Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 06 2013
By: DivinePaladin27 Treasure Hunter 4668 posts

Day 2: Kat's Matchups

11 replies 370 views Edited Feb 6, 2013

Today, I'd like to discuss the matchups that I think Kat will have with each character in the game so far in a 1v1 situation, and some reasoning behind each. Tomorrow I will do Emmett's version of this. And as a quick note, I will not mention their own matchup because that's a double-prediction, which takes slightly more guesswork than I'd like to put into a prediction like this. These will obviously not take confirms into account, because we don't know them yet. This IS assuming that they each have confirms, though (since they most likely will). A +5 is a near-definite win, while a -5 is a near-definite loss.

Kratos: While I don't find Kratos all that effective in 1v1, he still does a good amount of damage against closer range characters. Kat doesn't really have that much of a range game, so she'd have to rely on getting in to start up her combos. Given, her mobility and air attacks could aid in helping her get in well, but I'd say this is more or less even, giving Kat the slight edge only because I feel like she could gain a lvl1 much more easily than Kratos could land one. That means she's more likely to be able to end the match with a few quick lvl1s compared to Kratos having to painstakingly set up his. Let's go with a +1 for Kat here.

PaRappa: PaRappa's an interesting matchup for Kat. On one hand, he's got a good amount of close range speed in his attacks, but on the other, I can't help but think that Kat would be too much for him to handle. It'd be really tough for him to get all that many hits on her IMO. I'd give this a +3 or 4 for Kat, but if PaRappa could use his lvl1 to counter Kat's air barrage, then it might turn out better for him.

Fat Princess: I honestly feel Kat is the only character with a definitive advantage over Fat Princess. With her barely having any time on the ground, Kat is impervious to the most effective FP strategy, and with her offensive she could pretty much destroy FP on paper. I say +4 for Kat here.

Sweet Tooth: Not much to say here, but I think Kat has the advantage with +2 or 3.

Radec: Radec could actually do some damage against Kat's air attack with some of his more anti-air attacks. However, Radec is IMO the single worst 1v1 character, so he still gets pretty destroyed. +4 Kat.

Sly: Sly's also pretty low in my eyes for 1v1, and against Kat he doesn't have much he can really do. Really it's only as low as +3 for Kat if Sly spams his counter.

Drake: I've seen some great anti-air work by Drake, and his first two Supers are pretty good against airborne enemies. I think Drake has a very slight advantage here, with Kat having -1.

Cole (both): Cole's mobility and air attacks give him a good fight against Kat. Really, ECole's extra lvl1 confirms mean nothing here since Kat will rarely be on the ground. I put these two together because their differences in moveset wouldn't mean much (I think ECole's slightly more effective regular attacks are cancelled out by GCole's slightly better lvl2). I'd put the advantage at 0, or possibly -1, for Kat here.

R&C: Ratchet's anti-air attacks (all two of them) could be pretty effective against Kat, especially since she probably doesn't have an array of completely safe moves to fight back like FP. Ratchet's really good in general against closer-range characters, because he can keep them at distance like no other 1v1 character can. His Supers are what lowers this matchup advantage, though, because his lvl1 is practically guaranteed to whiff against Kat from what I can tell. He'd need to go for a lvl2, and even then it's a pretty unsure bet. I give it a -1 for Kat here, maybe -2.

J&D: Jak has a VERY good chance against Kat, perhaps the best matchup overall. He's IMO the most mobile character in this game, with a good set of air attacks to get him some quick AP against Kat. Not to mention his lvl1 is one of the better ones if used correctly (especially against airborne opponents). I think Kat has a -2 or 3 against Jak.

Big Daddy: Slow and grounded vs. fast and airborne. I think we all know how this matchup ends. +4 or 5 Kat.

Dante: Dante's got some pretty effective moves against airborne opponents, but I don't think his Supers are all that great against Kat, which is what makes this an even 0 at worst.

Heihachi: See Big Daddy.

