Nov 08 2012
By: DivinePaladin27 Treasure Hunter 4668 posts

Day 54 and Day 55: Overpowered and Unbalanced

4 replies 569 views Edited Nov 8, 2012

It’s about that time again, folks. People claimed throughout the Public Beta that certain characters are overpowered, and here I’ll explain why there weren’t any OP characters. This will also be my one and only two-for-one thread, because I can’t feasibly split it without chopping my point up and damaging the effect it should have. Let’s start:

o·ver·pow·ered
(adj.)
1. An easier way of explaining why someone or something keeps defeating a person instead of understanding how to counter it

The term “overpowered” is almost always misused. People seem to think that a character is OP because they specifically are too lazy/stubborn to learn how to overcome that character. Literally every character has been subject to this. Radec can spam, but the block button exists? Nope, OP. Sly can go invisible during a lvl3 but you can use something other than a lvl3? Nope, OP. Sweet Tooth is great at zoning but you can decide not to run to fight him where he wants? Nope, OP. Kratos has side-Square...okay, ALMOST close to OP. However, this is where the more correct term comes into play: Unbalanced.

Say it with me folks: “Unbalanced.”

This game IS unbalanced. Yes, I, renowned PSAS optimist and apologist, said that the game is unbalanced. That’s because NO game is balanced. This game has a lot of moves that SEEM unbalanced. This isn’t necessarily bad news, though, and seeming is not a definite yes to it being unbalanced. Although Sly’s Electric Roll, for example, may seem unbalanced in that it has insane AP gain and no recoil time, when you compound the rest of the Sly character, he does in fact balance. Radec’s insane Sniper gain does balance with his relatively poor close-range play and lack of really any ability beyond zoning. FP’s Summons may seem unbalanced because she can have insane juggles, but considering that’s her entire character and she has nothing else to work for, it balances out. You see the trend, and though I will note now that these aren’t perfect balances by any means and that I’m ignoring certain high-level strategies for some characters, I want to make it clear: The game is about as close to balanced as a first game will ever get. You can complain all you want about Sly being OP - or preferably, unbalanced - but he only had more wins in the Public Beta because people as a whole were so quick to stop putting actual effort into learning WHY they lose and to put blame on the developers for their own laziness/stubbornness. This happened with Radec too, and with Kratos. It’s simply that once strategies are learned to counteract a character, that character falls into line.

Just like every other game ever.

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 1 of 5 (569 Views)
Gaming Beast
1670 posts

Re: Day 54 and Day 55: Overpowered and Unbalanced

Nov 8, 2012

DivinePaladin27 wrote:
Sly can go invisible during a lvl3 but you can use something other than a lvl3? Nope, OP.

I agree with this. As a Sly player in the beta, I learned to always go invisible during Kratos' lvl3 (and occasionally Radec's, which I saw less of) but not once did those Kratos players learn to stop aiming for level 3 all the time. There was even a match where another Sly did the exact same thing as me, to the point where it looked like we were almost working together. It's a perfectly valid Sly tactic and can be foiled by not using level 3s.

Honestly, I never turn invisible any other time, since I prefer to use Sly's speed as his advantage rather than being cheap and hiding, so you're probably more likely to catch me with a sudden tactical use of a level 1 or 2. And yet no one seemed to be able to figure this out, except a few good players I caught myself facing once or twice.

And as for Radec's sniper, I'm sure I made a few Radec players hate Sly if they abused that move, since Sly's decoy counter is a perfect way to stop it; it interrupts the sniper rifle, it stuns Radec, it teleports Sly over to him so I can whack him with my cane a few times. So no, the sniper rifle doesn't make Radec overpowered since I've learned to deal with him Smiley Tongue

I make PS All-Stars History videos, yo!
Current vid: Franzea (stage)
Message 2 of 5 (547 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
722 posts

Nov 8, 2012
I learned how to counter Kratos pretty well but am still of the belief that some minor adjustments need to be made. The side square move that has been the subject of so much debate can be left in but the AP gain needs to be nerfed then.

Parappas boom box was heavily nerfed after the first beta, maybe too much, there is still some good strategy with it but no one spams it too heavily now.
Message 3 of 5 (538 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7973 posts

Nov 8, 2012
It's not that difficult to find an invisible Sly. Of course, being a Sly main I know what to look for. I still get caught during a Kratos Lv. 3 from time to time, just because of that darn homing circle attack.

And I don't think it's fair to call the game unbalanced yet. Was the beta unbalanced? Maybe. In my personal experience, a lot of the losses and cheap tactics in the beta could be chalked up to inexperience. Late in the beta, I was seeing some fantastic PaRappa, Sweet Tooth, and Fat Princess players wipe the floor with spamming Kratos and Radecs.

With very few of us having actually played the final product, any declaration of balance issues seems premature.

Currently Playing: Star Wars Battlefront, Heroes of the Storm
Twitch|Twitter|YouTube|Instagram
Message 4 of 5 (534 Views)
Highlighted
Gaming Beast
1670 posts

Nov 8, 2012

Weidleface wrote:
It's not that difficult to find an invisible Sly. Of course, being a Sly main I know what to look for. I still get caught during a Kratos Lv. 3 from time to time, just because of that darn homing circle attack.

Same here. There are a few things that give away Sly's position. He's not fully invisible, he's more like 10% opacity, so it's still possible to see his outline just about (probably easier in 1v1). He also still leaves the usual dust trails when he walks or jumps, so that's a clue too. Which is why I've been caught by some good Kratos players. One Kratos player actually managed to follow my dust trails to stalk me and kill me, which I was genuinely impressed by. And of course, there is the homing attack Smiley Tongue

I make PS All-Stars History videos, yo!
Current vid: Franzea (stage)
Message 5 of 5 (528 Views)
0 Likes