Feb 11 2013
By: DivinePaladin27 Treasure Hunter 4668 posts

Day 8: What's in store

5 replies 266 views Edited Feb 11, 2013

So, with SuperBot gone and Sony Santa Monica in charge under the supervision of Seth Killian, where does Battle Royale go from here?

Up. It goes up.

As much as I respect SuperBot, it's pretty easy to tell that there were a lot of mistakes made due to their lack of experience. I won't address them here, because that's now why I'm making the thread, but I will however address other issues that could be fixed under SSM.

First, as I've noted before, SSM is Sony's HAL. Remember that the first Smash Bros went through a very similar transition from an ad-hoc studio to a more centralized one in HAL Laboratories. This makes me not in the slightest worried about the future of PSAS, because we now know why Sony got a hold of Seth Killian: They wanted him to take over once this deal ended. Seth knows his fighting games, this is undeniable; with him as our Sakurai, we have little to worry about.

Next, the DLC. SSM is much more accredited than SuperBot, simply put. This means that at least a few of the formerly-impossible barriers may be much more feasible now that the third parties know it's in what has proven before to be capable hands. Will I guarantee Crash or Cloud? Hell no, but I won't doubt they get in anymore, either, since Activision or Square Enix might be slightly more willing to give up the rights for less money under a more proven studio.

That said, now it's time for me to predict our next two DLC characters. I personally believe that the guesses have enough logic behind them to make sense, but we'll see how it turns out come March. The next two DLC characters will be: Abe and The King of All Cosmos. Now, Abe I feel is pretty much given for the next DLC, but the other choice is much more rooted in speculation. For all I know it could be Teddie or Dart, but for some nagging, but unknown, reason I have this feeling that our Katamari friend will be up next. I also think that our next stage will have something to do with Kat, Warhawk and/or MediEval, but this is also based purely on a hunch, and I can't confidently say that will be right.

That's about all I have to say. If you've got any predictions about the next set of DLC, be sure to let me know in the comments below! It's been fun, guys. I definitely look forward to doing these again come March/April.

Oh, and for you guys who also have accounts over at the Pastadome, be sure to check over there tomorrow. We've got some pretty big news in store for you guys. Perhaps we'll get a few "WOO!"s or maybe even some "what?"s. Either way, I know it'll turn heads.

Now, I don't wanna spoil anything, so I won't say more than that, and that's the bottom line. Have a nice day!

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 1 of 6 (266 Views)
Fender Bender
2794 posts

Re: Day 8: What's in store

Feb 11, 2013

Well, like I said before... I'm having trouble forming an opinion for SSM.

People here are saying that SSM has poor maintenance on a lot of their games. Apparently, Fat Princess has horrible online, I'm talking, lag, disconnections and stuff like that. Then we have Twisted Metal, which wasn't patched for 6 months and was left broken.

BUT, then we have a lag-free smooth online for God of War: Ascension.

My question is, will they give plenty of attention to PSASBR just as much as they do their top dog? This is one of those great games you can't just leave in the dust. Look at brawl's online! Not that anything could have been down about that, though.

Message 2 of 6 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6400 posts

Feb 11, 2013
Mistakes can be corrected. I think they learned from their past mistakes which is why GOW ascension beta was lag free.
Now I predict Abe and Dart. Why? Well Abe is talked about a lot, and I doubt they canned him. He was also one of Omar's favorite games.
Dart because while I don't really care much about him, he is a first party jrpg rep, which everyone screaming about rpg reps he has a high chance. I feel at least one of the next people will be a rpg rep.

The king will probably be afterwards since Seth Killian wants him in but I feel the next two will be put in beforehand.
Message 3 of 6 (192 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Feb 11, 2013

HELLSAGENT_17 wrote:

Well, like I said before... I'm having trouble forming an opinion for SSM.

People here are saying that SSM has poor maintenance on a lot of their games. Apparently, Fat Princess has horrible online, I'm talking, lag, disconnections and stuff like that. Then we have Twisted Metal, which wasn't patched for 6 months and was left broken.

BUT, then we have a lag-free smooth online for God of War: Ascension.

My question is, will they give plenty of attention to PSASBR just as much as they do their top dog? This is one of those great games you can't just leave in the dust. Look at brawl's online! Not that anything could have been down about that, though.

I think that SSM is more likely to do well with the game because they co-developed it.  I don't believe they even touched Twisted Metal until like a few months in, as well, but I'm not too familiar with that situation.  A lot of the stuff they got was part of Sony's lesser titles, as well; the way Sony treated PSAS shows that it will continue under good supervision IMO, especially since Killian really only makes sense to have even gone to SSM in the first place because Sony wanted a good face behind the PSAS franchise.  (I almost think that SuperBot was never going to be renewed, based on what we've seen.)

ecdf9e46
Message 4 of 6 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3755 posts

Feb 11, 2013
SSM or SB can make this game!

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/SONY-OR-SUPERBOT-PS4-please-read...

Its exactly like PSBR (read the entire thread)

Also divine I think PSBR will do fine because SB was an amateur at creating a WHOLE product, While SSM knows how to make many brilliant games, I only fear that SB keeps giving this game a bad name although I thing the fighting mechanics are good, it is both broken and cheap at the same time.

Also can you make a thread pertaining to my idea above after you read the thread with all it's comments.

Message 5 of 6 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Feb 12, 2013
Well pb, remember that Battle Royale is in almost the exact same boat as SSB64 for many other reasons I didn't mention. It was also a broken, cheap game with good mechanics that got a lot of love (a lot more than PSAS has right now, admittedly, but that could be attributed to the existence of SSB before PSAS that hurt the latter's rep). Then the sequel got a more experienced and commercialized devteam, and is considered one of the best fighting games ever. Now imagine that, under a lead designer that actually likes competitive games.

Also, I'll look into it. I can't promise anything one way or another though because I'm more busy than I used to be (what with moderating the Pastadome and a few other projects).
ecdf9e46
Message 6 of 6 (92 Views)
0 Likes