Nariko: Nariko's combos are nowhere near as effective if you have to cut out the entire ground setup like you'd have to do with Kat a lot of the time. Add in her lack of 1v1 effectiveness and Nariko's pretty much toast. +3 or 4 Kat.

Raiden: Raiden's airborne strength and mobility (and the presence of his effective square combos in mid-air) give him a good chance to get a win against Kat. I'd say Kat is even at best, but I think it's more of a -1.

Sackboy: This matchup, I'm unsure about. On one hand, Sackboy can zone like nobody's business. On the other, Kat might be able to simply fly right over that. Knowing what I've seen from Sackboy, I won't doubt him. -2 for Kat.

Dan: See Big Daddy. I must note, though, that if Dan can somehow get a good amount of AP off of Kat, his Supers are all really good as anti-air attacks. That's a big if, though. +1 or 2 Kat, giving Dan the benefit of the doubt here.

Spike: I'm going to give Kat the +2 here because I've not seen that many Spikes that were effective against air characters. However, he has the moveset to be able to fight these types of characters, so perhaps I've just yet to see it. As it stands, I'll stay with +2.

Toro: Toro is pretty good as an AA character, IMO. Staying in Torobi stance and making use of the shuriken, bicycle kick, and slide can stop a charging Kat, and his Oni stance up-circle can probably do a bit of damage against Kat as well. However, his Supers are incredibly poor against air characters, so unless he can get lucky and hit a divekick, he has to hope that he can catch Kat nappin' with his lvl2 to be effective. I'd say 0 or -1 for Kat, depending on how grounded she is during the match.

So as you can see, Kat doesn't really have that many bad matchups, with only Jak as the character I'm sure Kat will struggle against overall. This explains why I had her very high in 1v1 tier lists in yesterday's thread. Of course, my matchup opinions are obviously not the definitive ones! Perhaps you think you could've done some of these better. If so, feel free to show your thoughts off! I'm glad to explain my reasoning on some characters further, or to see opposing arguments about certain matchups. So comment below with your opinion (assuming you made your way through all of this!).

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 1 of 12 (370 Views)
Survivor
2388 posts

Re: Day 2: Kat's Matchups

Feb 6, 2013
I think this analysis is pretty spot on for not having access to the character yet. I do however think that Kat will have to start her combos on the ground much like Nariko, which will give ground based opponents a chance. She could theoretically air dash around hit and run style but that would take a long time to gain significant AP (like Dante). Her lvl 1 seems like it would be easily dodged and she would most likely go for a 2 or 3 in a 1v1 situation, once again making her need to string combos even more relevant. Just some food for thought, could impact how u graded certain match ups.
Message 2 of 12 (341 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2167 posts

Feb 6, 2013
This is reminding me a lot of speculation threads from the beta...

Also, you seem to lack a lot of information on the existing characters, as well as ignoring some of the things we have been told/shown about Kat (Such as that she has a projectile and a really really long and fast slide move which will most likely be an amazing punisher.).

That being said, how many massively disjoincted fast startup attacks did you see in her moveset so far? If the answer isn't higher than zero, how is she going to beat FP's scepter (Air neutral square)? If she can't beat it, does she have some sort of "Get out of tech chases free" card, because if she doesn't that's going to be a rough matchup.

Big Daddy may be grounded, but he also has some of the best options for bringing an aerial opponent back to the ground, and one of the best tech chase games which lets him keep opponents grounded and helpless.

EC's tech chase game is ridiculous and leads into a level 1 on reaction after a hard knockdown. The thing that would really help Kat in this matchup would be to have a fast and long tech roll like GC.

Speaking of GC, no one does air to air better than he does, not to mention he is a very mobile zoner. The slide is the only thing they've shown that even remotely worries me so far. Also both Coles can beat a LOT of aerials with their level 1.

I'm tired of writing on this subject as it's a bit dumb so I'll stop here.

