Nov 29 2012
By: DivinePaladin27 Treasure Hunter 4668 posts

Day 85: Third Party Genuity: To Trust, or Not to Trust

7 replies 125 views Edited Nov 29, 2012

(Kudos to Count Mario for the thread title)

So as you all know by now, Atlus recently joined the group of IP holders that would like to see a rep in PSAS. Well, I have a few issues with this right now (some of you may recognize some of these comments, because a lot of my opinion has already been expressed):

I really have little issue with Atlus' comment, but let's not forget that the game already got some crap for being filled with "advertisement characters," and we've gotten several third parties come from out of the woodwork to say that they were open to adding their characters to this game. I'm also not too sold on Atlus coming out now and saying they want a rep, less than a day after Sony said the game was doing very well. I'm not saying that these companies, specifically Atlus right now, are saying that just for the sake of advertising their own games, but that's what it would look like to outside eyes.

However, if these companies have been genuine so far, that says volumes about third party support for this game in the future, as we'd have between seven and ten third party characters possible for PSAS2 at launch (assuming we get all four of the current ones back, which I doubt because of Namco's deal with Nintendo). The more support this game gets now, the more likely we are to get the big names for the sequel (including first party characters like Wander). As of right now the current support is setting up PSASBR for 30 characters at the end of the DLC cycle, and sets up the sequel to rival Brawl's (and based on Sakurai's comment, SSB4 as well).

I do want to see where this goes as far as publishers giving characters to PSAS. It could go two different ways right now, from what I can tell:
1. PlayStation-relevant IP holders could see that these respected IP holders such as Atlus and Oddworld Inhabitants are willing to give the rights to SuperBot for a character and follow suit, or

2. Random companies could start coming out of the woodwork and asking for random characters unaffiliated with PS (sort of like 2K with Big Daddy, but without an actual reason other than money). In this case, it's up to SuperBot to filter the crap for the sake of preserving the PSAS brand. (After all, people love to take the "All-Stars" series title literally and claim that certain characters aren't All-Stars, even though Link, Samus, Fox, and eighty percent of Brawl's roster are not Smash Brothers.)

One thing that I like is that SuperBot decided to get some important first party characters that they skipped over for DLC before going and trying again at some of the third party characters. I'd like to see them take up Atlus and Oddworld Inhabitants' offers and throw Teddie and Abe into the game, as both characters would make sense to join the cast and they're both owned by good third parties. Perhaps that would gain a few new fans as well as turn some heads from some of the other companies that are less-than-willing to give us Cra-...I mean...characters. Yeah, that's what I meant. Totally...

What do you guys think about the current third party support that SuperBot is gaining as of late? Be sure to make your opinion heard below!

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 1 of 8 (125 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1807 posts

Re: Day 85: Third Party Genuity: To Trust, or Not to Trust

Nov 29, 2012
I hadn't heard this yet. Where did Atlus make this statement? Also, what kind of rep would they provide if this goes through?
Message 2 of 8 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Nov 29, 2012
It was on the PSBlog. I believe the man is the president, or somebody high-up, at Atlus. In the comments of the article he posted about P4 Gold (I think that was what it was for, at least; I really only looked at the comments), somebody asked him about a Persona rep in PSASBR, and he said (paraphrased) "That's up to the developers of ASBR. Let's get a campaign to put Teddie in going."
ecdf9e46
Message 3 of 8 (95 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
977 posts

Nov 29, 2012
I think a lot of them just want to be recognized, even though they aren't strong enough playstation representatives.
Message 4 of 8 (61 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Nov 29, 2012
I agree with your post in general.

Who the hell is Atlus. Some JRPG crap? Put Cloud in the game and maybe that other guy Dart, they all look the same anyway, and that should be enough with the stupid JRPG nonsense.

But if this Teddie whoever is not another generic human like Nathan Hale, i'd rather have Teddie in.

PSASBR should get an MK rep and possibly Street Fighter. It might not be as iconic as certain other franchices but these are by far the most popular fighting games of all time. Also, there will probably never be a game where you can see Sub-Zero fight against Chun Li.

------
Playstation God of War Stars Battle Bore y'all !!!
Message 5 of 8 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Nov 29, 2012
Well, Atlus is pretty beloved by a lot of gamers, with Persona being a fan-favorite series for years, so that's not really the point I was going for.
ecdf9e46
Message 6 of 8 (50 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2105 posts

Nov 29, 2012
I think I know the point you were going for, with less relevant 3rd parties pushing their characters for more recognition.

I cannot say how SuperBot will bend over for these developers.

In the end I want characters that have good gameplay mechanics and different ones.

What's the point of having more of the same jsut because they represent some franchise. Emmett is actually a good choice despite looking boring because his build & battle will play differently.

I feel superBot should only put in characters that somehow offer something new and feel different. This is why I'm against having Nathan Hale or more generic shooters in the game.

Time for some ice clones if you ask me.
------
Playstation God of War Stars Battle Bore y'all !!!
Message 7 of 8 (47 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3716 posts

Nov 29, 2012
you know, i'm all for more chars,
but with Emmett and Kat coming up, i want more unique play styles...
Play For Fun!
Message 8 of 8 (39 Views)
0 Likes