Oct 01 2012
By: DivinePaladin27 Treasure Hunter 4668 posts

Day 26: What is a Launch Character?

15 replies 322 views Edited Oct 1, 2012

I figure this is appropriate, given the past few days. It would've been more appropriate had I done it on the 26th day, so it'd've still been on time, but that's neither here nor there.

So what is a "launch character," anyway? The simple answer is that we don't know. I could end my thread here, but I'm not going to. What could a launch character be? There are a few theories that stand out in my mind:

First, it could mean that these 20 "final launch characters" are the last reveals we'll get, and that the last few are hidden. That'd mean that only these characters would get preorder costumes that we know of, and that this game has a lot of hype left to gain somehow. Estimated possibility: 25%

This next one is a mutation of the previous one. Maybe these are the last characters that are unlocked at launch. We may get reveals of big characters if there are any left, only to gain some quick hype before the game comes out, or to pacify fans. However, these guys will not be unlocked at launch, but instead the players will have to work for them. Estimated possibility: 40%, simply because it's hard to believe they'd reveal eight characters at two shows (I'm counting ECole as PAX because it was the same week) if those are the last eight, and it seems more likely that they would announce the huge characters even if they're hidden.

Number three, the dreaded one. This is all we get, PG's a fraud, and theMink was correct. There are "only" 20 characters in this game, and none of the big nine are in the final game. Anything else is post-game DLC. I don't believe it's this one, only because of the context of the past few months. It'd be odd to reveal the last characters months before the game launches; it'd be more odd to have two different four-character reveals and have nothing left to hold people over for the last few months; and it'd be even more odd that they even delayed the game an entire month when it's seemingly so close to being done already, unless there are characters left. A lot of the recent info, like the story that PG was bribed, just seems to be so far-fetched and nearly impossible to believe, so when added together, this would seem like the least likely scenario. However, I'm not going to designate a percent chance for this scenario yet, because we may find out for sure in the coming days/weeks. If not for the stories we've gotten from random people on the internet with alleged sources, this is 35+%, if that means anything.

Possibility 4: The Vita version is behind in development, and they don't want to delay the entire game even more, so they're working on characters and adding them in as free DLC, rather than risking not finishing them in time for the release. I don't necessarily think this is all that likely, only because of the concept of free DLC. Maybe I'd believe it to be more likely if it were tied to the inevitable online pass, I could believe it, or if there were a voucher that only came with new copies of the game. The possibility of this being it, to me, is 25+%.

(Anybody astute may notice that this comes out to 125% total. That's because I'm counting the initial option as part of the second one, since the latter is an addition to the former's idea. That makes 40% + 35% + 25%, which does equal 100%. I also added "+"s to the other two options, to account for the possibility that the second option isn't correct.)

To me, the term "launch character" just seems so vague and so specific at the same time that there's definitely, 100%, some meaning behind it. I feel like if this was the final roster, they'd've flat-out said that this is the final in-game roster. But "launch" was specified.

Anyway, what do you guys think about this topic? What do you call a "launch character?" Let me know below, and keep the discussion going!

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 1 of 16 (322 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
519 posts

Re: Day 26: What is a Launch Character?

Oct 1, 2012

Join my tournament!
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Tag-Team-Takedown-Tournament/m-p/37621483#M18186
Message 2 of 16 (309 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1179 posts

Oct 1, 2012
Characters available at launch. Whats so hard to understand?
Message 3 of 16 (294 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Oct 1, 2012

Gekidami wrote:
Characters available at launch. Whats so hard to understand?

Well, some think that means that these are the only characters in the game, and others think that this means that these are the only characters that are unlocked (and thus available immediately) at launch.  That's been the source of a lot of confusion lately.

ecdf9e46
Message 4 of 16 (282 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1179 posts

Oct 1, 2012
Well the games community manager has already said that there are no unlockable characters, so thats that.
Message 5 of 16 (265 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4813 posts

Oct 1, 2012
wow, did you even read the OP?

anyways, there's also one more option that someone brought up (I personally doubt it but I guess it's possible) that they are jjust saying that so when they announce a new character hype levels will explode since we aren't expecting it for once.

Message 6 of 16 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
519 posts

Oct 1, 2012
^yea to trick and surprise people
Join my tournament!
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-All-Stars-Battle/Tag-Team-Takedown-Tournament/m-p/37621483#M18186
Message 7 of 16 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Oct 1, 2012

Gekidami wrote:
Well the games community manager has already said that there are no unlockable characters, so thats that.

The community manager also called the MAWLR a Metal Gear.

ecdf9e46
Message 8 of 16 (170 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1273 posts

Oct 1, 2012

DivinePaladin27 wrote:

Gekidami wrote:

Wasn't he the one that thought Nathan Drake and Nathen Hale were the same?

"I'm watching you in the shadows........nah im right next to ya"
Message 9 of 16 (161 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Oct 1, 2012

n0rmal94 wrote:

DivinePaladin27 wrote:

Gekidami wrote:

Wasn't he the one that thought Nathan Drake and Nathen Hale were the same?

I don't recall that one off-hand, though you very well could be correct.

Although I forgot to note one thing: The community manager said that all of the characters would be unlocked from the start, but then in that very same post hinted at unlockable hidden characters.  So we really don't have any flat-out proof that everybody's unlockable.

ecdf9e46
Message 10 of 16 (153 Views)
0 Likes