Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 18 2012
By: DivinePaladin27 Treasure Hunter 4668 posts

Day 75: Arcade Mode

14 replies 137 views Edited Nov 18, 2012

Wow. Only two of these left.

I don't believe I've ever touched on this, believe it or not. I may have touched on the Story Mode back before we knew what we were in for, but I haven't brought it up since we got the full scoop.

People seem to be angry with the fact that this game doesn't have a true "Story Mode." Well, about that...

You know what other fighting games don't have true story modes? Pretty much every fighting game. And I hate to break it to you, but pretty much every single-player game mode from all of the Smash Bros. games (excluding the polarizing Subspace Emissary) is comparable to the PSAS Arcade Mode, but without any actual semblance of story attached to it. Hell, the original's 1P mode is exactly the same as PSAS's Arcade Mode, but without the unique ladder for each character.

The fact of the matter is, if you were looking for a story mode out of fighting games, your logic was flawed from the start. Pretty much the only fighting games with story modes are the terrible MK spinoff games (well, I liked 'em, but they were awful by most peoples' standards) that appeared in Midway's final years and the most recent game from the most casual-friendly fighting game series on the planet. I'm sure you can guess which game I'm talking about, and for the record I'm not dissing Smash Bros. (it's Smash Bros., if you couldn't guess) by calling it casual-friendly. When we were told that SuperBot was composed of hardcore fighting game fans and that this was, in a generalization, a more hardcore fighting game version of Smash Bros., we should have expected nothing more than, well, something out of a hardcore fighting game. And that doesn't entail a true story mode.

From what I've seen of the Arcade Mode, I like it. There are still a few questions I have left - as to whether it is a concrete ladder or whether each rung's parameters (such as whether it's a 1v1, 2v2, FFA, etc.) is randomized, for example - that I haven't found out based on my admittedly-little experience, but either is honestly fine by me. The Arcade is and pretty much always has been (or since the dawn of consoles, at least) a way to pass time and get used to each character after you've trained with him/her enough. The fact that we get tongue-in-cheek rivalry cutscenes on top of that is great. Hell, the fact that we even get rivalries is great. The Arcade Mode doesn't take itself seriously while still following the usual Arcade Mode guidelines, which is something that I personally enjoy, considering this entire subgenre is something you shouldn't really take seriously from the outset.

How do you guys feel about the Arcade Mode? If you feel it should have a true story mode, get out. Nah, I'm kidding. Make sure to make your voices heard below!

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 15 (137 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1104 posts

Re: Day 75: Arcade Mode

Nov 18, 2012
On release day can you post a thread with links to each of these posts?
This is relevant to my inetrest
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 15 (125 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Nov 18, 2012

ghost_nappa4 wrote:
On release day can you post a thread with links to each of these posts?

Why wait until Tuesday?

ecdf9e46
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 15 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1384 posts

Nov 18, 2012
Im not angry, im just disappointed, because I let my hopes get to high.
[URL=http://s854.photobucket.com/user/princedastankeizon/media/princeofpersiasig_zpsebd22603.png.html][IMG]http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab102/princedastankeizon/princeofpersiasig_zpsebd22603.png[/IMG][/URL]
prince of Persia moveset: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Prince-of-Persia-in-all-stars/m-p/38273897#M125640
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 15 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5278 posts

Nov 18, 2012
talk to a mod and get a thread stickied with all of these linked in it, doubt it will work but might as well try
#ProtectorProgramme
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 15 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
169 posts

Nov 18, 2012

As long as the little cutscenes are all clever/funny I'll be very happy.

I mean I say Kratos v. Sweet Tooth and I really enjoyed watching it. Same with Dante v. Nariko.

I just hope that there are 20 scenes and not only 10. Like I hope if you play as Sweet Tooth you see a different Sweet Tooth v. Kratos cutscene.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 15 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
309 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 18, 2012

Honestly. Im really glad there isn't some goofy or serious story in All Stars. It doesn't need one and we don't need the excellent individual game worlds to be ruined by one. Worse still, we'd have a bigger outcry from people about how horrible a narrative All Stars has if they did try to do a real one. 

I like the idea that All Stars is set in a sort of Hub Multiverse type realm known as Playstation and all these individual IPs move freely within it. Thats all the reason I need to play a game between Cole and Drake. 

Check out my video game blog: http://pixeltrowel.wordpress.com
I don't regurgitate, I provide valuable opinion. Delve into video games with me.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 15 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1384 posts

Nov 18, 2012
On a sidenote I lmao for the reason kratos and sweet tooth fought, it was kind of a stereotype.
[URL=http://s854.photobucket.com/user/princedastankeizon/media/princeofpersiasig_zpsebd22603.png.html][IMG]http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab102/princedastankeizon/princeofpersiasig_zpsebd22603.png[/IMG][/URL]
prince of Persia moveset: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Prince-of-Persia-in-all-stars/m-p/38273897#M125640
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 15 (96 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

Nov 18, 2012

i'm fine with it, but the boss fight on the other hand don't really like it but i can live with it

brillando como el sol con pal de billetes de 1000
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 15 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Nov 18, 2012
Oh, for the record, I'm not working off of much when I spoke about this, as after the R&CvJ&D rivalry cutscene, I felt like I wanted to find out for myself what the others were.

Anyway, I'll go start that thread compendium now.
ecdf9e46
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 15 (79 Views)