Oct 06 2012
By: Chrono-Cactaur Hekseville Citizen 325 posts

Day 2: PlayStation All-Stars + Superbot = Mixed Bag

31 replies 392 views Edited Oct 6, 2012

As I'm sure most of you know(and some deny) the fact that Crash was deconfirmed in the EB Expo stream by Omar Kendall.

If you've been following this game, I guess it shouldn't come as much of a surprise... yet, why do I feel like this was the biggest character omission?

Take a look at the front page for this game's website, you'll notice that there's a comment section that asks what characters you'd like to see in this game; Tell me, what is the name that pops up the most?

That's right, Crash Bandicoot. You'd be hard pressed to find a comment in their that mentions someone other than the marsupial. It's accepted that he is the most requested character for this game... yet, Superbot could not get him in.

Normally, this MAY have been acceptable... but when you look at who Superbot did eventually decide on... it really becomes a case of insult to injury. Not only do we as PlayStation fans have to accept that our most requested character was omitted, but that in his place they added characters that amount to little more than ad space.

It does make you wonder... why didn't Sony trust an IP of this calibur to a veteran studio? Why make a new studio for something like this, knowing that they can either make this game the game that fans have desired since the 20th century, or botch it to the point that it becomes one of the most disappointing games of the 21st century.

I think, in the end, if this game was developed by anyone other than Superbot, the game could have turned out much better than it did. Seriously, over 3 years of development, and we get less characters than a game that came out in 2001, on the Nintendo Gamecube no less.

Of course, upon reading that last statement you're going to assume that this game shouldn't be compared to Smash Bros... and I have to ask, why not? PlayStation All-Stars IS the Smash Bros. of PlayStation, so why can't we compare the character choices? The answer is that we can, and will.

This game was also largely mishandled in terms of advertising and such. The beta leak wasen't even the problem, it was the way Superbot handled it. At the time the leak occured, they had time to add a few more characters, and the president himself even said that "It wasen't representative of the final roster", which we now know to be total BS, and we all feel bad for believing in PR lies. Paul Gale did a great job of letting the fans know that this game was being made, and was in existence, but due to some mis-communication going on after the leak, well... I'm sure we all know the direction in which Gale headed.

In conclusion, PlayStation All-Stars is a disappointment because it had potential that was ultimately squashed by an amateur developer who doesn't grasp what a game like this needs to be a success.

Message 1 of 32 (392 Views)
Fender Bender
3150 posts

Omar said that the team wants Crash. That the fans want C...

[ Edited ]
Oct 6, 2012

Omar said that the team wants Crash. That the fans want Crash. The thing that's stopping them is Activision. And this game has a lot more going for it than just a roster. I seriously don't understand why this is so hard to grasp for people.

Message 2 of 32 (381 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
325 posts

Re: Omar said that the team wants Crash. That the fans want C...

Oct 6, 2012

VinylSolution wrote:

Omar said that the team wants Crash. That the fans want Crash. The thing that's stopping them is Activision. And this game has a lot more going for it than just a roster. I seriously don't understand why this is so hard to grasp for people.

It could be the best fighting game in the world, but if the game doesn't have a character that someone wants to play as, then they won't play it. Some people want to play a game because it's fun, not because it's a novelty.

Message 3 of 32 (372 Views)
Fender Bender
3150 posts

Oct 6, 2012
And you've got 20 to choose from. Brand recognition is important, but gameplay is even more important.
Message 4 of 32 (359 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
377 posts

Re: Day 2: PlayStation All-Stars + Superbot = Mixed Bag

Oct 6, 2012
I don't understand why you keep posting Chrono. I really wish your trolling would be banned.
Message 5 of 32 (356 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Oct 6, 2012
How is he trolling?
What he's saying is true. Game was a huge appointment to many people.
Message 6 of 32 (347 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3716 posts

Oct 6, 2012

games are meant to be fun, regardless of content....

Play For Fun!
Message 7 of 32 (342 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3150 posts

It's a huge appointment to me. I've got it on my calendar...

Oct 6, 2012

BkzUzi wrote:
How is he trolling?
What he's saying is true. Game was a huge appointment to many people.

It's a huge appointment to me. I've got it on my calendar! November 19th, 11 PM!

Message 8 of 32 (334 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1670 posts

Oct 6, 2012

The requests on Facebook were more a place for discussion than anything else. The game's been in development for 2-3 years, character choices were likely decided way before that Facebook page.

Why isn't Crash in? Activision said no. That's pretty much the impression I got from Omar's answer to Crash. He clearly stated that Superbot recognise the fan demand and realise the character's importance, but "it takes two to tango", which means Activision turned down the request. It's Activision, this shouldn't be a surprise. Don't even say "they could have shown them the fan demand", because, well, when's the last time Activision listened to fan demand?

Who did they decide on? Most of Sony's major IPs, actually. The only stark omissions I can see are a Team Ico rep and a Resistance character (especially with stages and items in the game). Many characters who made it in are just as deserving as Crash, if not more so, and I am baffled as to how some people can't see this. So no, the alternatives are not a disappointment.

Superbot may be a new studio, but everyone who works for them is a veteran. They've all got extensive backgrounds in fighting games and were hand-picked because of this. If they were an upstart indie dev with little experience, your point would be valid, but this is really not the case.

Comparing this to Smash Bros, the original Smash had 12 characters. And no, "a Blu-Ray disc is bigger than an N64 cartridge" is not an argument. With a new fighting game, they are developing the engine, the mechanics and other basics alongside characters. Putting in more characters drags the dev time for basic mechanics down. A sequel can have more characters because the basic mechanics are already in place. Why don't people understand this?

Superbot aren't in control of their advertising, Sony's PR team is. So an "amateur developer" isn't the problem with the promotion of the game.

Remind me again why this game is a disappointment.

I make PS All-Stars History videos, yo!
Current vid: Franzea (stage)
Message 9 of 32 (333 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
325 posts

Oct 6, 2012

VinylSolution wrote:
And you've got 20 to choose from. Brand recognition is important, but gameplay is even more important.

What happens if none of those 20 characters were wanted by the particular fan? Yes, some people are restrictive about their tastes, and to a large number of people it was characters like Crash Bandicoot and Cloud Strife that would have been the straw that would have gotten them to buy the game.

Message 10 of 32 (326 Views)
0 Likes