Sep 12 2012
By: DivinePaladin27 Treasure Hunter 4668 posts

Day 8: Initial Reveal

10 replies 226 views Edited Sep 12, 2012

Since I didn't really get enough of an answer, I'm just going to do as somebody suggested and start at the beginning.  Over the next week, I'll go over how I think each of the reveals were, how they could've done it better, etc.

So here I'll go over the initial reveal of the game.  Let's get this out of the way: It could've been better.  We saw some pretty confusing characters in the first six, and it kind of set an awkward first tone for the game.  I'm speaking of course about Radec and Fat Princess.  Radec never got too much flak, but Fat Princess got so much crap for reasons unknown to me.  She was claimed to be unimportant (even though she pretty much single-handedly made PSN-exclusive titles relevant), and has been attacked on and off since then.  I believe that these reveals could have begun with replacements for Radec and FP and that change alone could've given the game quite a bit more credibility early on.  While I'm sure some characters weren't completed or polished yet, I feel like somebody like Ratchet, Sackboy, Drake, or Cole (among others) could've fit this reveal and really given the "All-Stars" series name a better sense of credibility.  In that same respect, it'd've still gotten the very same crap it got at the start solely because it was the reveal of a game inspired by SSB, so it's not necessarily the characters that really caused the issues.  If anything, I can only really say that those two characters would've been a bit of a **bleep** to reveal later on because they'd be considered wastes at first, no matter where they were shown off.

That being said, the gameplay, at least to me, was solid enough to convince me that those two controversial characters were well crafted and good enough to fit into the initial reveal.  Obviously this reveal has more to it, considering it was our first glimpse at the Super System, the levels, the gameplay, and at the entire game in general.  However, I'm going purely off of the characters and stages that were shown off, to be fair to the other reveals.  This reveal didn't hold the luster that I felt some of the other ones had, so it in many ways set a slow start to the game.  That's not to say that Paul Gale didn't ruin this reveal, becuase he pretty much did; I believe that, had PG not revealed the game prematurely, it could've turned out much better for teh game in the short term, because it'd at least have turned a few more heads.  (Considering practically every reveal has been ruined in some form, this part's a bit of a moot point.  And in the same respect, PG later became pretty much the sole reason this game had any hype at points.)

I'll save each character specifically for another time, but I can say that Kratos, PaRappa, and Sly were the best of the initial six reveals, at least to me.  They all held true to their games (something we hadn't yet come to expect with this game), and while the other three also stayed somewhat true to their games, they didn't feel as complete or even as good as the aforementioned three.  Maybe it was because of Kratos' combos that used many of his weapons from the games, Sly's invisibility that made him feel fully unique from the other reps, and PaRappa's presence in the game at all that did put them as the best of this reveal, but as a whole, all of the characters were just "good."

Overall this reveal was simply just another reveal in the end.  It didn't have any hype surrounding it, for obvious reasons, and character choice could've been much better, although hindsight's 20/20.  SuperBot would get much better with reveals as time went on, but I won't touch on that until the coming days.  If I were to rank the reveals, I think that this one would be sixth on the list.  In fact...

6. Initial reveal

(I should note now that I'm throwing E Cole in the PAX reveal even if he really wasn't.  Had he been revealed a week or more away from the PAX reveals, I probably would've counted it separately.  However, it blends well with the PAX reveal, so deal with it.  If it really affects anybody that much - and I don't think it will - I'll call it the August 26-31 reveals.)

So that's my thread for the day.  As always, comment, let me know, blah blah blah, and don't forget to ask questions for Monday, guys.  Seriously.  I have like one question that I actually think I could even use, and it's from last week.  These things only work well if you guys give feedback, so get to it!

DP out.

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 1 of 11 (226 Views)
Sackboy
498 posts

Re: Day 8: Initial Reveal

Sep 12, 2012

I think it was better to get Fat Princess and Radec out of the way, since they'd get a lot of (unfair) hate if revealed later on. I feel like it was balanced by Kratos, Parappa, Sweet Tooth and Sly. It wasn't a very good reveal because of PG's leak like you said, but it sure let me really hyped.

In my opinion the worst reveal was from EVO, because they're my least favorite characters so far. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate them or anything, I actually like them.

Message 2 of 11 (210 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
977 posts

Sep 12, 2012
What kind of question? What does my question have to be about?
Message 3 of 11 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1540 posts

Sep 12, 2012
im still really glad fat princess is in the game, if you ask me she deserves to be in because her psn title was so popular. and i think they showed off radec to show her versitile the characters are
Message 4 of 11 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Sep 12, 2012

ElevenCarrot11 wrote:
What kind of question? What does my question have to be about?

It can be about anything.  It's essentially just a question (usually a debate topic involving the game) that you'd like to hear my, and the forum's, opinion on.  If you want some reference, yesterdays and last Monday's threads have topics that can lead to a good discussion (which is the whole point to the Monday threads).

ecdf9e46
Message 5 of 11 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3716 posts

Sep 12, 2012

DivinePaladin27 wrote:

Since I didn't really get enough of an answer, I'm just going to do as somebody suggested and start at the beginning. 

was it my suggestion? Smiley Tongue

Play For Fun!
Message 6 of 11 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2011 posts

Sep 12, 2012

Those leaks either helped or hurt the reveals imo, because each reveal brought both excitement (due to a specific character(s)being confirmed), or disappointment (due to a specific character(s) NOT being confirmed). 

To me, the reveals weren't all that big, since those who were following the leaks already had a good idea of who was included in the roster up until about now.

About EVO...lol, tbh I felt that the PASBR showcase was at the wrong spot, but maybe that's just me.

Message 7 of 11 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Sep 12, 2012
I don't think it was the wrong spot, but the wrong time. PSAS didn't have as much of a competitive following then as it seems to have now. Essentially they were showing off a casual game to a hardcore market. The silence told volumes about how little the EVO crowd cared at the time. If EVO were later in the year, or PSAS began hyping up earlier in the year, it may have been better for SuperBot.
ecdf9e46
Message 8 of 11 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2011 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 12, 2012

^I agree somewhat. I still don't know how serious the overall FGC will take this game. I've been looking at SRK coverage, and based on the comments, feedback has been moderately positive. I hope PASBR gets some support from the FGC, since it boasts competitive play.

Message 9 of 11 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Sep 12, 2012
I have a feeling that once it's in action, the FGC will get used to it. I don't recall them being too friendly towards Smash at first either (though I may be wrong about that). I'm sure they'll get used to it in time, and that its stance will grow with them.
ecdf9e46
Message 10 of 11 (110 Views)
0 Likes