, Fusion Bomb)
     1 AP Drain (Leech Beam)
     2 AP Release (Nanotech, God of War Chest)
     2 AP Block (Hedgehog Grenade, Railgun)
11 General
     5 Enemy Debuff (Murder of Crows, Great Mighty Scythe, Freeze
     Missile, Sonic Rift, Sackbot)
     3 Knockback (Market Fish, Killer Bees, Baumusu's Axe)
     2 Character Buffs (Boots of Hermes, Gravity Shield)
     1 Kill(?) (Medusa's Head)

Okay, so I rearranged a few of the categories around and moved a few items into more correct categories. A few items could fit in other places (Baumusu's Axe and the Killer Bees don't really give knockback, but that's the most accurate place I could fit them in) without adding separate categories for each of them. Now, that said, there obviously aren't 24 items as I'd anticipated. However, the items that we do have are varied enough that any reservations I'd still held onto are gone. For example, no two items are that similar; some that have the same effect are polar opposites (the Razor Claws don't have huge knockback like the RPG does). I'm really happy that a the items are as varied as they are, even if some of them achieve similar effects.

That said, them achieving similar effects is something I'm going to be touching on soon...Until then, let me know what you think of the items!

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 1 of 11 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1807 posts

Re: Day 87: Items Redux

Dec 2, 2012

The GoW chest is less of an item and more of a stage "benefit" I'd call it.  It only appears on the Metropolis stage and comes out of the conveyor on occasion similarly to the exploding boxes and items and such

Message 2 of 11 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1361 posts

Dec 2, 2012
what.
Message 3 of 11 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Dec 2, 2012
Actually, that's a good way to put it, musicfreak. Although I've noticed as well that certain items tend to appear more on certain maps. Perhaps that's just me going insane, but that seems to hold true for a few items on Hades, for example.
ecdf9e46
Message 4 of 11 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5278 posts

Dec 3, 2012
I have noticed that it seems that only up to tree items are ever seen in a stage no matter how many times you play there. I feel like the items arent random but planned for eac stage. I honestly don't like tat feelingf
#ProtectorProgramme
Message 5 of 11 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Dec 3, 2012

ATOMB0Y_ wrote:
I have noticed that it seems that only up to tree items are ever seen in a stage no matter how many times you play there. I feel like the items arent random but planned for eac stage. I honestly don't like tat feelingf

I don't think it's necessarily that, but it does feel like certain items are more likely on certain stages.  I've seen most to all of the items on stages where I noticed this trend, so I don't feel that it's a set guarantee of specific items.

ecdf9e46
Message 6 of 11 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4813 posts

Dec 3, 2012
I like the items. In smash they are super integral to the game when you turn them on and can easily change the whole game into a whoever gets the item first battle. Here, they are just helpers and never really do the work for you or turn the game around

Message 7 of 11 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5278 posts

Dec 3, 2012

DivinePaladin27 wrote:

ATOMB0Y_ wrote:

I don't think it's necessarily that, but it does feel like certain items are more likely on certain stages.  I've seen most to all of the items on stages where I noticed this trend, so I don't feel that it's a set guarantee of specific items.

well regardless I don't feel variety with items like I had expected

#ProtectorProgramme
Message 8 of 11 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Dec 3, 2012

wobbleSPLAT wrote:
I like the items. In smash they are super integral to the game when you turn them on and can easily change the whole game into a whoever gets the item first battle. Here, they are just helpers and never really do the work for you or turn the game around

Well, to me they've turned the game around a few times.  Using Crows gets me a lvl1 kill nine times out of 10.  That one kill (or two, if I got Crows twice) has in a few rare cases won me a match.  However, other than that gripe I agree with your comment about the items being less of a factor.

ecdf9e46
Message 9 of 11 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3716 posts

Dec 3, 2012

musicfreaklam wrote:

The GoW chest is less of an item and more of a stage "benefit" I'd call it.  It only appears on the Metropolis stage and comes out of the conveyor on occasion similarly to the exploding boxes and items and such

totally this,

and it has to be long enough, 

chances are you wont see it on a ranked match...

Play For Fun!
Message 10 of 11 (81 Views)
0 Likes