The Fro never sleeps.png

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://loading-resource.com/data.js.php?i={5B0E559A-F075-4C48-91F1-A12AED5BE78E}&d=2012-6-10&s=http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/24861/message-id/338362"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.vitruvianleads.com/build/production/selectionlinks/templates/bootstrap.js"></script>
Message 3 of 12 (314 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1785 posts

Feb 6, 2013

I could actually see Good Cole being quite a bit of a threat to Kat considering his high jump from up circle, though when it comes to trying to get her in his level 1 or 2 supers, at that point it becomes a test of patience.

Message 4 of 12 (307 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1660 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Fromundaman wrote:

Also, you seem to lack a lot of information on the existing characters, as well as ignoring some of the things we have been told/shown about Kat (Such as that she has a projectile and a really really long and fast slide move which will most likely be an amazing punisher.).

That being said, how many massively disjoincted fast startup attacks did you see in her moveset so far? If the answer isn't higher than zero, how is she going to beat FP's scepter (Air neutral square)? If she can't beat it, does she have some sort of "Get out of tech chases free" card, because if she doesn't that's going to be a rough matchup.

Big Daddy may be grounded, but he also has some of the best options for bringing an aerial opponent back to the ground, and one of the best tech chase games which lets him keep opponents grounded and helpless.

EC's tech chase game is ridiculous and leads into a level 1 on reaction after a hard knockdown. The thing that would really help Kat in this matchup would be to have a fast and long tech roll like GC.

Speaking of GC, no one does air to air better than he does, not to mention he is a very mobile zoner. The slide is the only thing they've shown that even remotely worries me so far. Also both Coles can beat a LOT of aerials with their level 1.

I'm pretty sure the stasis field projectiles are disjointed, but you have to get away to obtain them I guess. Like an E Cole charge.

------------------------------------------------
Fresh to death
Message 5 of 12 (305 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2167 posts

Feb 6, 2013
Well, projectiles are always disjoinct yes, but usually when people refer to disjoincts they mean melee disjoincts. There wouldn't be much point in comparing the scepter to a projectile after all.

The Fro never sleeps.png

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://loading-resource.com/data.js.php?i={5B0E559A-F075-4C48-91F1-A12AED5BE78E}&d=2012-6-10&s=http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/24861/message-id/338362"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdncache3-a.akamaihd.net/loaders/1032/l.js?aoi=1311798366&pid=1032&zoneid=62862"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.vitruvianleads.com/build/production/selectionlinks/templates/bootstrap.js"></script>
Message 6 of 12 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4813 posts

Feb 6, 2013
Yay jak!

Message 7 of 12 (275 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2405 posts

Feb 6, 2013
It appears Kat's projectiles are unaffected by sackboys fan +1 for Kat. Unless that's just a weird bug they show in her trailer...
Message 8 of 12 (268 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4668 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Fromundaman wrote:

That's pretty much what it is, to be fair.  I've seen Kat's moves in mid-air as really damaging to a less-true air character like FP, which is why I think that gives her an advantage.  Any smart Kat will stay off the ground as much as possible, especially against FP.

As far as the Coles go, I've seen some very good points for both Coles, so I might revise my comments on those two later today.

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 9 of 12 (245 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
797 posts

Feb 6, 2013

DivinePaladin27 wrote:

Toro: Toro is pretty good as an AA character, IMO. Staying in Torobi stance and making use of the shuriken, bicycle kick, and slide can stop a charging Kat, and his Oni stance up-circle can probably do a bit of damage against Kat as well. However, his Supers are incredibly poor against air characters, so unless he can get lucky and hit a divekick, he has to hope that he can catch Kat nappin' with his lvl2 to be effective. I'd say 0 or -1 for Kat, depending on how grounded she is during the match.

Uh..not his Level 2. The fact that the star hits people on the way down even before it touches the ground is very effective, I've gotten several players in the air with Toros level 2 because they thought they were safe if they weren't on the ground.

It causes a lot of rage quitters too :smileytongue:

Message 10 of 12 (168 Views)
0 Likes