Feb 28 2013
By: Megawinner First Son 6 posts

DLC-Philosophy

10 replies 268 views Edited Feb 28, 2013

Well, I know this is by no means the only game with this issue, but I kind of feel cheated on when I boot up my not even half a year old game and keep getting told about what I did NOT get with my sixty bucks. I don't oppose DLC at all, but I think its used wrongly in our videogame society. I think it can be a great tool for developers struggling with deadlines or with developers that support their fans even afterward they bought the game (Like in Allstars: 14 stages really isn't that many, so I'd expect them to add more lateron for free. Same goes for characters, even though 20 is an OK-number) But here all we can find is moneymaking.
Of course now people will say "The developers should get paid for their additional services". I say, true, but they already were. Plus, making a game "bigger" with no additional costs could also result in higher sales, especially if it is...pardon, were...properly advertised.

If you think about it, would you have bought the game if it had had 24 characters from the beginning and had been 80 bucks? Or if it had contained all the DLC available now for a price of roughly 100 dollars? You see where this is going...

What do you guys think? Am I really the only one who it bugs to have these half-completed ful-priced games?

Message 1 of 11 (268 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Re: DLC-Philosophy

Feb 28, 2013

The dlc is so pricey because of all of the effort put into the dlc. Plus, with multiple devolpers and different parties, it's no wonder why they are not so cheep.

And if this game gets any Squae Enix or Activision characters, expect them to be pricey too. But it was mentioned that Crash would be free if he was ever added. So he is the only exception.

Message 2 of 11 (252 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
928 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 28, 2013

seriously, i have NO problem to pay 10 bucks for 2 characters... its not so much for me.. and 2 for a stage is nothing... but this is just my opinion

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 11 (247 Views)
Sackboy
505 posts

Feb 28, 2013

yea its rediculos that I have to pay $10 for only 2 characters

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 4 of 11 (220 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Feb 28, 2013

Exactly, that's what they want you to think. But twenty bucks for 4 characters....that's a third of what I paid for the whole game when iit was brand new. But 4 characters are only a fifth of the original roster, and then you have to consider that all the other parts of the game had to be made.

What happened to unlocking stuff? Now when I want to unlock something new, the game literally asks me to go to the PS store.

Message 5 of 11 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
361 posts

Feb 28, 2013

Megawinner wrote:

Exactly, that's what they want you to think. But twenty bucks for 4 characters....that's a third of what I paid for the whole game when iit was brand new. But 4 characters are only a fifth of the original roster, and then you have to consider that all the other parts of the game had to be made.

What happened to unlocking stuff? Now when I want to unlock something new, the game literally asks me to go to the PS store.

http://kotaku.com/5986592/it-will-blow-your-mind-to-see-how-much-it-costs-to-add-one-new-character-t...

Or its what you don't want to believe.

Message 6 of 11 (197 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
363 posts

Feb 28, 2013

Why is it that all gamers just want free stuff handed to them on a platter?! Developers do have to make money you know! Not just compensating them for their services but it actually COSTS money to make these characters they need to be able to make that back or they'll go broke!! It's basic business principle that you must cover your cost of production or you'll just lose money. $5 for a character is not bad, you people seem to only want to pay pennies for stuff.

Message 7 of 11 (180 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Feb 28, 2013

I agree with you to an extent. When I bought DLC for Assassin's Creed 2, I was excited... but had already completed the game. Trying to dive back into the story to a point that was before the ending I had already seen. I felt like, regardless of how cool the new stuff was, it couldn't be better than the game's climax because... if it was... then the climax would be a let down. Really there was no good way to have the DLC for that game incorporated (for me) unless I had waited to complete the DLC before finishing the game entirely.

With a game like All-Stars, though, I don't think DLC is bad. Firstly, the game was 20 dollars cheaper than most (at least when I bought it - it was only $40). That gave us the game on TWO platforms. Most games are more expensive for one less platform.

Then in February they gave us two characters for free (even if you didn't have the game you could download them for free on your PSN and be good in case you ever did get the game). They charged $2 for the stage.

I don't know if these new DLC characters will cost money, but I think it's worth paying for new content that is as game changing as new characters and stages. I can do without the alternative costumes, but they're nice additions for those who want them.

I don't view this game as half-completed, either, since it could've existed without the DLC and been just as good. It sucks from a competitvie standpoint becuase DLC is almost mandatory, but for non-fighting (or non-competitive) games, DLC is entirely optional and is meant to enhance the story. 

Now, if they released new characters every month after giving us a roster of like 10, and did this for a year (2 characters per month for 12 months), and we had to pay for EACH, then I'd agree that it's some BS.

Message 8 of 11 (178 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Feb 28, 2013

MercenaryDemon wrote:

Megawinner wrote:

http://kotaku.com/5986592/it-will-blow-your-mind-to-see-how-much-it-costs-to-add-one-new-character-t...

Okay, firstly (correct me if I'm wrong), I guess that's not entirely the same because as a bigger studio I assume SSM employs some people permanently.
Secondly, get the money from the game sales. Or heck, even from future games. (I know it sounds utopian)

Lastly, if that doesn't work out, don't make DLC at all, and especially don't tease inside the game!

Message 9 of 11 (168 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
361 posts

Feb 28, 2013

Megawinner wrote:

MercenaryDemon wrote:

Megawinner wrote:

Okay, firstly (correct me if I'm wrong), I guess that's not entirely the same because as a bigger studio I assume SSM employs some people permanently.
Secondly, get the money from the game sales. Or heck, even from future games. (I know it sounds utopian)

Lastly, if that doesn't work out, don't make DLC at all, and especially don't tease inside the game!

Except Superbot was paid by Sony to make the game and, considering that they dropped them, that is all. All the money made from the game goes to the publisher which in this case is Sony, not superbot.

The update uploaded the dlc characters and the images in the character roster so that everyone is capable of playing against the people with the DLC. It is purely to keep everyone up to date in terms of what the game has been updated to.

Its not like they pre-planned the dlc before the disc was out.

Message 10 of 11 (150 Views)
0 Likes