Oct 08 2012
By: DivinePaladin27 Treasure Hunter 4668 posts

Day 34: What No More Reveals Means for Us

[ Edited ]
5 replies 193 views Edited Oct 8, 2012

I've been really bad at keeping these things on time lately, but I'm going to try to mend that and get back on track. I've been thinking though, what does 20 characters really mean?

It means hype.

You wouldn't think that, given the recent outpouring of concern about this game's hype, it would be at more danger than ever of dropping. However, I'd argue that. It seems that slowly, this game is garnering more mainstream attention as time goes on, even without the hope of more characters within just the forum community. Shortly after the announcement that there are no more characters, GamesRadar called the roster totally awesome. They follow up by pointing out a bunch of things that they really like about this game, including the stages, costumes, Supers, and even DLC. On top of that, the game seems to be losing its negative reputation as a Smash clone in the eyes of many reviewers. With more people beginning to look at it at least neutrally, the hype has to be going up on its own, right?

Now if there are only 20 characters, SuperBot can move on and begin talking about the other selling points of the game. Characters won't convince people that this game is or isn't a Smash clone; the other stuff will. SuperBot has already started revealing more about the other things in the past few days than they had in the past few months, combined; we've also seen a small amount of the other game modes, namely Reverse Stock, for the first time, which also could mean they're getting ready to unveil more in this area as well. If people begin seeing what the story mode, challenges, and such shape up to be, and see what this game has to offer besides Timed Mode with 20 characters, the hype's going to rise for the more appropriate reasons, not just because one character is confirmed.

I've personally cared more about the smaller things than the roster itself ever since I've seen the beta leak revealed some of the stuff that we've yet to see. The more we see of that, the more this game will be reported on. Let's face it: Many websites won't report on this game if Crash is confirmed, because that just seems like an obvious thing. However, when smaller things are revealed, it seems like these same people begin looking at this game more. And if sites are reporting it, people are seeing it; if people are seeing it, people are giving it a shot; and if people are giving it a shot, this game's getting more of a chance, and more of a profit, than it would if that one character is revealed.

Just some food for thought.

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 1 of 6 (193 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1693 posts

Re: Day 34: What No More Reveals Means for Us

Oct 8, 2012
Wall of text, at least insert some pics here and there
ppl have no patience on active forums
"Say Pam, ever hung from a ceiling fan while your partner sat on a paint mixer"
 photo lordvv-1.gifVegeta GIF photo vegeta.gif
Message 2 of 6 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Oct 8, 2012

arrownoir wrote:
Wall of text, at least insert some pics here and there
ppl have no patience on active forums

I've gone through 34 days of this and people have willingly read them so far, so your patience comment's a bit null.  And this is a short one.

ecdf9e46
Message 3 of 6 (148 Views)
Wastelander
625 posts

Oct 9, 2012

The reason why people see this game as a SSB clone is because on the outside, it looks like one. The only things that are different are the characters fighting, KO system, and probably the stages. No one looks beyond that at first glance. As more and more people start learning more about the game as it nears it's release date, they'll learn about the modes, stories, rivals, and small unlockables from playing that are in the game. They would start to become interested in all the other little things that are presented but overshadowed by characters. I got more interested when they revealed that each character has a story because suddenly, the game got bigger. 

Message 4 of 6 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4813 posts

Oct 9, 2012
Looking forward to the game modes most. I really want to see some stock game play and I think we might soon

Message 5 of 6 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Oct 9, 2012

PandaPudding wrote:

The reason why people see this game as a SSB clone is because on the outside, it looks like one. The only things that are different are the characters fighting, KO system, and probably the stages. No one looks beyond that at first glance. As more and more people start learning more about the game as it nears it's release date, they'll learn about the modes, stories, rivals, and small unlockables from playing that are in the game. They would start to become interested in all the other little things that are presented but overshadowed by characters. I got more interested when they revealed that each character has a story because suddenly, the game got bigger. 

That's a good point, but I feel like this game will be defined to non-Sony fans (casual gamers, reviewers, and the like) by its gameplay, not the characters.  The Sony fans are for the most part going to get this game regardless of the characters represented, so this game's success really, at least in my eyes, rides on its impression to those people that would get it because of what it has besides just characters.

ecdf9e46
Message 6 of 6 (98 Views)
0 Likes