Feb 10 2013
By: DivinePaladin27 Treasure Hunter 4668 posts

Day 6: Kat vs. Emmett

6 replies 231 views Edited Feb 10, 2013

As I noted in the Kat matchup thread a few days back, I wasn't going to immediately compare Kat and Emmett. That's because I wanted to save it for its own thread because it's a more speculative, and interesting, subject on its own. And this is that thread.

So on one hand, there are Kat's advantages. She's got really high mobility and some intricate combos to keep Emmett inactive for longer. She can stay in the air for long periods of time if she needs to avoid any grounded attacks that Emmett may have, and this also could prevent her from being juggled as much as other characters could be while facing Emmett. Additionally, has a really good lvl1 and 2 that allow her to potentially dominate in a pure 1v1 matchup.

However, Emmett also has some great counters to some of Kat's advantages, and this is where it gets tough. Though he's much slower than his PSAS rival, Emmett may have a very good range game to counteract Kat's speed. This give him a very potent threat to any Kat trying to get in if the Emmett knows what he's doing. On top of this, he is one of the most anti-air characters in the game, with both his lvl1 and 2 being effective as anti-air attacks on top of his regular moveset. While he may not have as many powerful combos and while he has a very slow startup to most of the plausible combos that I can see, at every step he seems to have something to fight Kat with, while Kat may not have the same amount of choice in gameplay due to her lack of range and status as more of a pure-rushdown character.

So with all of that said, who wins? Well, this is actually tougher than I once thought it'd be. Had I not learned about Kat and Emmett in more detail, I'd say that Kat definitely wins, but right now it's pretty near to a push IMO because of Emmett's versatility and counterbalancing against Kat. If Emmett is as able to hold Kat away as I think he might be, Kat's got her work cut out for her. However, I don't want to give a definitive opinion just yet, because this is where you guys come in. Who do you think wins? And no, this is not a popularity contest, so don't just vote for Kat because you prefer her. Who do you ACTUALLY think wins this matchup, based on what we know about the characters, how they play, and how this makes them stack up against each other? After there are a decent amount of votes (preferably with your logic behind your votes attached in the form of a comment), I will reveal who I think will come out on top. That doesn't mean my opinion is locked, though, by any means! Your comment could be the one that convinces me to lean one way or another, so make your voice heard!

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 1 of 7 (231 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1785 posts

Re: Day 6: Kat vs. Emmett

Feb 10, 2013

It would really come down to which player can manage the situation most plus I'd imagine some stages could work to Emmit's advantage over Kat, Metropolis for example, Emmit could set up a turret on one of the platforms, then he can run over to where Kat is in between Emmit who's at a lower level of the stage and the turret which is on a higher level platform, this could make for some space control situations that can put a lot of pressure on the Kat player, granted the turret shoots very slow but the Kat player is still in danger if she's in it's line of sight and if Emmit is fireing at her she's bound to take a hit from the turret at some point.

When it comes to other levels, at that point it just turns into Sackboy vs. Raiden, Emmit is just going to have to find a way to strategise to get through the situation, I haven't analyzed the movesets all that much but I'm sure Emmit has something that a smart player would be able to use to their advantage.

Message 2 of 7 (216 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6400 posts

Feb 10, 2013
Like ThatOneGuy said, I feel it could turn into a Sackboy vs. Raiden matchup. If both players are good, Emmett could set up his tech easily, while Kat should have no trouble getting in. However, Emmett does have some good keepaway tools, so he could play it safe. Kat on the other hand will probably have little to no trouble getting to Emmett, but the problem is can she stay close to him. I would give this one a 50/50 right now.
Message 3 of 7 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2794 posts

Feb 10, 2013

You know, I hope that Kat's AP gain is somewhat reliant on combos like Dante's is. That would for sure start turning people off! Smiley LOL

I can't really form an opinion here. If I pick Kat, I would be lying, if I pick Emmet, it would be biased because I never like to follow the crowd. But I know what I will do, I'll use and like both just as equally as the rest of the cast. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 7 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1577 posts

Feb 10, 2013
I'd say Kat even though i'm going to play Emmett. Emmett's level 1 is way to slow to attack her,his level 2 "LOOKS" to slow so it might easy to dodge,at most you can only use it on a big crowd of occupied players,and his level three MIGHT be to slow to attack her depending,so assuming he can only get one kill of a GOOD Kat player since his level 3 attacks across the map. Of course this is excluding the hit confirm factor though which we have yet to discover,however do I believe he has a really good use of anti air attacks though,so he's kind of on spar with Kat,but Kat here for me
Click click click click click click click click................... I need to get off the forums.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Signature created by GFXNinja/CyborgHippo
Message 5 of 7 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
487 posts

Feb 10, 2013
Ah. Difficult. I'm going with Kat, however. Why? Just because Kat is mainly a character who stats in the air, doesn't mean she doesn't have some ground-based attacks. She'll likely be able to set Emmett up for some major juggling if sge can get around his powerful guns.

She also has some (probably very weak) projectiles as shown in the trailer. While they probably won't do much damage, they could possibly destroy Emmett's turrets and at least stun him slightly to let her hone in on him. I think it's Kat's speed that will ultimately rival Emmett.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photobucket
Message 6 of 7 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
487 posts

Feb 10, 2013
I meant stays, not stats.

Sorry for the double post, I can't edit on my phone.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photobucket
Message 7 of 7 (87 Views)
0 Likes