Highlighted
Feb 09 2013
By: DivinePaladin27 Treasure Hunter 4668 posts

Day 5: Emmett's Matchups

10 replies 244 views Edited Feb 9, 2013

So today, as I said I would, I will discuss my predictions for how Emmett will match up against the current cast. Emmett's was definitely tougher than Kat's by a long shot, which is why it took me two days to get done. (Also, for the record, I haven't slept yet, and going by my previous rule of these days representing my waking days, I'm still on-track. Tomorrow I have absolutely nothing in store so barring a power outage I plan on having that one up by 6 PM EST.)

Kratos: Kratos is pretty ineffective against range in 1v1, so I think that Emmett at range would fare well against him in this matchup. However, what we know about Emmett also dictates that he's pretty close to Sweet Tooth in many ways (Slayer, eat your heart out!), which means that his closer-ranged gameplay could screw him over much like it does to Tooth. This matchup really to me is pretty even based on how little we know about Emmett's full moveset compared to Kat's. I don't want to give a definitive score for this matchup, so I'm going to stick with a push.

PaRappa: I think that PaRappa fares pretty well against Emmett, because Emmett's startup on most of his attacks are so slow compared to PaRappa's relatively nonexistent startup. Because of this and how PaRappa can follow up on one quick hit, I'd say it's -2 for Emmett here.

Fat Princess: FP is hell for pretty much any character in the current 20, and I don't think this will be different. -4 for him unless Emmett can figure out how to do anything anti-air (which is definitely possible considering his anti-air Super capabilities).

Sweet Tooth: Wow, this is kind of as close to a mirror match as I think we'll get barring GCole v. ECole. I think that Emmett's startup time on attacks fully determines the matchup. If most of them are as slow as the few we've seen seem to hint at, then Tooth has the matchup in a purely close-ranged fight. But Emmett also has several ranges so that he could accommodate this well by possibly doing some zoning. I'll say +1 Emmett.

Radec: Radec is still the worst 1v1 character to me, so I can't think of a definitive way for him to beat Emmett here. I'll say +1 minimum for Emmett purely based on that alone.

Sly: Sly's speed could really punish Emmett in this matchup, but Sly's also still very bad in 1v1 as well. His counter's nowhere near as effective in 1v1, and his lack of a block (and thus roll) makes for many more Sly-exclusive confirms that Sly cannot evade. I'll say +2 Emmett.

Drake: Drake gives Sweet Tooth some hell, from what I've seen, and I can't see Emmett's slow-moving range attack helping that too much. -3 for Emmett here.

GCole: GCole's mobility really damages Emmett here, because it'll be so hard for Emmett to set up any combos he may have. Emmett simply can't get many hits in against Cole, IMO, so I can't see this turning out well for Emmett. However, Emmett's good against air characters as far as his Supers go, so I think that this could REALLY help him out in a pinch. Regardless, though, I'll say -1 as the best Emmett can do overall.

ECole: As I said about GCole, his mobility is almost bar none. ECole has a better matchup because ECole is simply better in 1v1 than his heroic counterpart. More confirms, easier AP gain, and more violent attacks give it a -2 for Emmett at his very best.

R&C: Emmett's range simply does not match Ratchet's range game. Emmett has the equivalent to Ratchet's sniper attack, but it's so slow that cannot be all that effective at 1v1 ranged fighting, something Emmett NEEDS to be effective against Ratchet on most maps. I'd say -2.

J&D: Jak's mobility doesn't make up for his lack of the effective range game that Ratchet has right here, because the fact that he can get in does not help the fact that he has to fight more at closer range, giving Emmett a chance to fight back with his different attacks. This one is more determined on how Emmett places than on preliminary observations, for me, but I think Jak could have the advantage here. I'll say -1, but I wouldn't be shocked if Emmett has strategies that make this a 0 or higher.

Big Daddy: I can't see Big Daddy doing all that well against Emmett, assuming Emmett can keep range. Of course, if he does, there's a problem for Emmett. A big problem. Pardon the pun. Anyway, I feel like Emmett could do well against Big Daddy at range, but a good Big Daddy could most definitely negate my prediction entirely. +2 Emmett.

Dante: Dante's so quick to get in that I think this could definitely be a bad matchup for Emmett. Yes, Graves has the ability to destroy Dante at range, if he gets the chance, but I'm not entirely sure he can maintain that successfully. Perhaps if he uses his turret as a trap as well as gaining AP with his boombox equivalent and maintaining a defensive stance, he could do very well, but I think Dante could find a way around it. However, again, I'm not 100% sure of what Emmett's capable of, especially compared to what I know of Kat, so Emmett could have a trick up his sleeve. I'll say 0, but it's leaning Dante's way.

Heihachi: If Emmett can hold range as decently as I think he can, Emmett wins this one with a +3 any day of the week.

Nariko: Nariko could do some good damage to Emmett, but she's gotta go for a lvl3 most of the time in 1v1, playing to Omar's high-risk/high-reward comments. If Emmett can hold his own against her, and I'm not sure he can considering her good ranged attacks and ability to get in, he'd win pretty handily. But as I said, I'm not sure he can. I'll say +1 Emmett but this could really go both ways.

Raiden: Raiden's speed is nothing if he can't get in to get his attacks off, as Ratchet has shown him often in 1v1. However, Mr. Graves is not Ratchet by any means. I think that he can do well if he plays this like a more defensive Sweet Tooth, making sure that any time Raiden tries to get in he is knocked as far away as possible. +2 Emmett, but I feel like that's a bit high depending on how Emmett plays.

Sackboy: Sackboy's hit-and-run style is a killer to a lot of characters, and I think Emmett is no exception. There's not much to say here but it's -2 for Graves against Sackboy.

