Highlighted
Oct 08 2012
By: DivinePaladin27 Treasure Hunter 4668 posts

Day 33: DLC

11 replies 294 views Edited Oct 8, 2012

Now that the roster is seemingly locked at 20, now's as good a time as ever to talk about DLC. Well, at least as good a time as ever before the game launches and I end this daily thread thing.

Well, first, I believe that DLC would be reasonably priced at $3 per character. my reasoning is simple: That's what we're paying for right now. Simple math will tell you that $60 / 20 characters = $3 per character. With that $3, we likely should see a lot of the extras that come with each character, such as the extra costumes, belts, unlocks, story mode, trials, etc., and hopefully a rivalry. In this admittedly-hopeful scenario, packs of two characters could be sold for $5-6 and both SuperBot and the players benefit from it.

Now characters aren't necessarily the only thing that could work as DLC. Stages could also be added into the game. I'm not sure what price would be acceptable for stages, honestly, so I won't even touch that. Maybe they'd just be thrown into a character pack for that extra dollar to make it $6. Hell, they could even add gametypes into the equation, if they wanted to make things interesting; however, I feel like things like actual costumes as a separate DLC takes it a bit too far into the money-grubbing territory.

Now, this wasn't initially going to be part of my thread, but I feel like it's relevant to the topic. Some people have been complaining that DLC is just a ruse for money, and that no matter what DLC is a rip-off. I personally resent this mindset, because DLC is in many cases more of a convenience than a hindrance to gamers. While some companies take advantage of the concept, it's not right to assume every company does it, and getting mad over stuff that you don't have to buy is pretty funny to think about as well. Yes, we're paying extra for content that very well could fit on disc, but we're also not waiting extra time for the game to come out. I'd personally rather have a game - any game, not just PSAS - sooner and then pay for the extra, less important, or optional content later. I'd rather not have waited six months for BF3 to come out, for example, even if they added the first two map packs onto the full game. Not to mention that those map packs (or character packs, in PSAS's case) are meant to extend the life of the game beyond its release. Yes, I could feasibly wait a few months for them to boost up the roster, but what's the point of that if I'm already waiting an extra month for the base game anyway?

Anyway, that's all I've got on the subject for now. Be sure to ask questions or recommend a subject for tomorrow's Weekly thread, because I sure as hell have no clue what I'm planning yet. And as always, let me know what you guys think about the subject of DLC.

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 1 of 12 (294 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
764 posts

Re: Day 33: DLC

[ Edited ]
Oct 8, 2012

Its not $3 per character. You have to take into account that we are also paying for stages, music, costumes, the disc itself, and the plastic case. Its more like $.50 - $1.50 per character.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."
Message 2 of 12 (273 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Oct 8, 2012

Xx_AngeLoNe_xX wrote:

Its not $3 per character. You have to take into account that we are also paying for stages, music, Costumes, the disc itself, and the plastic case. Its more like $.50 - $1.50 per character.

It's a relative example, nothing that's meant to be taken as an actual price for each character's value in the final game.

ecdf9e46
Message 3 of 12 (266 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4813 posts

Oct 8, 2012
I would definitely support this game as long as SuperBot supported it. I'd buy all the characters they put as dlc.

Message 4 of 12 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5278 posts

Oct 8, 2012

as much as I like your idea of 3 dollars per character, I have bought extra characters in past fighting games and in every one the character was 5 dollars so when they release more characters I am expecting five bucks, all I hope is that they incorporate a new story mode for new characters and not just the character itself. I love DLC when it is done rite, I can't stand trivial things and some companies scandalas ways of DLC, cough capcom. I can't judge how superbot will work on DLC since they are new but I am expecting what I have seen from companies in the past.

#ProtectorProgramme
Message 5 of 12 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
521 posts

Oct 8, 2012

I think that the perfect DLC would be:

$10

Have 2 characters

A stage to mix both of those character's universe up

A 3 alternate looks for the character

Storylines for each character, albeit much shorter then the 20 launch characters stories

Some extra trophies

It is a stretch, but honestly this seems like a reasonable price point.

Message 6 of 12 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1921 posts

Oct 8, 2012
Yeah well as long as each character has a story mode and the pricing isnt high ill be good.
Message 7 of 12 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
712 posts

Oct 8, 2012

If we take into account all the content we can get just from 2 characters (each with an arcade mode and set of challenges), and 1 or 2 stages (all with mashups and music), 5 dollars does seem reasonable enough. We can pretty much expect DLC anyway, the game seems barely finished due to time constraints. For those wondering, Smash Bros games never go as planned either:

http://didyouknowgaming.com/post/32009579655/super-smash-bros-melee

Message 8 of 12 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
759 posts

Oct 8, 2012
I would actually pay 5 for characters. I'm a big fan of challenges and trial modes. To have that included along with extra costumes and a story mode warrants more the 3 dollars in my opinion.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us--- The Colossal King
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us--- The Gravity Queen
Message 9 of 12 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Oct 8, 2012
It definitely all comes down to context with the DLC. I'm not sure what I'd be willing to pay maximum, so I want to see what they're going to charge for what and see if I'm alright with it.
ecdf9e46
Message 10 of 12 (135 Views)
0 Likes