Highlighted
Dec 01 2012
By: DivinePaladin27 Treasure Hunter 4668 posts

Day 86: Patch

[ Edited ]
21 replies 248 views Edited Dec 1, 2012

I've gotta catch up, as I fell behind due in part to a wonky sleep cycle this week. My apologies for that. Today's thread is going to address some issues with the patch notes recently released by SuperBot.

First, I'm entirely glad they ONLY balanced Sackboy. Perhaps they overdid it a bit, but we'll have to see if it can be classified as a real nerf or not once it hits. However, the fact that they ignored Kratos and Raiden complaints by fans is a sign that I like; it's showing that they're looking at actual problems rather than caving in to fan requests and making the game unbalanced just to appease the vocal minority, and also that people are playing the former two characters exactly like SuperBot expected them to and that Sackboy was being played differently to the point that he was gaining more AP than they expected him to. Right now, that's the best thing they could've done to show that they're not gonna bend to the fans like Naughty Dog did with Uncharted 3.

The thing I like more is that it's an actual patch more than a balancing fix. They added in Medusa's Head (perhaps a last minute glitch forced them to cut it for the time being, or they changed it from a kill item?), and fixed some of the glitches with the online, which is always a good thing. I'm curious as to what they changed with the AI, but I think it's probably just that lower-level AI won't jump into your Super anymore.

This thread's obviously a bit on the short side, because the patch notes only show a small number of important changes, but I still wanted to cover some of my opinions on the patch nevertheless. I'm still a bit weary of what they did to Sackboy, as they may have pulled a DICE and overfixed something to the point that the thing that was fixed (in DICE's case, guns, in SuperBot's, characters) may be horrible just to stop people from using it at all for a while, let alone abusing it. If this is the case, I definitely expect a Sackboy un-nerf later down the road, just as DICE will always re-fix a gun after its overuse is done. I don't agree with the way DICE does it, so I'm hoping they actually balanced Sackboy rather than temporarily ruining him. (Then again, he was meant to be a support character, so maybe he'll start being played as one in 2v2 when he can't get a lvl3 in less than a minute.)

Anyway, what do you guys think about the patch notes? Any comments or concerns? Be sure to let me know below!

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 1 of 22 (248 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4813 posts

Re: Day 86: Patch

Dec 1, 2012
It's obvious they are using actual statistics to balance and not just complaints, which is good. Hopefully they will continue to make sure it's perfect =D

Message 2 of 22 (235 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2794 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 1, 2012

The only thing I find kind of overkill is that Sackboy's jam time was nerfed to only 10 AP. There's pretty much no reason to use it now. Would of been fine the way it was since his specials got bumped up and the move itself is very slow. I think it would be fine if they bumped that back up to 20 or 25.

Message 3 of 22 (232 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

Dec 1, 2012
I do not think they over-nerfed sackboy, only two attacks were reduced and it was the ones that are easily spamable, players that are good with sackboy (not spamming) will be basically unaffected by this patch. The increase in cost for sackboys supers was needed, especially for his level 3, he should only be able to get one of those in a match.
Message 4 of 22 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4813 posts

Dec 1, 2012
True, jam takes forever to pull out

Message 5 of 22 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
818 posts

Dec 1, 2012
Nice theory on the limiting of characters they attempt to balance.
Kudos.
Message 6 of 22 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

Dec 1, 2012
The thing with jam is that it is much harder to avoid then compared to the cake, it has basically total map coverage and with the fan, it would be unbeatable. 10ap may stop people from using the jam, but it will allow for them to use different moves in the process.
Message 7 of 22 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Dec 1, 2012
My only standing issue post-patch is the Trueskill rank system, but I'm used to bad Trueskill systems. Besides, that's another story for another day.
ecdf9e46
Message 8 of 22 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2794 posts

Dec 1, 2012

miamiheatowns wrote:
The thing with jam is that it is much harder to avoid then compared to the cake, it has basically total map coverage and with the fan, it would be unbeatable. 10ap may stop people from using the jam, but it will allow for them to use different moves in the process.

But the Cakenator, which stayed at 20, can stay in one place and act like a huge mine, if not used again! Plus, it's way faster than Jam time and flies at an upward arc before landing slowly.

Message 9 of 22 (196 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Dec 1, 2012
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention, partially because it's unrelated, is that I kind of want to see people start playing Sackboy the way the lvl5 AI does. I remember how hilariously irritating Sackboy was on the highest difficulty, because he'd use everything at close range, suplexing you just before throwing a cake next to you or whatever. If you haven't tried Sackboy's insane AI, do so soon. It's hilariously irritating and fun.
ecdf9e46
Message 10 of 22 (190 Views)
0 Likes