Dan: Dan's poor Super set kills him in this matchup. Otherwise I could see him doing fairly well, because of his shield and abilities, but Emmett has perhaps THE best Super set in the game, and with his multiple paths of effectiveness, I say Emmett wins this one +2.

Spike: Spike's attacks seem tougher to pull off against Emmett than the contrary, but then again I've seen a lot of really airborne Spikes out there. This goes back to Emmett not having any known anti-air effectiveness outside of perhaps his Supers. Then again, that's all you need, right? I'll call it a push for now because I'm honestly not sure.

Toro: If Emmett can maintain his distance he's got a chance here, but as a Toro I know of many ways that he can get in and/or gain AP. While that certainly doesn't help the validity of this speculation admitting that, it does give me a bit of insight on how tough it is to keep Toro away 100%. I'd say this is a -1 for Emmett if he has decent ways to hold Toro back, but it goes wildly in either direction if it's better or worse than decent.

This one was clearly not in Emmett's favor compared to Kat's, but I chalk that up to my current inability to see Emmett's stances fully, their nuances, and how they can stack up. In reality, Emmett is the DLC character that's most like a current one, but for some reason I find it tougher to definitively decide how I think how he'll line up against the others. Once he comes out we'll see if he does do as well as I do think he will (something that this matchup list definitely does not shine in too favorable a light). But what do you guys think? Let me know below!

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 1 of 11 (244 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
280 posts

Re: Day 5: Emmett's Matchups

Feb 9, 2013

DivinePaladin27 wrote:

Kratos: Kratos is pretty ineffective against range in 1v1.

Sly: His counter's nowhere near as effective in 1v1, and his lack of a block (and thus roll) makes for many more Sly-exclusive confirms that Sly cannot evade. I'll say +2 Emmett.

R&C: Emmett's range simply does not match Ratchet's range game. Emmett has the equivalent to Ratchet's sniper attack, but it's so slow that cannot be all that effective at 1v1 ranged fighting, something Emmett NEEDS to be effective against Ratchet on most maps. I'd say -2.

Kratos is ineffective against ranged? Had no idea.
Sly exclusive confirms? What are you talking about? Also, his teleport is better than rolling, in almost every way. Not sure if I agree with you giving an advantage to Emmet, but I guess we will see.
I agree, Ratchet has the advantage (imo) with superior range attacks.
Message 2 of 11 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Feb 9, 2013
Kratos cannot do anything against a good ranged character, but I'm not sure if Emmett has enough effective range to help that.

Also, by Sly exclusive confirms, I can only explain it with an example. Toro's justice stance base Triangle is not a confirm against any other character, but it's almost definitely one against Sly, because it's difficult for a Sly to react and teleport out of the way in time as compared to the instinctive roll reaction (that he doesn't have). A lot of setups work more against a Sly because of his lack of block, unless a player has ONLY played Sly and has no experience with that twitch reaction; that's why I said Emmett might have some that would give him some easier kills that aren't expected. I don't know if that makes sense, but it is pretty common to see Slys that aren't good at dodging that kind of thing; I've only ever seen one who dodged a Sly-exclusive setup (setup is the better term but since it's SO rare to get out of, I call it a confirm), and even then I'm not sure the setup was executed properly.
ecdf9e46
Message 3 of 11 (198 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2794 posts

Feb 9, 2013

I think any Emmet can be better than all characters in the game if they get to know their character, unlike the 1 time user whiners. Heihachi and Dan, anyone?

Message 4 of 11 (198 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Feb 9, 2013
Oh, I completely agree with that. I've said many times that he's got a high ceiling (much like Tooth, if I may insert just one more of those comparisons that I love so much). But some weaknesses aren't as easy to overcome as others. Against certain characters with good range games, I can't see any Emmett being that effective because of his pure limitations. This is a speculative matchup for the common Emmett, though, because I'm honestly not sure (or necessarily comfortable with) what the very best Emmetts will be capable of.
ecdf9e46
Message 5 of 11 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4137 posts

Feb 9, 2013

I have to say, the fasters are going to have a hell of a challenge on them. Any emmet who knows match ups will instantly call down the shotgun loadout and use that to keep them out.

#Reapers
Message 6 of 11 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2388 posts

Feb 9, 2013
We have to take into account that he has to constantly reload his guns. if he gets driven away from the bunker than he'll have a tough time fighting back in certain situations.
Message 7 of 11 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6400 posts

Feb 9, 2013

Well I think any zoner can beat Dante, so Emmet wouldn't be an exception. I feel that we know less about Emmett than any other character, so I'll wait on further judgement. No one even says anything on whether or now he has burst combos or not.

Message 8 of 11 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
280 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 9, 2013

DivinePaladin27 wrote:
Kratos cannot do anything against a good ranged character, but I'm not sure if Emmett has enough effective range to help that.

Also, by Sly exclusive confirms, I can only explain it with an example. Toro's justice stance base Triangle is not a confirm against any other character, but it's almost definitely one against Sly, because it's difficult for a Sly to react and teleport out of the way in time as compared to the instinctive roll reaction (that he doesn't have).

Which ranged characters are good against Kratos? I'm having a hard time against any good kratos as Ratchet.

Why call it an exclusive confirm when you can avoid it with teleport?

Message 9 of 11 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2388 posts

Feb 9, 2013
I find facing the melee based characters easy as Ratchet, Kratos is no exception. He may have a bit more range than other melee characters but Ratchet can still land hits from outside of it. U just have to read which move hes gonna pull out and react accordingly.
Message 10 of 11 (94 Views)
0 Likes